SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8868409)
Doesn't California give a break to its gas vendors in border areas where motorists can easily skip across the state line buy cheaper gas?

Not that I've noticed. I buy gas when I travel back to SF in Parker, AZ because CA prices apply in Needles, CA, the other option.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...729880/enhance

Obadno Mar 20, 2020 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8868438)
Nobody is going to enforce this. And what are they supposed to do; put you in jail (which is going to become almost as much a hotbed of COVID-19 disease as a nursing home)?

If your gardener is willing to do it, nobody is going to stop him. The order, so far as I can tell, even still encourages solitary outdoor activities like dog walking and exercise jogging/bike riding. Lawn mowing is no more dangerous if the mower doesn't come into your house. Maybe Venmo his pay though.

Well really thats the thing, these are all primarily voluntary

There is no realistic way to enforce this, and at some point very soon people will really panic and they will defy any orders to get food and see their loved ones.

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8868453)
they will defy any orders to get food and see their loved ones.

As far as I know, food shopping is considered an essential activity and food stores essential so that should remain authorized although personally I think I have everything I need for a few weeks and I have been supplementing a bit with online orders (but those delivery people are defying the bans and I think that's also OK).

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8868453)
at some point very soon people will really panic and they will defy any orders to get food and see their loved ones.

a "shelter in place" order doesn't mean the authorities will shoot you dead if you set foot outside of your home, it just means to suspend all non-essential business.

going to the grocery store is essential business

going to the pharmacy is essential business

even going for a walk, run, or bike ride for some fresh air is ok, provided you keep yourself a safe distance from others.

going to a birthday party at your friend's house is NOT essential business and is EXACTLY the kind of social behavior that a shelter in place order is intended to prohibit.

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 7:40 PM

^^Walking the dog is definitely essential business. Just ask the dog.

It's one reason I have a cat.

sopas ej Mar 20, 2020 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868506)
a "shelter in place" order doesn't mean the authorities will shoot you dead if you set foot outside of your home, it just means to suspend all non-essential business.

going to the grocery store is essential business

going to the pharmacy is essential business

even going for a walk, run, or bike ride for some fresh air is ok, provided you keep yourself a safe distance from others.

going to a birthday party at your friend's house is NOT essential business and is EXACTLY the kind of social behavior that a shelter in place order is intended to prohibit.

Exactly. Some of you are being really spastic and alarmist, and seem more worried about the economy than human lives. I have a sneaking suspicion that really it's about the "inconvenience" this is causing many and people are really just pissed off about that. Just roll with it, people.

Edit: I understand the income concerns, totally, but you'll get by. Apply for the unemployment, seek more gig jobs that aren't banned... These are dire times, and when it comes to survival, this is really what it's about. Hell, in the US, I always felt that apart from really wealthy people, they are the only ones who "live" in the US, the rest of us are just surviving.

sopas ej Mar 20, 2020 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8868497)
As far as I know, food shopping is considered an essential activity and food stores essential so that should remain authorized although personally I think I have everything I need for a few weeks and I have been supplementing a bit with online orders (but those delivery people are defying the bans and I think that's also OK).

I would assume those delivery people are essential; I spoke with one of our regular couriers this morning, and he said that he has been really busy lately, it's almost like it's that peak holiday season again. More people are staying home and ordering stuff online. He says the boxes have become heavier and bulkier; he's delivering stuff like diapers and water bottles.

photoLith Mar 20, 2020 7:45 PM

^
I don’t care about inconvenience. I care about tens of millions losing their jobs and having to lose everything.

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8868523)
^I care about tens of millions losing their jobs and having to lose everything.

that part totally sucks, but it's going to happen either way.

as i told you before, that ship has already sailed. wave goodbye to the good ship Economy.

right now, it's all about preventing the collapse of our health care system, as witnessed in italy.

chris08876 Mar 20, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8868514)
^^Walking the dog is definitely essential business. Just ask the dog.

It's one reason I have a cat.

