View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Disagree. The 80s crash is a major reason for this. A lot of the office space became vacant after the 80s crash. All the banks that built the office space failed. Now, those buildings are being converted because they’re obsolete. Dallas is one of the top cities in the nation for office conversions. New projects are proposed to help with that, like the new convention center project and a few other projects that have stalled because of high interest rates. Deep Ellum is infilling and so is the Design District, Old East Dallas, Knox-Henderson, North Oak Cliff (Bishop Arts District). I will show all those areas in the next post.
Houston fared worse than Dallas, especially since its economy was much more energy related (I read somewhere that it was 80%+ dependent on oil in the early 80s). Yet, Houston has built downtown towers, both office and residential. It seems that downtown Dallas has been a poor competitor to the suburban sprawl of the area, for both offices and residential. In the 80s and 90s, I was reading about the growth in Plano, several miles away, and now the news is all about the growth a further several miles in Frisco. But perhaps, it's possible one day downtown Dallas may burst in new construction and development like downtown Los Angeles has.