SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

accord1999 Mar 29, 2020 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8877279)
Can they clean/sterilize them so they can be reused?

It seems possible with UV light or warm, dry air.

https://i.imgur.com/9F3oXcE.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/com...n_be/?sort=new

chris08876 Mar 29, 2020 4:11 AM

NYC State of Emergency : Driving By Lenox Hill, NYU & Bellevue Hospitals (March 28, 2020)

Video Link

Makeshift morgue can be seen.

Pedestrian Mar 29, 2020 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by accord1999 (Post 8877483)
It seems possible with UV light or warm, dry air.

There are probably many ways. Besides those you mentioned, there's ozone, ethylene oxide gas, microwaves and, I'm sure others.

I have an ozone generator at home that cleans my CPAP gear. Hospital low temp sterilizers (necessary for equipment with rubber and other materials that can't take heat) use ethylene oxide. I've read microwave radiation also works which is why I microwave my newspaper and now my mail.

Pedestrian Mar 29, 2020 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8877498)
NYC State of Emergency : Driving By Lenox Hill, NYU & Bellevue Hospitals (March 28, 2020)

Video Link

Makeshift morgue can be seen.

Can you see this video? I'm not seeing embedded youtube videos any more which is why I'm also posting the full URL. I just noticed, though, that if I click on where it says "video link" I can see it.

CaliNative Mar 29, 2020 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877297)
Stocks: Not now but near the lows (or if we revisit them) I bought calls in Medtronic (makes ventillators--MDT), Baxter (makes IV fluid and a wide range of medical supplies--BAX), Charles River Labs (arms supplier to the biotech industry--CRL), Thermo Fisher Scientific (makes the key machine that runs PCR tests for coronavirus--TMO). Not buying major pharma because I already have plenty of a closed end fund, THW, that owns them (and another that owns Regeneron--HQH) but did you catch the interview with the CEO of Sanofi I posted?

I wouldn't know where to get N95 masks now--everyone has scoured the market. I bought 25 of them online back in January--hopefully enough since they can be worn multiple times. I plan to wear mine mainly in closed spaces--that darned elevator.

I also posted an interview with the CEO of Owens & Minor which makes face masks detailing how they hope to ramp production. They are already running their production lines 20 hours per day (he says they have to shut down 4 hours for maintenance).

I personally don't see why they can't be sterilized and re-used, but I'm a little out of date. My niece is currently an ER nurse and I asked her the same question today. Hasn't responded yet.

I think a retest of the lows is likely, so I started buying a few SPY puts last week (I had quite a few back in early March so did well with them when the market broke down a few weeks ago). But I do like many of the pharma stocks still (MRK, NVS, SNY and smaller GILD). Should hold up well. Pay good dividends as well. As far as mask makers go, 3M and Honeywell make the N95s in big demand, but the masks are just a small part of their business (larger lately). A purer play in masks and other protective gear is Canadian company Alpha ProTech (APT). I just saw a report on CNN that APT have started making a lot of N95s at a new plant in Utah. They own the Canadian market. Have some Hormel shares--people can't get enough of the canned food, including Spam. The good old standards like KO & PEP should hold up even if the market returns to the lows or even breaks below them (SPY $180-200???). But the worst of the crash was probably the day the Dow fell almost 3000. Once the market seems to bottom might buy some infrastructure plays--CAT, etc. Infrastructure spending should pick up once the covid goes away to put people to work. War on potholes. Also Ag commodities like corn & wheat do seem very cheap. Might buy some. The peak covid may disrupt normal planting, so supplies might be constrained. CORN & WEAT & DBA look like good ETFs to buy now--they also offer call options which are cheap. CORN Aug & Nov calls look like a winner.

Question about the masks. I bought some Curad antiviral surgical masks a few months ago for the flu season. They do claim to filter out the viruses, but they have the loose edges so air can get in through the sides. I wonder if the sides can be taped with duck tape or some other tape like that? Even if the masks don't block all the viruses, they do prevent me from touching my mouth, nose and eyes (have glasses) which is the way the virus gets in. So they are useful. As far as sterilizing the masks for reuse, would a few minutes in an oven at 180-200 degrees F. do the trick? I also wear surgical gloves and carry Purel sanitizer. I am more prepared than most. Looks foolish, but who cares? It pays to be a germaphobe in these times. I bet the virus peaks by middle or end of April, but the number of U.S. cases could exceed 1,000,000 or more. Pretty bad. But by May, there will be hope, but it will take years to get back to "normal". After the 1918 "Spanish" flu pandemic, things got going in the Roaring '20s. People do forget, but it may take a while. When I was a kid, they had the scary summer polio outbreaks--every kid back then feared wnding up in an iron lung. Then Salk and later Sabin vaccines came along and everything got better. Hopefully soon there will be a drug or treatment for covid (remdesivir?), and later a vaccine. Hopefully we will be better prepared for the next one. I am an optimist, but the next few weeks could be grim.

the urban politician Mar 29, 2020 3:13 PM

I called a number of local restaurants last night to carry out (Saturday evening!) and nobody was picking up the phone.

