View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Savannah is like New Orleans' long lost cousin. Portland should just admit it wants to be like California and ask to be annexed. Seattle is find where it is an is satisfied being the Boston of the west.
It's interesting you'd connect Seattle to Boston as its West Coast counterpart, because in my years of living in both Seattle and Portland, it feels much more that Portland is Boston and Seattle is New York. When I lived in Seattle, almost everyone who came to visit me would remark how much Seattle reminded them of New York (not physically or geographically, of course, but the general "vibe" and culture). That's not really scientific at all, of course. I do think that perhaps there's something to be said about the DNA of both cities based on which American settlers built each place up. For Portland, that was New Englanders, and Seattle, the Terry Brothers who had joined up with the Dennys were from New York (perhaps also worth adding that they named their first site, at present Alki Beach, New York).