View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:34 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I can see a Geary line done multiple different ways, some using BART and some not, however I'm not really following your statement here?

24th/Mission and Balboa Park are the 5th and 6th busiest stations in the system (after the four Market St stations), with Daly City usually 8th or 9th. They perhaps don't need the same level of service as the Market St stations, but I think it would be a mistake to remove service. Besides, any Geary extension would NOT merge into the current Market St tunnel. That would be an operational nightmare that would undoubtedly lower capacity through the tube.

Ridership by station can be found here: http://www.bart.gov/about/reports/ridership
I mean that it makes more sense for these stations to be on a branch than on the core segment. A Geary subway would not lower capacity through the tube if the Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains currently ending at Daly City were redirected down Geary...

If Geary trains are not sent into the existing Transbay tube, then I would pair it up with another branch within SF rather than building a second tube. Is there really a pressing need for people to travel between the Richmond and the East Bay that couldn't be served with a well-designed transfer at Montgomery St or Civic Center?