This is not good. If this lasts beyond another month, I imagine a lot of these places will simply be out of business.

SIGSEGV Mar 29, 2020 3:24 PM

I just got an email from my large apartment building that they won't be charging late fees this month and will be donating a portion of one-time payments to a local food bank. That's nice of them I guess.

jmecklenborg Mar 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8877679)
I called a number of local restaurants last night to carry out (Saturday evening!) and nobody was picking up the phone.

This is not good. If this lasts beyond another month, I imagine a lot of these places will simply be out of business.

I am surprised by which places are open for carry out and which aren't. For example, last night I walked past a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse that was doing carry-out. Who gets steak for carryout?

SteveD Mar 29, 2020 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8877679)

We tried to support local last night and gave up. Our favorite pub was out of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices, and the next two places we called the phone just rang and rang and no one picked up. I had a feeling this was going to be the case. This morning I awoke to two of those three places posting on Facebook in so many words, "thanks for all the love people, we tried to make this work but it's not working so unfortunately we're closing for good until further notice".

The North One Mar 29, 2020 4:55 PM

New York has the biggest one day increase in deaths since the pandemic started.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/29/...rk-update.html

KevinFromTexas Mar 29, 2020 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877576)
Can you see this video? I'm not seeing embedded youtube videos any more which is why I'm also posting the full URL. I just noticed, though, that if I click on where it says "video link" I can see it.

I'm not sure what the reason for that is. It's happening to me as well.

sopas ej Mar 29, 2020 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 8877709)
I am surprised by which places are open for carry out and which aren't. For example, last night I walked past a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse that was doing carry-out. Who gets steak for carryout?

That's how it's been where I live too; some places have full-on closed "until further notice," while others do provide take-out/delivery. And many drive-thru fast-food restaurants are still operating as drive-thru only.

How's everyone holding up? I've been looking up 1960s Bollywood videos:

Video Link

JoninATX Mar 29, 2020 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8877759)
New York has the biggest one day increase in deaths since the pandemic started.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/29/...rk-update.html

Sadly there is much we can stop it. By the time it's all over we could see millions dead.

tdawg Mar 29, 2020 6:47 PM

Dr. Fauci said this morning that the death toll in the country could reach 100k - 200k. That's a horrifying number.

SIGSEGV Mar 29, 2020 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8877892)
Dr. Fauci said this morning that the death toll in the country could reach 100k - 200k. That's a horrifying number.

That sounds like a best case scenario to me, unfortunately.

chris08876 Mar 29, 2020 7:06 PM

For NJ today.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...76d373b440.png

BG918 Mar 29, 2020 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8877919)
That sounds like a best case scenario to me, unfortunately.

Statistically we could see well over a million deaths. Some models, like this one from the Imperial College of London, predict potentially over 2 million deaths in the United States.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/03/...t--in-detail-/

chris08876 Mar 29, 2020 8:10 PM

Video Link

Quote:

The nation's most populous state is bracing itself for a surge in coronavirus cases. Health officials predict Los Angeles could face New York-level crisis. Danya Bacchus reports.

chris08876 Mar 29, 2020 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8877576)

Yeah I can see it.

I've also had that issue as well in the past. Its hit or miss with me. Some days it works, other times, I have to click the video link.

IDK if SSP is having issues with the embedding process, but I think it should be looked into. I hear other folks also have similar issues.

Edit: I put a thread up in the forum issues. Maybe the mods or web admins can look into it. Its been going on for like a month+ I've noticed.

Pedestrian Mar 29, 2020 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 8877589)
I think a retest of the lows is likely, so I started buying a few SPY puts last week (I had quite a few back in early March so did well with them when the market broke down a few weeks ago). But I do like many of the pharma stocks still (MRK, NVS, SNY and smaller GILD). Should hold up well. Pay good dividends as well. As far as mask makers go, 3M and Honeywell make the N95s in big demand, but the masks are just a small part of their business (larger lately). A purer play in masks and other protective gear is Canadian company Alpha ProTech (APT). I just saw a report on CNN that APT have started making a lot of N95s at a new plant in Utah. They own the Canadian market. Have some Hormel shares--people can't get enough of the canned food, including Spam. The good old standards like KO & PEP should hold up even if the market returns to the lows or even breaks below them (SPY $180-200???). But the worst of the crash was probably the day the Dow fell almost 3000. Once the market seems to bottom might buy some infrastructure plays--CAT, etc. Infrastructure spending should pick up once the covid goes away to put people to work. War on potholes. Also Ag commodities like corn & wheat do seem very cheap. Might buy some. The peak covid may disrupt normal planting, so supplies might be constrained. CORN & WEAT & DBA look like good ETFs to buy now--they also offer call options which are cheap. CORN Aug & Nov calls look like a winner.

