SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Aug 27, 2012 2:53 AM

Anyone heard of a residental project under construction on Fillmore and 5th Ave? Maybe I missed the memo, but I never heard about this.

Quote: There are new residential towers going up on Roosevelt and 3rd St, one about to break ground a few blocks away from that project, residential under construction on Filmore and 5th Ave

From: http://jsethanderson.com/2012/07/10/...ss-in-phoenix/

nickw252 Aug 27, 2012 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 5811536)
Anyone heard of a residental project under construction on Fillmore and 5th Ave? Maybe I missed the memo, but I never heard about this.

Quote: There are new residential towers going up on Roosevelt and 3rd St, one about to break ground a few blocks away from that project, residential under construction on Filmore and 5th Ave

From: http://jsethanderson.com/2012/07/10/...ss-in-phoenix/

Never heard of it, does anyone know who runs that site?

HX_Guy Aug 27, 2012 4:05 AM

I'm thinking he is talking about the Lofts at McKinley, the seniors residential project that has been going up for a while, should done any day now from the looks of it. That's at 5th Ave and McKinley but that's the only thing under construction in that area.

exit2lef Aug 27, 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5811560)
Never heard of it, does anyone know who runs that site?

The author of that blog is the co-author of a recently published book on Downtown Phoenix through the years. He was a champion for historic preservation and urban vitality. Unfortunately, he just moved to Salt Lake City to pursue an educational opportunity and to be with his significant other.

Vicelord John Aug 27, 2012 1:35 PM

[edited by moderation for homophobic comment] <----- actually the comment was not homophobic, it was quite the opposite, making a reference at the obnoxiously closed-minded redneck population of Arizona who thinks the gays are the devil.

And yeah that senior housing makes little sense. Not very urban, lots of stairs, etc.

HX_Guy Aug 27, 2012 5:23 PM

Scottsdale’s Bentley Gallery headed to downtown Phoenix
Phoenix Business Journal by Tim Gallen, Reporter
Date: Friday, August 24, 2012, 11:16am MST

After 22 years, the gallery will relocate from its present spot at 4161 N. Marshall Way in Scottsdale to its Bentley Projects warehouse space at 215 E. Grant St. in Phoenix. The space will accommodate current staff and allow for future expansion. It will relocate at the end of October.
The move was sparked by changes in the art market, said Bentley Calverley, owner and director of the gallery.
“Art gallery traffic across the country has decreased significantly and galleries can no longer rely on walk-in clients to drive sales,” Calverley said. “With the changing global art market and our clients’ rapid increase in technological sophistication, we needed to refocus our evolving business.”
Utilizing the existing Phoenix location made sense because of the enhancements in the downtown area.
“Phoenix has been conscious of the contribution art makes to the city and has been supportive of the local art scene,” Calverley said, “CityScape and ASU have greatly enhanced the downtown environment.”
Plus, artists are making larger scale work that requires bigger walls and higher ceilings, he added.
Bentley Gallery represents artists from the United States and Europe, whose work includes painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, video and site-specific installation. The gallery also deals in Asian and African antiquities and secondary market works from the late 19th century and the Modern era.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton praised the gallery’s decision.
“We are excited about Bentley Gallery’s decision to relocate to Phoenix,” the mayor said in a news release. “With this move, the gallery will be positioned to take advantage of the many opportunities available from doing business in Phoenix, while working alongside innovators in our city. Bentley Gallery will greatly enhance Phoenix’s cultural landscape.”
Bentley Gallery will launch the move to Phoenix with a November exhibition by Japanese-American sculptor, Jun Kaneko. His large-scale ceramic “dango” sculptures are permanently on display at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Terminal 3, and his ceramic tile wall in front of the Phoenix Art Museum.

nickw252 Aug 29, 2012 1:46 AM

PotBelly's at 7th and McDowell is coming along.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ettheo.jpg

HooverDam Aug 29, 2012 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5813673)
PotBelly's at 7th and McDowell is coming along.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ettheo.jpg

Have we heard any rumors about what's going ABOVE it? I really hope its something in the bar/nightlife vain, maybe a sports bar. I walked around behind the building the other day and its got a small, but nice patio facing North that would provide terrific views of Midtown and the mountains. It would be nice to have another evening spot besides SideBar on that corner.

nickw252 Aug 29, 2012 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5813696)
Have we heard any rumors about what's going ABOVE it? I really hope its something in the bar/nightlife vain, maybe a sports bar. I walked around behind the building the other day and its got a small, but nice patio facing North that would provide terrific views of Midtown and the mountains. It would be nice to have another evening spot besides SideBar on that corner.