Cats are very judgmental though. A dog... will go for the walk and be happy. A cat, will go for the walk, but wonder why your making him/her walk on uneven terrain.

Dogs will eat just about anything, cats are picky though. Not that kind of cat food, but this one.

destroycreate Mar 20, 2020 8:10 PM

Quote:

^
I don’t care about inconvenience. I care about tens of millions losing their jobs and having to lose everything.

It's a real thing. But allowing people to go to work and still carrying on will only delay the inevitable.

Honestly, it's a matter of what's the lesser of two evils.

JManc Mar 20, 2020 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868528)
that part totally sucks, but it's going to happen either way.

as i told you before, that ship has already sailed. wave goodbye to the good ship Economy.

right now, it's all about preventing the collapse of our health care system, as witnessed in italy.

Exactly. We're already in a global recession. Best we can hope for is avoiding a depression which is total possibility at this point. Depending how long this lasts and how well we handle it.

sopas ej Mar 20, 2020 8:34 PM

Earlier, my gardener question? Where I thought it might be a possibility that I would start mowing my parents' lawn because their gardener might not be allowed to? Well this, from the LA Times, answers my question:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...57&oe=5E9B1353

Just in case anyone else was wondering.

montréaliste Mar 20, 2020 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868378)
perhaps, but other states will follow.

it's only a matter of time.

like i said, dominoes, once one goes...........

you can either pre-emptively lockdown and end up with a wrecked economy and hope that your healthcare system can hold on for dear life.

or you can do the italy thing and lockdown too late and end up with a wrecked economy AND a guaranteed wrecked healthcare system.

the economy is going to get wrecked either way.

i'm afraid that ship has sailed, my friend.

it's all about crisis mitigation now.

I know how you feel. We all have different stakes in the game. Right now, I have my two private jets grounded and a yacht stalled in Barbados, and can't get to it. Rough.

...and am out of turlet paper.

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 9:09 PM

connecticut is now going "stay at home" as well, joining CA, NY, & IL.

as i said earlier, once the first domino falls...........

subterranean Mar 20, 2020 9:14 PM

Quote:

https://pamplinmedia.com/images/arti...75717-0644.jpg
Oregon Convention Center to become homeless shelter
by Jim Redden

The decision by Metro and Multnomah County will last during the COVID-19 crisis.

Source: https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4...it_nosession=1

MonkeyRonin Mar 20, 2020 9:31 PM

If I were homeless I'd much rather be on the street or camping in park somewhere than crammed into a massive shelter right now...

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 9:32 PM

Quote:

^

Having things delivered and staying out of stores is about "flattening the curve" and even though some don't believe how important that could be, I do because I've run an emergency room.

austlar1 Mar 20, 2020 9:36 PM

I see many homeless people (some with their dogs) all over town. They really stand out now that the streets are so empty of traffic. It's heartbreaking to know that some of them are likely to get sick and possibly die out of view in camp sites buried deep in the woods and vacant lots. The homeless and the undocumented are going to be hit very hard. A couple (Hispanic, probably Central American) came to my door yesterday begging for any kind of work. The man stood back looking very sheepish but eager while the woman struggled in very poor English trying to convince me that I should let her husband trim my trees. My trees were recently trimmed. I had no work for them and did not even have cash on hand to give a hand out. The woman looked so desperate and frightened. It broke my heart. What will happen to people like that when everything that sustains them shuts down? Will they even be able to get medical help?

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8868684)
If I were homeless I'd much rather be on the street or camping in park somewhere than crammed into a massive shelter right now...

You referring to the Ritz-Carlton as a "shelter", bro?

I already posted San Francisco is renting them hotel rooms (they won't say which hotels but since they are all empty and greedy for anybody to rent their rooms, it could be some nice ones).

I think at least here they understand it's important to provide individual rooms (except to couples). The usual shelter would be like those Chinese temporary hospitals = worse than a nursing home as far as spreading infection. At least the folks in the Chinese hospital were all presumably already infected with coronavirus (though perhaps not flu and other things they could catch from one another). Homeless people in a similar space presumably wouldn't be.