View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:56 PM

When I first posted the b&w photo of the Phone Booth (above) I had seen two small snapshots of it in color on the corner of SMB and La Cienega from 1969 and I assumed the b&w photo was the same place/location. (The guy who owned the Phone Booth had another related business across the street called the Extension, .) But looking at that photo and comparing it to the the one you found on eBay, E_R, I began to reconsider. First, the Alta Cienega Motel is on the North side of it, and this site, LINK, says it dates back to 1948. There was no row of businesses like that on La Cienega.

Since you mentioned you thought it might be on the strip, I began to think the other photo mght be as it looks like many places/rows of buildings up on the strip.

I tried looking up any info on "Shaw's" in the photo, but no luck. I found a matchbook, though, listed on eBay, LINK, for the Phone Booth (Featuring People and Telephones) with a 9011 Sunset Blvd. address and the current building there is very similar to the one in the b&w photo.
_____

ETA: It occurred to Ed Ruscha's "Every Building on the Sunset Strip" might have a photo of this place, but I don't have time to look for it right now. HINT.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Sep 15, 2023 at 6:31 PM.