SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

MartinTurnbull Nov 13, 2015 4:10 AM

405 @ 101, 1958
 
Are we sure about that date? I have a note here:

"Construction began on the 405 in August 1960."



Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 7231037)
Looking south on what is now the 405 at the 101, July 3, 1958. This would be Sherman Oaks, but it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere. I guess Sherman Oaks *was* in the middle of nowhere, back then.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...34286613_o.jpg
USC Archive


Those Who Squirm! Nov 13, 2015 7:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7229290)
This is the University Elementary School,

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

The 10636 address refers to its original location on Sunset Boulevard.

UCLA alumnus checking in...

To be clear, I believe the lab school's physical location has been the same ever since it moved to the Westwood campus in 1947. The mailing addresses have been changing over the years as required by changes to street names and mail distribution protocols.

Until sometime after 1984, when I finished my degree, Charles E. Young Drive used to be Circle Drive--then as now with the requisite directional prefix East, South, West, or North. IIRC when it was Circle Drive it wasn't used in addresses. The UES could be listed with a Sunset Boulevard address, as noted above, but there are documents relating to the school from at least as late as 1991, which used 405 Hilgard as the address. The Hilgard address was (is) basically a catch-all address that could be applied to any building or office on campus, with the specifics usually provided in the second line of the address. (Note also the 213 area code, as this was mere months before the change to 310.)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/566/2...c144ac_o_d.jpg

Another change with Circle/CEY Drive that directly affected UES, and that also happened around the same time as the renaming, was the street's realignment to run nearer along Sunset, in fact nearly abutting it. My memories of the details from nearly thirty years ago are sketchy, but I believe that the present-day alignment this section of Circle/CEY Drive was merely a drop-off/pick-up/carpool area for parents and UES students, with a few curbside parking areas for faculty and staff. Circle/CEY used to be aligned further to the south so that it ran behind the lab school, completely separating regular university traffic from that of the lab school. For that reason I think the realignment was a bad idea, because now the main flow of traffic around the campus now has to pass right alongside the elementary school, negotiating speed bumps and stop signs along the way.

ETA: Now looking at the current Google Earth aerial view, it comes back to me (north to the right).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5728/...b33455_o_d.png

In the above screengrab from Google, note Sycamore Court, a cul-de-sac near the center of the frame. I now remember that this used to be part of Circle Drive, and it went all the way through to Westwood Plaza. However, the construction of the new Anderson School Of Management facility in the early 1990s put a stop to that.

Meanwhile, what is now the current day alignment of CEY drive also used to run all the way to Westwood Plaza, but you hardly noticed it unless you were actually going that way. I'm not even sure we were allowed to drive through there at all.

[Aside]
Regarding Google Earth, has anyone else found a way to turn off those aggravating pop-ups that say "UNITED STATES - Fly me to this location"? It seems you can't even click on the map without having the program back you out to where you can see the entire county of L.A. I'm already LOOKING at a city in the United States, so why does it keep wanting to fly me there?

[/Aside]

gcube1942@yahoo.com Nov 13, 2015 9:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 6317341)
These other slides were including in the group.


-the Harbor Freeway
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/119/45l1.jpgebay



Does that say Grandburger? -if so, this is probably Grand Avenue/but what intersection?
http://imageshack.us/a/img844/7377/97v8.jpgebay




This one is easy. -looking east on Wilshire (Rex Arms left, Statler Hotel right)
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/2216/8nvs.jpgebay



These last two are pretty much a mystery to me.

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/9490/c16v.jpgebay


especially this one.
http://imageshack.us/a/img20/9479/csyc.jpgebay
__

Hi, I am new here, hope that this works and that someone did not already supply this info after Page 864. The first mystery image was shot from the front lawn of Glendale College. View is generally north, and maybe a little west of that. In the foreground is N. Verdugo Road. Road the truck is on is Canada (with a tilde) Blvd. Just over the truck is Verdugo Park with the Verdugo Mountains beyond it. In the center distance is La Crescenta with the Mt. Lukens massif above it. The autos lead me to think this is the early '60s. Second mystery image is from the same spot but panned to the left and showing the front steps of GC. Across the street is the Glendale Civic Auditorium. At last living in LC for over 70 years has paid off!

