View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
newflyer, I hear you (and other people) constantly ramble about how Regina completely relies on the government, yet I never hear the statistics to back those claims up.

So here they are, as you see, government services (also including education, social sciences, and religion) only make up a small percentage of the total workforce

source: http://www.regina.ca/pdfs/ReginaProfile.pdf
Are we still talking about this? Oy. The thing about that table is that all the government jobs include only jobs directly for the government. See those 25000 jobs working in the service industry? A lot of those are crown corporation jobs - jobs that are in Regina because it's the capital. Crowns are good because they're stable, well paying jobs, but won't fuel a lot of growth. Regina's core industries (industries that bring money into Regina) are a lot smaller than Saskatoon's, so when industry is expanding, Saskatoon reaps the benefits more than Regina.

And I know, someone from Regina is going to say "look at Ipsco or the refinery". Well, you're right, but take those two entities away, and my point becomes even stronger. Dudes, don't be so defensive! Regina is a great town, it's stable, people are well off for the most part, but growth has been very slow for decades. That's just the way it is.