View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:24 AM

That would be something to see towers lining up along both 200 east and 200 west. Then toss in a few 600-plus footers on Main and State.

I think Salt Lake City has been building up the type of economy that is more resilient to the fluctuations that could occur this next decade. Salt Lake's construction was going comparatively gangbusters both during the great recession and covid. We shall see what happens this coming decade. Seems like Salt Lake has become one of a handful of cities where many people are choosing to escape to. I was surprised at how many suburban cities like Herriman had doubled and more than tripled in size over this past decade. Ha, then you have these sleepy little communities like Vineyard going from 139 people in 2010 to approaching 16,000. I think Salt Lake City and adjoining metros will easily pass the 3 million mark around 2030. Then it is on to 4 million the next decade. Because of its many topographical limitations, the pressure for Salt Lake City proper to go vertical and dense is becoming very pronounced. No more extravagant elbow room, even on the west side. I'm excited to see it happen. There will still be plenty of room for those who want and can afford the house with the picket fence in the suburbs or the coastal 1% who are flooding in and building their 12,000-plus sq. ft. mansions. I think more and more we'll see those mega-mansions built in the east backside counties of the Wasatch Metro. It will be interesting to see what happens to sleepy Morgan County over this next decade. I think it will become the northern metros version of the Park City ski area.

Here's an interesting article on one of the ways that the SLC metro is dealing with the onslaught of growth.

Do high-density apartments decrease nearby home values? Utah study says no - Jason Lee for the Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/2/...-study-says-no

SALT LAKE CITY — The demand for rental housing along the Wasatch Front has led to a jump in the number of high-density apartment and condominium units throughout the area.

And while some residents worry the large projects could diminish nearby home values, a new study indicates the opposite is true as prices for rental and single-family properties continue to climb.

A report released by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute at the University of Utah found that apartments built between 2010 and 2018 have had no adverse effects on the value of nearby single-family homes in suburban Salt Lake County. In fact, housing prices over the last decade have accelerated even as the residential real estate market has transitioned to the development of denser housing in a bid to slow the trend...

New apartments and town houses under construction in Herriman are pictured on Monday, Feb. 22, 2021. The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute and Salt Lake County Office of Regional Development co-hosted
a media roundtable discussion on the impact of high-density apartments on surrounding single-family home values in suburban Salt Lake County. Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; May 30, 2021 at 2:16 PM.