MichaelRyerson Nov 13, 2015 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7233211)
The 1876 Glover birdseye (looking SE) shows 3rd and 4th running down to Flower off Bunker Hill. Did this ever actually happen IRL?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0...5%252520PM.jpg
uscdl (detail)

I've certainly never seen any photographic evidence they did. The rights-of-way depict the streets were laid out to fully traverse Bunker Hill but as we've seen with Teed Street and, more prominently, with Broadway/Sunset, what the maps show isn't always what came to pass. You'll notice on the 1910 Baist that 4th Street appears to reach Flower but the center line of the roadway is abandoned for a short distance just about where the stub would be. I don't think either 3rd or 4th Street succeeded in establishing an actual hook-up with Flower.

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2015 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcube1942@yahoo.com (Post 7233810)
Hi, I am new here, hope that this works and that someone did not already supply this info after Page 864. The first mystery image was shot from the front lawn of Glendale College. View is generally north, and maybe a little west of that. In the foreground is N. Verdugo Road. Road the truck is on is Canada (with a tilde) Blvd. Just over the truck is Verdugo Park with the Verdugo Mountains beyond it. In the center distance is La Crescenta with the Mt. Lukens massif above it. The autos lead me to think this is the early '60s. Second mystery image is from the same spot but panned to the left and showing the front steps of GC. Across the street is the Glendale Civic Auditorium. At last living in LC for over 70 years has paid off!

:previous: Thanks for the information gcube1942!

Welcome to "noirish Los Angeles."

__

Earl Boebert Nov 13, 2015 4:00 PM

I just discovered that Steven Soderbergh's "The Limey" is available on DVD from Netflix. Terence Stamp vs. Peter Fonda in a true-to-noir-spirit gem, filmed entirely on location in 1998 Los Angeles.

Cheers,

Earl

sopas ej Nov 13, 2015 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull (Post 7233654)
Are we sure about that date? I have a note here:

"Construction began on the 405 in August 1960."

That may very well be; it's possible that the USC Archive put the wrong date.

But I also figure that the 405 Freeway was built and opened in sections.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia; according to that, construction started in 1957, mostly north of LAX, being completed in 1961 and signed as SR-7, with the route number being changed to I-405 during the 1964 renumbering. The whole 405 Freeway with the Orange County section wasn't completed and opened until 1969.

If you've ever seen that silly (but somehow fun) Tony Curtis/Natalie Wood 1964 sex comedy "Sex and the Single Girl," there's a big scene towards the end of the film where the cast of characters are chasing each other on the freeway on the way to LAX. I imagine that the freeway they're using is the 405, and there are sections that don't look completed.

tovangar2 Nov 13, 2015 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson (Post 7233902)
I've certainly never seen any photographic evidence they did. The rights-of-way depict the streets were laid out to fully traverse Bunker Hill but as we've seen with Teed Street and, more prominently, with Broadway/Sunset, what the maps show isn't always what came to pass. You'll notice on the 1910 Baist that 4th Street appears to reach Flower but the center line of the roadway is abandoned for a short distance just about where the stub would be. I don't think either 3rd or 4th Street succeeded in establishing an actual hook-up with Flower.

Thx. Sometimes Baist is too subtle for me, but I knew 4th didn't go through in 1910:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...6%252520AM.jpg
baist 1910, plate 7, historic mapworks

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2015 5:08 PM

Here's another Rood snapshot of the 1928 City Hall dedication parade.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...910/zZhy9A.jpg
eBay

This float isn't as impressive at the float with the City Hall model we saw a few days ago.
-since it's a boat, I'm guessing it is representing San Pedro.

At first glance I thought it had a Menorah on the bow.
__

CityBoyDoug Nov 13, 2015 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7234163)
Here's another Rood snapshot of the 1928 City Hall dedication parade.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...910/zZhy9A.jpg
eBay

This float isn't as impressive at the float with the City Hall model we saw a few days ago.
-since it's a boat, I'm guessing it is representing San Pedro.

