View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 7:16 PM
Teutonic Barbar

You still didn't respond to my questions.

Whatever. I don't understand why you get that excited 'bout my notion.
I just said I don't like the look of the facade these days. And yeah I've been to Manhattan (in 2005), even made the way up the ESB (spectacular views indeed, but freaking long queues).

Of course it's a stunning tower, but it doesn't mark the (aesthetical) peak of Art Decó - Chrysler Building takes the cake here (that was renovated some years ago, anyway). But that's nothing I'd like to discuss.

Well, maybe it's just bad limestone they chose - most other facades of that material look completely different, almost like sandstone.

The ESB is quite an exception and perhaps always had a facade like that, I dunno.

Pretty exhausting, but let me show what I mean. 2 shots I took of ESB:

Comparison: That's a part of a concrete facade. There may be better examples, but that one's doing it for now.

You don't have to understand that or agree with it. I guess you just don't want to.
But I'll still say: The ESB needs an exterior renovation. Dot.

And don't tell me you've been discussing the facade of ESB many times, that's ridiculous. Whatever, it just might be a matter of taste. I don't love this tower, since I'm more into older, yet classier designs (Woolworth, General Electric, Exchange Place 20, American Radiator, Flatiron, Municipal, Liberty Str 55 - the list goes on and on).

I studied civil engineering anyway, so don't tell me something 'bout material science. Don't want to brag but you intentionally seem to sound provoking.

Don't want to offend you, by the by. Let's leave an own opinion for everyone eh