View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I was checking those cities and they're still incredibly White. I thought they would have more minorities at this point. It's crazy the segregation levels in Detroit.
The residents are very white, but it's complicated. The schools are majority black, and the area is diverse in other respects. In short, younger, left-leaning UMC American white people like these kinds of towns, and Asians, immigrants, and other nonwhites head to sprawl. UMC sprawl towns like Novi now have 70% Asian public schools.
Quote:
And yes, according to Wikipedia, they're indeed the centre of LGBT community in Detroit. I wonder if at some point the gayhood will go to Downtown/Midtown/New Center axis. It seems to be a much more interesting place than this suburban setting.
That was historically the gayborhood. New Center was the gayborhood, then Palmer Park, then Ferndale. They moved to Ferndale in the 1980's bc Palmer Park was getting unsafe.
Quote:
About Shaker Heights, I've never heard of it naturally, till that Reese Witherspoon series, Little Fires Everywhere. From the TV series, it didn't strike me as very wealthy though, but more a this kind of polite, semi-urban US upper middle-class.
Yes, Shaker Heights is basically Huntington Woods. Lefty, UMC, establishment. There are some rich streets but it's mostly UMC. Shaker Heights is nationally well-known as a longtime establishment suburb.
Quote:
A house this size in this Huntington Woods place? How much would it cost?
If it existed, it might go for $4 million or something. But it doesn't exist. There are no homes of that size in Huntington Woods.

The real wealth is to the north in Birmingham-Bloomfield, and it might go for a few million more there, but hard to say bc the carrying costs on such an old house would have to be something crazy like 300k+ annually. You'd prolly spend a million bucks just replacing all the windows.