At first glance I thought it had a Menorah on the bow.
__

In the background is the old Los Angeles Times building before it was bombed out of existence by terrorists who didn't like what they wrote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times_bombing

MichaelRyerson Nov 13, 2015 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 7234245)
In the background is the old Los Angeles Times building before it was bombed out of existence by terrorists who didn't like what they wrote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times_bombing

I believe the crenellated tower on the Times building was added after the 1910 bombing. In any event, the 1928 parade was after the 1910 bombing (hence the bigger number). The working men and women killed or wounded in the blast certainly didn't deserve such a fate but the Times was (up to that point and perhaps well into the '50s) little more than a reactionary rag.

tovangar2 Nov 13, 2015 6:38 PM

:previous:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 7234245)
In the background is the old Los Angeles Times building before it was bombed out of existence by terrorists who didn't like what they wrote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Times_bombing


Whoa, I think there was more to it than that,

"Employers used labor spies, agents provocateurs, private detective agencies, and strike breakers to engaged in a campaign of union busting. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies generally cooperated in this campaign, which often used violence against union members...

Desperate union officials turned to violence to counter the setbacks they had suffered. Beginning in late 1906, national and local officials of the Iron Workers launched a dynamiting campaign. The goal of the campaign was to bring the companies to the bargaining table, and not to destroy plants or kill people. Between 1906 and 1911, the Iron Workers blew up 110 iron works...The National Erectors' Association was well aware who was responsible for the bombings, since Herbert S. Hockin, a member of the Iron Workers' executive board, was their paid spy."


-from your link

But, if you're gonna blow things up, sometimes it can go horribly wrong. The bombers didn't take the gas pipes into account, which greatly added to the damage, causing a ferocious fire, plus the fact that some LAT staff were working overnight.

More union organizers had been killed by the union-buster terrorists, during the previous 25 years, than died in the Times bombing, not that that justifies anything.

BTW, a bomb was set in the non-union, under-construction Hall of Records that same night. It didn't go off.




...and as MR said, the image shows the LAT building built after the bombing.

HossC Nov 13, 2015 7:09 PM

We've seen the first of these Julius Shulman images before. In MichaelRyerson's post #8858, it's dated at 1948, whereas the description here says 1950. Reading back through NLA, it looks like this discrepancy in the recorded dates has been noted before. This is "Job 786: Douglas Honnold and John Lautner, Coffee Dan's (Los Angeles, Calif.),1950". It shows the Coffee Dan's at 9561 Wilshire Boulevard. In the left window you can see the reflection of a sign which says "SLOANE". This must belong to the W & J Sloane furniture store at 9560 Wilshire Boulevard (according to the 1956 CD).

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

Here's a look through that left window.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg~original

And finally, Mr Shulman took this shot inside. I love all those circles on the ceiling. Does anyone know what color the interior was?

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...3.jpg~original

All from Getty Research Institute

This is what 9561 Wilshire looks like today. The property websites give a build date of 1934.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...4.jpg~original
GSV

There'll be more Coffee Dan's in my next Shulman post!

sopas ej Nov 13, 2015 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7234348)
:previous:




Whoa, I think there was more to it than that,

"Employers used labor spies, agents provocateurs, private detective agencies, and strike breakers to engaged in a campaign of union busting. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies generally cooperated in this campaign, which often used violence against union members...

Desperate union officials turned to violence to counter the setbacks they had suffered. Beginning in late 1906, national and local officials of the Iron Workers launched a dynamiting campaign. The goal of the campaign was to bring the companies to the bargaining table, and not to destroy plants or kill people. Between 1906 and 1911, the Iron Workers blew up 110 iron works...The National Erectors' Association was well aware who was responsible for the bombings, since Herbert S. Hockin, a member of the Iron Workers' executive board, was their paid spy."


-from your link

But, if you're gonna blow things up, sometimes it can go horribly wrong. The bombers didn't take the gas pipes into account, which greatly added to the damage, causing a ferocious fire, plus the fact that some LAT staff were working overnight.

