View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Those renders are 12 months old, before Parsons Brinckerhoff was hired to examine routes, so they indeed reflect ideas that are now just place-holders. However they do remind us that the the idea of demolishing the Hilton could really open up space for better rail connections, even if just improving the pokey ATS and its podunk-scaled stations (only 1 tiny elevator and 1 narrow escalator per station) or, say, extending the CTA tunnel a couple hundred feet and have a modern-spec station where even express trains (with separate fare control) could berth.

Tantalizingly, demolishing the Hilton would also finally make productive all the under-used space on its north side, which is now just an intercity bus depot occupying what used to be Terminal 4 plus like 5 roadway lanes. The T4 bus depot could easily -- and should -- be relocated to the CONRAC area, so when combined with the dead space south of the Hilton, there's a very large area of land with tremendous potential.

Demolishing the Hilton would be somewhat of an architecture and planning loss. However new hotel construction is already being planned on the massive surface lot nearby. Afterwards, a modern hotel structure could even be erected in the space left over after redevelopment, nicely monetizing that land and providing amenities. I don't think any contractual terms with Hilton would be an obstacle.

IIRC, the city has expressed it's intent to renovate and expand the existing hotel and is looking for operators/developers to do that. I presume Hilton's agreement is up or will be soon.

I'm also pretty sure the shuttle bus center is going out to the CONRAC.