SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

F1 Tommy Jan 28, 2018 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree (Post 8063862)
No offense, but I wouldn't exactly call Adrian Smith "humble". I will say he may be humble in the architect world, but when it comes to wealth that man is anything but. Next time you see someone pull up in a Ferrari every morning to McDonalds for breakfast come back to me. :haha:

Why does owning a Ferrari make you less humble a person? That brings up an interesting point about money and Chicago. Those who live here don't like to flaunt it as much as in LA and NYC. Why do you think that is??

That above rendering does look interesting, almost Spire like in shape.

The North One Jan 28, 2018 4:23 PM

Not sure how I feel about a new tower overpowering tribune.

The Lurker Jan 28, 2018 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8064085)

I'm not too worried about that. Trump towers over the Wrigley building but I personally don't think that takes anything away from Wrigley. I think it would add a cool dynamic to have a supertall set back behind Tribune as well

Kngkyle Jan 28, 2018 5:57 PM

Quote:

Overpowering it or complimenting it with a contrasting style? As The Lurker implies, Trump Tower compliments Wrigley, not overpowers.

KWillChicago Jan 28, 2018 6:18 PM

A thinner Jin Mao would complement the Trib nicely I think.

BVictor1 Jan 28, 2018 7:26 PM

Quote:

Does The Palmolive Building overpower or enhance The Drake? Does John Hancock overpower or compliment Palmolive and Drake?

Does Trump Tower overpower The Wrigley?

Steely Dan Jan 29, 2018 2:20 AM

Once again, do not feed the troll.

HomrQT Jan 29, 2018 2:21 AM

I posted this on curbed already, but I think it would be interesting to see the new building potentially reflect an older style to compliment the Tribune Tower. The Tribune Tower’s design is the result of a competition they had back in the day. Perhaps they can draw inspiration from some of the other design submissions which several were similar in nature to the current design, with art deco and gothic influences.

http://skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/PA.../chitrib01.php

BraveNewWorld Jan 29, 2018 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8063639)
I could build a very rough 3d massing based off of the renderings I saw.

“Currently waiting on the edge of my seat” 😂

Steely Dan Jan 29, 2018 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld (Post 8064639)
“Currently waiting on the edge of my seat”

I think that makes all of us.

Please don't let us down, rgarri4

donnie Jan 29, 2018 4:07 AM

Two things that would compliment the Tribune tower imo but probably won't happen! An all black tower like the rendering of Hadid, or a limestone tower made of actual limestone!

Hudson11 Jan 29, 2018 4:22 AM

People will lose their minds if it's the latter, and it's something Chicago deserves.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 29, 2018 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8064059)
Why does owning a Ferrari make you less humble a person? That brings up an interesting point about money and Chicago. Those who live here don't like to flaunt it as much as in LA and NYC. Why do you think that is??

Yeah, owning nice things does not mean you have a huge ego. Also, you think Smith would be getting these commissions if he rolled up to pick up the Sheikh from the airport in a 2006 Camry? At the level he is functioning at you have to have nice things almost as a business expense because people won't take you seriously unless you have clear visual signs of success. It's shallow, but it's how the world works.

HomrQT Jan 29, 2018 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8065001)
if he rolled up to pick up the Sheikh from the airport in a 2006 Camry

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

rlw777 Jan 29, 2018 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8064059)

Chicago is the economic hub of the midwest and midwesterners in my experience tend to put a high value on modesty and are unimpressed with and perhaps a little suspicious of anything flashy that can't be built with a few sets of hands like social status. I would guess that has to do with the prominence of factories, farming and Christianity in the region.

photoLith Jan 29, 2018 5:34 PM

Wow, this came out of nowhere, hope its not another Chicago Spire situation in the future.

Steely Dan Jan 29, 2018 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8065146)
hope its not another Chicago Spire situation in the future.

interesting take.

everyone else here is hoping that it's gonna be exactly that.

photoLith Jan 29, 2018 5:41 PM

^
You know what I mean, losing funding and then becoming just a hole in the ground.

munchymunch Jan 29, 2018 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8064179)
A thinner Jin Mao would complement the Trib nicely I think.

Or something like 9 dekalb in New York would compliment it nicely as well.

HomrQT Jan 29, 2018 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 8065184)
Or something like 9 dekalb in New York would compliment it nicely as well.

I didn't know about that building but I am in LOVE. What style would that be considered? Modern gothic? Seems like it would partner the Tribune very well.