View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:04 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Why will there be a zoning change required for that parcel? Isn't it already zoned for 2,000 ft? Must be a density issue, as I imagine the two tower plan probably has more units than the Calatrava proposal. (even though Related's two towers add up to less than 2,000 ft)
Did a little more research and I think I figured out why. This is zoned Planned Development (PD); any major change is considered an amendment. An amendment is treated for all intents and purposes as a rezoning.

As far as I can tell, this made it through the initial review by the Planning and Development Department, and public hearings and recommedations by the Chicago Plan Commission (which included the Lakefront Protection Ordinance review) and the City Council Committee on Zoning. It sounds like it hit the wall upon making it to the full council; what I'm unsure of is whether this even got a vote and was rejected, or has been tabled. It sounds like in any case it'd have to start the process all over again if any major changes are made.