SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

stanklem May 9, 2015 1:45 AM

Vermont Avenue Pictures - Help Appreciated.

Seeking photos of Vermont Avenue between 4th and 6th Streets from 1960 and earlier. Specifically east side of street. Need to know what types of occupancies were located here. Photos are for report I am preparing for work.

Thank you in advance.

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 2:16 AM

We've seen countless photographs looking north on Vine from Sunset (you know, the iconic NBC Radio corner).

But this 1957 photo was taken a bit south of Sunset. It shows a bar on the right named 'The Hangover' with a darkened 'cocktails' sign to it's right,
and there's another sign that says 'Johnny White', (was he a headliner at 'The Hangover' cocktail lounge?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/qlqv71.jpg
old file


sopas_ej posted this back in 2011, but there were no follow-ups or questions.

Now days on NLA, we have a tendency to explore minutiae of this sort.... like, who the heck is 'Johnny White'? and who owned 'The Hangover'?

:previous: Good stuff like that. ;)
__

Wig-Wag May 9, 2015 3:23 AM

Gen Sets and Wig-Wags
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7020753)
negative, dated April 1963.

I'm not sure what's going on here. -are they greasing up the wheels?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/IHkojf.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/y8YWwH.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Neg...item51cfe74e85

be sure to scroll right--> to see the young lad with glasses. (that isn't you, is it Wig-Wag?) If I remember correctly you've turned up in some of these shots.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...537/QB9saZ.jpg
eBay (this negative might have sold. I can't locate it again on eBay)

ER, as Ed Workman noted above, they are moving the car after the power was shut off and the trolley wire removed. They are using a generator set (off camera to the left) to produce the power and have connected one lead to the rail and the other to the end of the trolley pole at the "shoe".

The fellow at the right of the frame in the second picture is not me. I was able
to avoid the need for glasses for another 20 years!

Cheers,
Jack

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 3:48 AM

I just found this in an old file of mine.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...537/toR9Af.jpg


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/4z46hp.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/VHymZN.jpg


...and today.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...901/hV4TcX.jpg
GSV

As far as I can tell, not too many years separate the two photographs, but a short palm tree has appeared next to the brick building on the left.
(was it transplanted?....or was there a huge growth spurt? ;))





here's an aerial to get your bearings.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/909/iywWhL.jpg
google_earth

__

Greg H May 9, 2015 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7018888)
:previous: The scallop-shell moulding over the doorway is a nice touch. I've never noticed it before.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...538/AVIT3z.jpg
detail / Matt_Maxwell

That is actually the one feature I was familiar with before I ever had the chance to visit Union Station.

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...ail%20view.jpg
Wikipedia

tovangar2 May 9, 2015 6:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7021386)
We've seen countless photographs looking north on Vine from Sunset (you know, the iconic NBC Radio corner).

But this 1957 photo was taken a bit south of Sunset. It shows a bar on the right named 'The Hangover' with a darkened 'cocktails' sign to it's right,
and there's another sign that says 'Johnny White', (was he a headliner at 'The Hangover' cocktail lounge?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/qlqv71.jpg
old file


sopas_ej posted this back in 2011, but there were no follow-ups or questions.

Now days on NLA, we have a tendency to explore minutiae of this sort.... like, who the heck is 'Johnny White'? and who owned 'The Hangover'?

:previous: Good stuff like that. ;)
__

Martin Pal posted a good daytime shot (below). The Hangover was actually on the NE corner of Vine and Leland Way at No. 1456:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 6564502)
This is a 1961 photo of the Hangover Restaurant on Vine Street, probably at Selma Ave.
I noticed the photo because of the Seaboard Loans sign which is visible on the outdoor
scenic backdrop of the hotel room when I Love Lucy travelled to Hollywood.

http://hollywoodphotographs.com/photos/lrg/RN-065-1.jpg
H.P./Torrence

BDiH says the Hangover was one of "Billy" Berg's clubs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 6867204)
William "Billy" Berg also operated the Bandbox and the Hangover on Vine Street, south of Sunset Boulevard.

(This was in response to a post of Lorendoc's on Berg):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 6866003)
The Swing Club (1710 N Las Palmas/6687 Hollywood Blvd) was operated by different mobsters at different times.

In 1945, the FBI was told by an informant that "this establishment is owned by LOUIS MANDRELL and BENNIE MOSS [caps in original], alias MUSCOVITZ. MANDRELL formerly operated an establishment at 634 South Main Street and MOSS still operates the Saratoga Bar, 643 South Main, which appears on the out of bounds list set forth above. JOHN B. KINGSLEY, President of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, has advised that one of the most notorious "clip joints" in Hollywood is the Swing Club. KINGSLEY states that WILLIAM BERG is connected with this club and that private investigators have ascertained that BERG was arrested several times and served two years at McNeil Island [Washington state federal penitentiary] for bootlegging. KINGSLEY stated that in spite of this record BERG had been granted a permit to operate the club and that since he has been managing it there have been numerous arrests for burglary, carrying concealed weapons, and use of narcotics."

