View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Could it be that Brazilian women are increasingly affirming themselves and that many men aren't accepting this too well, with some striking out violently?

(I think the same evolution may have happened where I live, though I've never read anything conclusive. It's just my personal théorie de salon.)
I guess it's more a matter of how police report and then how the crime is prosecuted afterwards. It's a relatively new piece of legislation (2015) so I guess in the first years of the law such crimes were prosecuted simply as "homicide" with some aggravating. Now they're going straight to the new law. As the number of women murdered is pretty much stable around 4,000 (slowly declining as the rest of homicides), that's the most likely explanation.

"Feminicídio" is a made up word but today everybody understands the meaning. In the beginning some people mocked it as something "woke", but now it's taken seriously all over the board.

I think it's important as it makes society more aware of its most important problems. Like racism, for example, which has been criminalized in Brazil for a long time and the Supreme Court extended it to cover homophobia as well three years ago. Racists/homophobics could be punished indirectly (libel) previously, but it's important for a society to state is values and take such issues way more seriously. On the press, "feminicídios" certainly take more coverage under this new label than it had previously.

Anyway, I know it's 200 million people country, but still 1,463 is still a horribly high number. And that's the most extreme form: millions of women suffer all kinds of abuse daily.