View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
This is exactly trueviking's point about skyscrapers being good for postcards but not much else. What looks nice on a postcard is not necessarily the same as what makes for a lively, functional urban area.
Exactly. Look at our postcard right now. Esplanade Riel and CMHR look great, but you actually can't tell that 75% of its immediate surroundings is surface parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Personally, I'd vote for the lowrise 6-storey buildings not because I think towers don't provide desirable streetscapes, but for the reason that it's attainable. vike's comment below is my main fear regarding what would happen if residential at The Forks was planned as a group of 30 storey towers

This is a very Winnipeg scenario...
Precisely. I'd rather fill all the surface lots abutting the tracks (the Main side included) with medium density than throw everyone at The Forks, likely not have great street presence, and still have South Main sit empty and desolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
IMO 4-6 storeys are sufficient for the reasons given by vike, but if it were up to me I'd set aside a small patch of land on the site for a potential 20-30 storey tower in case the area really takes off. If it doesn't, then FNP can build one more 4-6 storey building.
This is a good idea.

Side note, not 100% sure but IIRC there is a 4 storey minimum. The thing to remember here is this is a planned neighbourhood owned by 1 entity (essentially). So they will be able to nitpick every detail of every development. If there's something they don't like, they won't allow it. It's not like a developer is magically going to have free will to build a duplex at Railside.