The permit likely came from the Southland's representative on the Board of Equalization, William C. Bonelli, at a price.

Lorendoc also quoted your post on the fire at the "ultra-ultra" Swing Club

Check the Billy Berg's wiki page for other clubs he was involved with. Wiki discusses Billy Berg's club at No. 1356 Vine (that would be at the SE corner of DeLongpre and Vine), not 1456, as does the KCET post here, so I'm getting more than a little confused. I don't know if Berg ran both clubs or just the one. Maybe BDiH can explain more. 1456 was demolished. 1356 is still there, the buillding now divided into two (maybe 3?) businesses, a restaurant and a liquor store, addressed 1360 and 1356:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t...24356%2BAM.jpg
gsv

More on 1356 here with all kinds of excellent info

You've been here before e_r.

There's a Hangover matchbook cover here, but my computer's being cranky and won't let me post the photo.

There was/is more on Vine south of Sunset. The Mandarin Market/Hollywood Ranch Market (demolished), much covered here, Villa Elaine at No. 1245, also discussed, Claud Beelman's 1948 Don Lee Mutual Broadcast Building at No. 1313, now the AMPAS Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study (also mentioned). Last, but not least, is Competition Motors at 1219 Vine (demolished) where James Dean's Spyder was getting a last tune-up before Dean drove it away on his last day. While waiting for the car he, his dad, his uncle, his friend, Bill Hickman and photographer Sanford Roth crossed Vine to the Hollywood Ranch Market for coffee and doughnuts. A short telling of the tale is here. Another is here. A long version covering Dean's whole last day is here complete with a sort of annoying video. The wiki page for the events of September 30, 1955 is here.

James Dean in the forecourt of Competition Motors, 1219 Vine St, 30 September 1955. His passenger is Competition Motors mechanic Rolf W├╝therich (W├╝therich survived the crash later that day, but died in another wreck in 1981). Behind them Bill Hickman is at the wheel of Dean's 1955 Ford Country Squire station wagon towing an empty trailer. Photographer Sanford Roth is Hickman's passenger. The Hollywood Ranch Market is at right and the Taft Building is in the distance at Hollywood and Vine:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o...25638%2BPM.jpg
lacurbed

I found nothing on Johnny White.

BDiH May 9, 2015 7:53 AM

Lorendoc also quoted your post on the fire at the "ultra-ultra" Swing Club



Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorendoc (Post 6866003)
The Swing Club (1710 N Las Palmas/6687 Hollywood Blvd) was operated by different mobsters at different times.

In 1945, the FBI was told by an informant that "this establishment is owned by LOUIS MANDRELL and BENNIE MOSS [caps in original], alias MUSCOVITZ. MANDRELL formerly operated an establishment at 634 South Main Street and MOSS still operates the Saratoga Bar, 643 South Main, which appears on the out of bounds list set forth above.

In 1947, bartender C.G. Williams claimed that he saw Elizabeth Short (the Black Dahlia) in the Dugout Cafe at 634 So. Main Street on the afternoon of January 11.

3940dxer May 9, 2015 9:47 AM

Never Give A Sucker An Even Break...Locations?
 
I was re-watching Never Give A Sucker An Even Break, which is my favorite W.C. Fields film and I believe his last. The ending features a fast paced, rambunctious scene in which W.C. races through the streets of L.A. to rush a woman to a hospital. There are a lot of outdoor shots and intriguing glimpses of the city, but the scenes move so quickly that it's hard to identify anything.

Does anyone know the locations of any of those shots? One section looks like the Cahuenga Pass, and others look like the Hyperion and/or Glendale Ave. viaducts near the L.A. River.

This Youtube link has the complete film, in excellent quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcomeIxQddI. The car scene starts at about 1:05:00.



http://www.daneena.com/viaduct.jpg

Hyperion viaduct?



http://www.daneena.com/Lakeside.a.jpg

Toluca Lake area, maybe Riverside Drive?

GaylordWilshire May 9, 2015 1:26 PM

:previous:


Hyperion Viaduct from Waverly Drive overpass:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0...2520AM.bmp.jpgGSV July 2014


From the HV roadway under the overpass:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...2520AM.bmp.jpgGSV July 2014



10106 Riverside Drive:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i...2520AM.bmp.jpgGSV Oct 2011


http://jpg1.lapl.org/00101/00101628.jpgLAPL

GaylordWilshire May 9, 2015 1:58 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...2520AM.bmp.jpgShorpy

A detail from a huge Shorpy image we may have seen before (http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a25789a.jpg)--the man in the
Wm May Garland office window and the steam in the reflection on the window around the corner....

