View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:53 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

8:51 AM
MTA To Hold Public Hearing On Fare Hikes On Staten Island
By: NY1 News

Quote:
Riders on Staten Island will get their chance to weigh in tonight on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s proposed fare hikes.

Last night, it was straphangers in the Bronx who gave MTA officials an earful at Hostos Community College.

The MTA says it needs to raise fares by 7.5 percent to close its budget gap, but those who spoke at last night's hearing say they're being taken for a ride.

"You don't give a damn about us!” said one angry passenger. “You’re just here to just go through the motions."

"If the fare increases, that means we have to choose: child care, rent, MTA? I think that's unfair," said another.

“"I think that the reality is that people are expressing views about things to do with the MTA,” said MTA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jay Walder. “I think it's important for us to listen. I think the board feels it's important to listen."

MTA officials are considering plans that would raise the price of a seven-day card to $28 dollars – with a 22-ride limit, or, $29 for unlimited rides.

For a 30-Day card; customers would pay $99 for 90 rides, or $104 for an unlimited card.

Tonight's hearing gets underway at 6 o'clock at the St. George Theatre.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved.