View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 8:14 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
They all seek to prevent high unit density and a healthy mix of smaller/affordable and larger housing (which could combine to actually support vibrant retail strips with pedestrian activity 18-hours-a-day), and they increase the cost of development through their demands thereby increasing the cost of housing. They also demand way too much off-street parking (see pedestrian friendliness, above). So you're left with a neighborhood almost as expensive as Gold Coast but without the desirability/urbanity and just generally inferior other than its proximity to a major expressway interchange.

By so severely limiting development potential, they also deprive the city budget of potential tax revenue that could avert the need for property tax hikes.

If you define "South Loop" as around 18th street then I'd largely agree with you in terms of overall deadness, but time was that was considered "Near South Side" and South Loop actually referred to the Printer's Row area, generally between Congress and Roosevelt, which has much much MUCH more going on than West Loop, not to mention superior relative location to the best urban assets of Chicago.
Halsted, Madison and Randolph are some of the most vibrant, pedestrian friendly streets in the city. When compared to the south loop (south of Roosevelt, east of Michigan), the west loop blows it away as far as dining/drinking and retail. I'm not saying its better, because of the lakefront and cultural options the SL has, its just a matter of what you prefer to have in a neighborhood. And the west loop is just as close to the loop as Printer's Row is, furthermore Congress is probably the least pedestrian friendly street in the city. I dont see the "much much MUCH more" that is going on. I mean, name one restaurant besides Bar Louie in Printer's Row. I cant even think of a single bar either.

And comparing it to the GC is silly, the GC has a 100 year head start as a residential neighborhood.

I just did an exhaustive search for my girlfriend for a one bedroom condos in the entire downtown area and found the west loop to be the lowest priced of all neighborhoods bordering the loop, especially for new construction.

Like I said, I dont agree with the restrictions at all, but I dont think its having the detrimental effects you're stating.

Last edited by cbotnyse; Mar 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM.