View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
OK, but "desirable" isn't necessarily "wealth belt" or "favored quarter". It isn't "is this area nice", it's "is this the absolute top tier part of the metro".
correct, the far northside is not top tier wealth, and i never claimed that it was, but much of it is still desirable. there are many desirable neighborhoods north of irving. that's all i was trying to correct.

Quote:
Certainly nothing between North Evanston and Lakeview has prices/demand similar to points north/south.
that's not really true. as i said in my last post, in my neighborhood of edegwater glen, SFH's routinely sell for $600,000 - $1,000,000, which is quite comparable to the prices of SFH's in the neighborhood i grew up in in southeast wilmette.

the big difference with my neighborhood compared to wilmette is that there are also a shit-ton of condo and apartment buildings which makes the neighborhood more affordable to people who can't take on a $600,000+ mortgage.

Quote:
And there are some troubled/high crime neighborhoods, like around the Wilson station in Uptown, or the Howard station in Rogers Park.
the "hood" along howard on the northern edge of rogers park is greatly exaggerated. i've ridden my bike DIRECTLY through that pocket twice a day, everyday, for the last 10 years. is there gang activity in that area? yes. are there occasional gang shootings? yes. is it like austin or englewood? fuck no.

the far northside of chicago is certainly not an area of "regionally dominant wealth", but much of it is easily one of the better parts of chicagoland to live in.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM.