View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:11 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Yes, the roads through the national parks are federal. But I believe the provinces involved also help pay for it, much in the same way the feds help pay for provincial roads. If it wasn't for the Alberta government kicking in for the road through Banff it would still be as bad as in Yoho (and let's not forget about Glacier which is also single lane and in really need of an upgrade in BC). It's obvious no funding is planned since they're doing repairs on the pathetic bridges within the park - which you don't do if you're serious about ever upgrading the road.
I don't beleive this is true, at least in the case of Banff (i.e. I think the highway twinning was 100% funded by the Feds). In fact, I have heard it would have been done much sooner had the it been up to the province of AB but they didn't have any juristiction.

I too find it incredibly frustrating the lack of priority given to upgrading the TCH. I blame the Feds for the most part as I think the TCH should be part of a national highway system. As mentioned - there isn't even a real plan/timeframe for completing the twinning through BC. It's a total joke and incredibly infuriating.