More union organizers had been killed by the union-buster terrorists, during the previous 25 years, than died in the Times bombing, not that that justifies anything.

BTW, a bomb was set in the non-union, under-construction Hall of Records that same night. It didn't go off.




...and as MR said, the image shows the LAT building built after the bombing.

Thanks for the response, you beat me to it.

Myself being an advocate for workers' rights and a leftist, I also wanted to respond to that comment.

Historically, Los Angeles wasn't very friendly to unions.

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2015 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7234348)

BTW, a bomb was set in the non-union, under-construction Hall of Records that same night. It didn't go off.

I've never heard that before. -very interesting t2.
_

tovangar2 Nov 13, 2015 9:04 PM

LOL, Ten Million Views and apparently Lindsay Blake/IAMNOTASTALKER.COM is one of them:

The Pasadena Main Branch of Bank of the West from “Falcon Crest”

(HossC got a double mention)

Is this our first time on that site?

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2015 9:10 PM

'mystery' photo, 1928.

I just happened across this intriguing photograph this afternoon on eBay.

I thought perhaps someone here on NLA could help figure out the location.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...911/WSPbNn.jpg
eBay

Here's what the seller had to say:

" From a group of images from Los Angeles, CA students who went to Glendale High School there.
Here they are in some outdoor venue where they are doing a skit. Name on back is Dot Wachs. "




below: Here's a close-up of the large apartment building under construction in the distance.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...911/IudNi0.jpg
detail
__


& here's the photo extra-large to see all the details: Be sure to pan right------>

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/911/WSPbNn.jpg

I thought the date of 1928 was too early until I noticed the parked cars.

_

CityBoyDoug Nov 13, 2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7234348)
:previous:




Whoa, I think there was more to it than that,

"Employers used labor spies, agents provocateurs, private detective agencies, and strike breakers to engaged in a campaign of union busting. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies generally cooperated in this campaign, which often used violence against union members...

Desperate union officials turned to violence to counter the setbacks they had suffered. Beginning in late 1906, national and local officials of the Iron Workers launched a dynamiting campaign. The goal of the campaign was to bring the companies to the bargaining table, and not to destroy plants or kill people. Between 1906 and 1911, the Iron Workers blew up 110 iron works...The National Erectors' Association was well aware who was responsible for the bombings, since Herbert S. Hockin, a member of the Iron Workers' executive board, was their paid spy."


-from your link

But, if you're gonna blow things up, sometimes it can go horribly wrong. The bombers didn't take the gas pipes into account, which greatly added to the damage, causing a ferocious fire, plus the fact that some LAT staff were working overnight.

More union organizers had been killed by the union-buster terrorists, during the previous 25 years, than died in the Times bombing, not that that justifies anything.

BTW, a bomb was set in the non-union, under-construction Hall of Records that same night. It didn't go off.




...and as MR said, the image shows the LAT building built after the bombing.

Thanks everyone for correcting my post. I thought about the post afterwards and was going to change it. I realized that the year was off but I was too late. You guys are so fast! Interesting discussion was the result.

ethereal_reality Nov 13, 2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 7234684)
Interesting discussion was the result.

:previous: You're absolutely correct CBD.
__




vintage 'girlie' ashtray.

Ace Saw Works, 9220 South Broadway, Los Angeles 3, Calif. phone: PLymouth 6-3748.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...911/nvCCyN.jpg
eBay

from the days when everyone seemed to smoke.

Q: Why the 3 behind Los Angeles?
__

CityBoyDoug Nov 14, 2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7234802)
:previous: You're absolutely correct CBD.
__




vintage 'girlie' ashtray.

Ace Saw Works, 9220 South Broadway, Los Angeles 3, Calif. phone: PLymouth 6-3748.



from the days when everyone seemed to smoke.

Q: Why the 3 behind Los Angeles?
__

ER....good question. Before ZIP codes, LA was divided into Zones. Each Zone had a number. Of course the Zones are now gone and have been replaced with ZIP codes.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.