View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Can you imagine demolishing the hundreds of beautiful neighborhoods and historic homes that still exist in Central Los Angeles??? Of course, sensible corridors and downtown nodes such as Westwood, Hollywood, Wilshire Corridor, but to gut a West Adams, Country Club Park, Alvarado Terrace, Hancock Park, etc., etc. for a gawd awful aesthetic like Sao Paulo...NEVER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I agree....however, the city does not look welcoming to a lot of visitors since too many of its streets haven't been given this type of makeover....

Video Link

I was on ventura blvd yesterday, up towards woodland hills, & even a major street like that has a thicket of the official 'trees' of LA. Or what were once the trunks of living evergreen pines now turned into an eyesore. LA reportedly isn't that ambitious about dealing with this matter not just due to the cost but due to resistance from the union of the DWP.

we don't need things to go way above ground as much as we need things to go way below ground.

...And I agree with you. Infact, Power poles and lines are probably one of my two biggest pet peeves. The other here in L.A. would be the lack of property owners taking responsibility for the trash that accumulates in front of their properties. This is particularly obnoxious in Central L.A.. Districts such as Pico Union, West Adams, Rampart, Korea Town etc. The city needs to make property owners responsible whether they're a bank owning a vacant lot, a grocery store, commercial or residential. My neighborhood is historic and full of beautiful manor houses. Yet, just on my block it's not unusual to fill two large trash canisters per week with garbage, and this is a decent residential/commercial area that has made definite improvements over the past five years. This loose trash pickup does not include my spending a good 20 to 30 minutes calling 311 for bulky item pickup. It's ridiculous. If the property owners will not take responsibility and keep their parkways clean, then they should be ticketed in somewhat the same manner as the city tickets for parking violations. So often I find owners who live in places such as Laguna Nigel or Newport, who take no responsibility for keeping the parkways in front of their Central/Downtown commercial or residential properties clean. Usually it would be sooo easy for them to make their managers responsible as part of their management duties.

I'm okay with cleaning up my neighborhood regularly. It's the least I can do as something to give back to a city I love. Some people work the soup kitchen or 100 different giving back pursuits, and I clean my streets.

However, I realize the issue is city wide, and our politicians need to get involved. One of these days I need to start advocating something with the Mayor's office.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 1, 2020 at 4:46 PM.