View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 6:50 AM

First off, thanks for the request Jimby. My first reaction was to turn it down as I don't really feel my photos compare with much in this thread. Buuuuuut then again, it is 'Getting to Know Your SSP Photographers', and not 'Getting to Know Certain SSP Photographers'. Also, I realize self-deprecation is highly annoying
And I was asked, so let's do this...

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?
Not much. I'd like to say I keep it simple by choice, but it's mostly due to financial constraints as to why my gear is extremely basic. I'm just rockin' a Canon Rebel, sometimes with a telephoto. I've taken around 13,000 pictures in 2 years with it so it's a good work horse:

216/365 - Pink Sun Delight by entheos_fog, on Flickr
My previous camera was just a Fuji S7000 and that crapped out after nearly 20,000 photos so I'm moving up the food chain slowly.
I also have one of those Holgas that I use on occasion but processing is pretty expensive. I like the results though, so random. Plus, when I post the photos I have to assure people these were NOT taken with some Hipstamatic app for an iPhone, it's shot on real film:

Dog in Park by entheos_fog, on Flickr
I also have an old Pentax SLR that I toy around with on occasion.

Inukshuk at English Bay by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I carry around a little point and shoot everywhere I go as my DSLR is too big to lug with me to work every day.
As for what I would like, I'd really love to have a wide-angle lens and a better all-purpose lens and one day upgrade to a better DSLR. But for what I use mine for, it's good for now. It's not the equipment that matters, but the user, right?!

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?
Jack of most trades perhaps? I started out doing a lot heritage building documentary-type photos in Calgary, capturing the disappearing and changing face of Calgary as it was going through a major boom.

Apartment Demolition - 325 12th Ave SE by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I still do that to some extent in Vancouver:

89/365 - Impending Doom by entheos_fog, on Flickr

but I have become very interested in street photography in the past few years. I love the idea of capturing every day people of the city, going about their daily business as well as capturing the mundane, the random or the strange. Anyone who's seen my threads knows this

94/365 - Man with Giant Painting by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Construction Workers by entheos_fog, on Flickr

112/365 - Old Man Selling Religion on the Street While Standing Next to a Giant Mural of the Incredible Hulk by entheos_fog, on Flickr

3/365 - Muffin Stump by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I'd like to do more portraits in the future perhaps:

135/365 - "We're half awake..." by entheos_fog, on Flickr

but I really do like candid scenes better:

177/365 - Untitled by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I do some photojournalism-type photography as well:

117/365 - Something to Say by entheos_fog, on Flickr

and architectural stuff:

Holy Rosary Cathedral by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Of course, once in a while I do like to bust out some more visually engaging photos:

Typical Scene by entheos_fog, on Flickr

176/365 - Rocks in the Water by entheos_fog, on Flickr

184/365 - Strawberry Fields Forever by entheos_fog, on Flickr

30/365 - Granville Street at Night by entheos_fog, on Flickr

One of my huge projects I've undertaken in the past few years has been my then and now series. I have now over 1000 such comparisons of Vancouver scenes. I love local history and I love capturing the city as we see it today because even in 10 years it will not be the same:

Hastings at Cambie - 1911/2007 by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

I'm a huge fan of Bernice Abbott and her mentor, the great Eugene Atget. I love the juxtaposition, social commentary and contrasts of their work. There's soo many other street photographers I could name, too.
Also, Fred Herzog, a legendary Vancouver photographer, mostly from the 50s and 60s, is a huge inspiration for me:
http://fredherzog.com/
I should mention, many SSPers who post photothreads and my flickr friends are a big source of influence and inspiration, especially those that take similar photos to me.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?

EVERYWHERE. I travelled extensively throughout the US and Canada when I was younger and but unfortunately I was not into photography and there's many cities in the US I'd love to visit and take photos, not to mention much of the world. This fall, me and my girlfriend have tentatively planned to visit Mexico City so I'm quite looking forward to that. In the future, when money permits, I will travel much more, camera in hand.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

They all seem to be around the same mark, which is fine. I really take to heart the comments and compliments when I post a thread as a lot of work goes into posting them, as you all know. My second to newest photothread, Vancouver: Takin' It to the Streets, racked up a large number of views in short order due to me posting the thread days before the Vancouver riots. So people likely went fishing for riot photos judging by the title, and there were none to be had.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

Like I said earlier, most of the threads do about the same. I don't put much stock into views although I think the title has a lot to do with the view count!
I do find it interesting which photos people like compared to different mediums I post in, whether it be here, flickr, or the ones on Facebook. Different people react to different photos in different ways

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

It's been said many times, but shoot shoot SHOOT! Get out there and walk around and take lots of pictures. Explore your city. Once you have the camera, it's free! SO there's no excuses.
Also, stay true to what you like. Different pics for different folks. Photography should be enjoyable as possible and I'm in my happy place when I'm shooting stuff I like to shoot best.
Carry around a camera EVERYWHERE you go. Even if it's a little point and shoot. You just never know...

134/365 - Man with Purple Cape by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Who should we ask these questions of next?
gotta keep it going with the Canadian content, so 1ajs... [/QUOTE]