MichaelRyerson May 9, 2015 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 7021625)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L...2520AM.bmp.jpgShorpy

A detail from a huge Shorpy image we may have seen before (http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a25789a.jpg)--the man in the
Wm May Garland office window and the steam in the reflection on the window around the corner....


http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ng#post5813944

Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:24 AM #9027


http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ng#post5811856

Posted Aug 27, 2012, 9:37 AM #9008

GaylordWilshire May 9, 2015 4:23 PM

:previous:

Thanks for pointing that out. Your links lead to your own pages rather than NLA, so here's full-size copy of the Shorpy image to explore directly here, an image worth repeating after three years:


http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7...9d842815_o.jpgShorpy



I hadn't noticed the reflection of steam coming from the top of a distant building in one of the window before--can anyone identify the building? (Have we done this before...?)


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...2520PM.bmp.jpg

tovangar2 May 9, 2015 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDiH (Post 7021531)
In 1947, bartender C.G. Williams claimed that he saw Elizabeth Short (the Black Dahlia) in the Dugout Cafe at 634 So. Main Street on the afternoon of January 11.

Thx BDiH. Do you know anymore about the Hangout at 1456 Vine or who actually ran it? Everything I read about Berg led back to 1356 Vine.

MichaelRyerson May 9, 2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 7021717)
:previous:

Thanks for pointing that out. Your links lead to your own pages rather than NLA,...

Yeah, just trying to drum up some traffic for my Flickr stream. I fixed them.

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 7:16 PM

I vaguely remember seeing a smaller version of this photograph years ago on NLA.
I wanted to do a before & after of this intersection, but I can't figure out where it is.
(is that part of the raised Union Station tracks on the right?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/uoxD1f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/Nj4I2I.jpg
old file of mine

:previous: What a menagerie of posters on that building!
-everything from the Mayan Theater (I can't quite make out what's playing) to Barnes Sells-Floto Circus to Motor Boats to 'Love Nest',
and something big happening on April 4 (lower right hand side of the building, partially covered)

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 7:26 PM

Here is a one-of-kind snapshot that is rather dreamily noirish.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...905/tFjAE6.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...537/pyGNTS.jpg
eBay

It looks like 'The Thin Man' might be premiering at Graumans. (I only say this because of the William Powell-Myrna Loy banner over Hollywood Boulevard)
__

ethereal_reality May 9, 2015 7:45 PM

just for fun.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...673/JoRRyF.jpg
matchbook/eBay

MichaelRyerson May 9, 2015 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7021844)
I vaguely remember seeing a smaller version of this photograph years ago on NLA.
I wanted to do a before & after of this intersection, but I can't figure out where it is.
(is that part of the raised Union Station tracks on the right?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/uoxD1f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/Nj4I2I.jpg
old file of mine

:previous: What a menagerie of posters on that building!
-everything from the Mayan Theater (I can't quite make out what's playing) to Barnes Sells-Floto Circus to Motor Boats to 'Love Nest',
and something big happening on April 4 (lower right hand side of the building, partially covered)


I feel as though we're looking south across Aliso just east of San Pedro (seen at the right).

AlvaroLegido May 9, 2015 7:54 PM

My post p. 634 #12 663 No wonder you can't do a Before & After
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7021844)
I vaguely remember seeing a smaller version of this photograph years ago on NLA.
I wanted to do a before & after of this intersection, but I can't figure out where it is.
(is that part of the raised Union Station tracks on the right?)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...661/uoxD1f.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...540/Nj4I2I.jpg
old file of mine

:previous: What a menagerie of posters on that building!
-everything from the Mayan Theater (I can't quite make out what's playing) to Barnes Sells-Floto Circus to Motor Boats to 'Love Nest',
and something big happening on April 4 (lower right hand side of the building, partially covered)


On the next photo, we see the railroad cutting the block between Los Angeles and Alameda starting north from the block on the previous photo (between San Pedro and Alameda).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5297/...11bcb665_b.jpg
Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...NG-4129-T?v=hr

Martin Pal May 9, 2015 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 7021517)
Martin Pal posted a good daytime shot (below). The Hangover was actually on the NE corner of Vine and Leland Way at No. 1456.

Thanks, tovangar2, I went back and corrected the address on my original post, and linked yours to it. I hadn't noticed the "NBC Building" in that shot!


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.