I'm leery of buying mask and other acute PPE suppliers because I suspect within months their products could be no longer in shortage and will eventually be in oversupply. But for those who must buy them, Owens & Minor is a US small-cap heavily into those. I agree with most of the rest of what you said and own KO calls as well as ADM (there's your corn and wheat). Thinking there may eventually be an infrastructure stimulus, I also sold puts in CAT and URI and may buy some calls.

Quote:

Question about the masks. I bought some Curad antiviral surgical masks a few months ago for the flu season. They do claim to filter out the viruses, but they have the loose edges so air can get in through the sides. I wonder if the sides can be taped with duck tape or some other tape like that? Even if the masks don't block all the viruses, they do prevent me from touching my mouth, nose and eyes (have glasses) which is the way the virus gets in. So they are useful. As far as sterilizing the masks for reuse, would a few minutes in an oven at 180-200 degrees F. do the trick? I also wear surgical gloves and carry Purel sanitizer. I am more prepared than most. Looks foolish, but who cares? It pays to be a germaphobe in these times.
Yes, you can tape the sides of your masks--medical people do it all the time. As for sterilizing them, DON'T PUT THEM IN THE OVEN. PUT THEM IN THE MICROWAVE (assuming they don't have any metal), but not for too long. 15-20 seconds will probably do it.

Quote:

Microwave or autoclave treatments destroy the infectivity of infectious bronchitis virus and avian pneumovirus but allow detection by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction
G. Elhafi, C. J Naylor, C. E. Savage and R. C. Jones*
Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Liverpool, Leahurst, Neston, South Wirral, CH64 7TE, UK

A method is described for enabling safe transit of denatured virus samples for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) identification without the risk of unwanted viable viruses. Cotton swabs dipped in avian infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) or avian pneumovirus (APV) were allowed to dry. Newcastle disease virus and avian influenza viruses were used as controls. Autoclaving and microwave treatment for as little as 20 sec destroyed the infectivity of all four viruses. However, both IBV and APV could be detected by reverse transcriptase (RT)-PCR after autoclaving and as long as 5 min microwave treatment (Newcastle disease virus and avian influenza viruses were not tested). Double microwave treatment of IBV and APV with an interval of 2 to 7 days between was tested. After the second treatment, RT-PCR products were readily detected in all samples. Swabs from the tracheas and cloacas of chicks infected with IBV shown to contain infectious virus were microwaved. Swabs from both sources were positive by RT-PCR. Microwave treatment appears to be a satisfactory method of inactivating virus while preserving nucleic acid for PCR identification.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/...eedAccess=true

Quote:

Can Your Microwave at Home Kill Viruses?

The short answer is YES. In fact, there is research on using the microwave in your kitchen to kill lethal viruses like HIV (1). How much for how long?

First, there’s the power of your microwave. This is measured in watts. The higher the watts, the shorter the cooking time. The above study used a wattage of 800. The average microwave oven these days has a wattage of about 1,000 (from my review of what’s being sold on Google). It seems hard to buy a microwave with less than 700 watts, so yours likely has more than enough power.

Second, for how long do you need to cook? The above study observed the destruction of the virus at 2 minutes at 800 watts. So 2 minutes in the average microwave should be more than enough time.

How About Coronaviruses?

Another study looked at the coronavirus called IBV (Avian Coronavirus) and a kitchen microwave (wattage not reported but they noted that this was a kitchen model) (2). The researchers couldn’t isolate this coronavirus (meaning it was dead) with an exposure of as little as 5 seconds!

How Does this Work?

Viruses contain plenty of hydroxyl groups that vibrate as shown in the animation above. These produce heat. Most experts believe that it’s the heat that really kills the virus. However, the one study above that shows that 5 seconds works, may mean it’s more than the heat.

My Recommendations?

We know that the coronavirus is deactivated by heat (3). 56C (132 F) reduces the alive virus by 10,000 times by 15 minutes. Hotter temps will kill more virus more quickly. Hence, I would heat your food for 2 minutes or so, getting it boiling hot. For example, I was reheating chili which I microwaved for 2 minutes until I saw it begin to boil. I then took it out and cooled it off by stirring it which took a few minutes and then jumped in!

https://regenexx.com/blog/coronaviru...l-coronavirus/

The problem with microwaving is that some things that can catch on fire or melt (certain plastics) and metal, of course, arcs. I think that may preclude microwaving for several minutes but you can experiment a little. I'm leaning on the research that says as little as 5 seconds can do it. I've found that microwaving my newspaper 15 seconds on a side doesn't ignite it or do much harm at all. One other poster said he's doing his 20 seconds on a side.

There's research on microwaving sponges to kill viruses that concludes that minutes, not seconds are needed but germs get into the interior of sponges. With newspapers or masks, they'd all be on the surface. Like I said, do some experimenting with how long you can blast the mask without doing any damage.