I would love a sports bar. I like Side Bar but I'm more of a sports bar type. Right now my hangout is Hamburger Works.

HooverDam Aug 29, 2012 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5813705)
I would love a sports bar. I like Side Bar but I'm more of a sports bar type. Right now my hangout is Hamburger Works.

Agreed, me too. Though 90% of sports bars food is freaking awful. Its just microwaved mozzarella sticks and the like.

Who decided the idea of: "I enjoy athletics" pairs well with "unhealthy bad tasting food that gives you a stomach ache"? Seems weird.

Vicelord John Aug 29, 2012 3:04 AM

Don't athletes eat mozzarella sticks?

nickw252 Aug 29, 2012 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5813744)
Agreed, me too. Though 90% of sports bars food is freaking awful. Its just microwaved mozzarella sticks and the like.

Who decided the idea of: "I enjoy athletics" pairs well with "unhealthy bad tasting food that gives you a stomach ache"? Seems weird.

The biggest disappointment when it comes to sports bar food is HB Hanratty's. I love the cheap beer, pool tables and dart boards but they have no kitchen so their menu literally consists of microwaved junk like you mentioned. I do really like Hamburger Works' food though.

dtnphx Aug 29, 2012 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5813696)

Chances are slim on anything like that since the neighbors on the block behind have had periodic shit-fits with what was there already. People drinking on a patio overlooking NIMBY-types won't go over well. It's like the agreement on the SE corner center where there will be no alcohol served after 11 on the back patio and is even further from homes than My Florist. Suburban minds in an urban environment.

westbev93 Aug 29, 2012 5:15 PM

^ Exactly. The stipulations on the site plan include a lot of restrictions related to noise. I doubt they can get a bar/club in there under the stipulations. And even if they could legally put one in, the neighbors would throw a giant fit such that it may not practically work.

I think most of the shit-fits to date have been due to the developer and the tenants blatantly ignoring the stipulations. For instance, Habit Burger installed outdoor speakers even though the city expressly restricted the ability to install outdoor speakers. There is also a fight over the noise wall put in behind those houses as some residents claim the wall does not meet the standards that were stipulated to when the site plan was approved.

ASUSunDevil Aug 29, 2012 6:40 PM

I'd love to see a Four Peaks Downtown. Not completely a "sports bar" but great food, lots of tv's and delicious Arizona brewed beer!

Vicelord John Aug 29, 2012 10:57 PM

Too bad four peaks beer has gone downhill so quickly. There are a number of great breweries in this state, and Four Peaks used to be one of them.

I'd take a Barrio Brewing Co. or a San Tan.

ASUSunDevil Aug 30, 2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5814651)
Too bad four peaks beer has gone downhill so quickly. There are a number of great breweries in this state, and Four Peaks used to be one of them.

I'd take a Barrio Brewing Co. or a San Tan.

I still really enjoy Four Peaks. Realistically, the more breweries Downtown, the better.

Leo the Dog Aug 31, 2012 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 5814777)
I still really enjoy Four Peaks. Realistically, the more breweries Downtown, the better.

Me too. Whenever I'm back in Arizona I always make a trip to Four Peaks! It used to be a Friday afternoon tradition.

KevininPhx Aug 31, 2012 1:52 PM

Phoenix on TV this weekend, fyi.

Eden Eats on The Cooking Channel finds the best places to eat around Phoenix.

Nat Geo Channel investigates Arizona's tough DUI laws.

Details on (my site) www.TVFirstLook.com.

hrivas Aug 31, 2012 9:38 PM

well, this happened.

City of Phoenix approves permanent downtown dog park in Hance Park
By Aubree Abril, On Thursday, August 30th, 2012

The City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Board voted Thursday to approve a permanent downtown dog park on Culver Street between Third and Fifth avenues on the west side of Margaret T. Hance Park.

Tom Byrne, landscape architect for the Parks and Recreation Department, presented the recommendation to the board and suggested a permanent park rather than a temporary one based on cost.

article