View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy View Post
I highly doubt Obama of all people is going to roll back environmental and government regulations.
As I said before, New Starts is not a "government regulation" in the traditional sense. It was a program designed to make it difficult to build transit projects, in order to curtail the amount of money being spent on them. (and it also had the effect of redirecting a lot of the money that is spent, towards consultants)

I sincerely doubt that Obama will do anything to change the NEPA though. Highways and transit projects will probably both continue to be equally affected.

Something that gets me about the NEPA though, is that if you look at an EIS from the 1980s, and compare it with one from today, the one from today is about 10 times longer. And to the best of my knowledge there haven't been any significant changes to the actual law that says what must be included in an EIS. Part of it is just the consultants finding more work for themselves, and the "expectation" for what an EIS looks like has gradually crept upwards.