SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

ASUSunDevil Aug 16, 2013 3:44 PM

Moved

KEVINphx Aug 16, 2013 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 6232680)
Great, a government-planned poverty corridor. The scariest part of Obama's visit here was his declaration that Phoenix will be a mecca for the country's most impoverished people. Frightening.

wtf - sucks that someone like this has chosen a moniker so similar to my own!

gymratmanaz Aug 16, 2013 6:17 PM

KEVINphx.....and the two of you have such similar opinions. LOL

HooverDam Aug 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 6234959)

hahah I actually thought it was you! Wasn't paying close attention. I thought "huh, he took a sudden turn".

Time to re-brand yourself I guess :P

phxSUNSfan Aug 16, 2013 10:06 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned a while ago, but mentioning One Lexington in the Tempe thread piqued my interest so I went to One Lexington's site. It turns out One Lexington completely sold out: "All 146 Midtown Condos are gone!" This probably occurred long ago but I haven't been paying attention.

http://www.onelexington.com/

I wonder how the Lofts on Thomas are doing? I went there with a friend who was looking for an apartment about 6 weeks ago and was told that leases aren't being signed as fast as downtown properties but they are doing "steady business." The reserved parking spaces in the back did have cars in the resident lots.

PHXFlyer11 Aug 16, 2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6235340)
Not sure if this was mentioned a while ago, but mentioning One Lexington in the Tempe thread piqued my interest so I went to One Lexington's site. It turns out One Lexington completely sold out: "All 146 Midtown Condos are gone!" This probably occurred long ago but I haven't been paying attention.

http://www.onelexington.com/

Yes, these were all sold long ago. I've been looking at condos in that building for a year, all on the re-sale market.

KevininPhx Aug 17, 2013 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 6234959)

I'm not "someone like this." I'm a pretty liberal guy.

But I see this as the government trying to force low-income people into certain neighborhoods. That's not radical opinion. It's just something I think we should be paying attention to, especially since Obama came to Phoenix to tout that very type of government-designed neighborhood. I'm not reading a conspiracy theory into what he said. He was very straightforward about it.

Arquitect Aug 17, 2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 6235940)

But I see this as the government trying to force low-income people into certain neighborhoods. That's not radical opinion. It's just something I think we should be paying attention to, especially since Obama came to Phoenix to tout that very type of government-designed neighborhood. I'm not reading a conspiracy theory into what he said. He was very straightforward about it.

And that is why he made a speech at a high school with one of the highest incomes in the city? You are reading a little too much into stuff. Providing low income housing is not "making Phoenix the mecca of poverty".

Even in the areas north of downtown, which have been building a few low-income housing projects, there is still a good mix of medium, high and low income families. Many studies have been done about mixed income neighborhoods, and overwhelmingly they points towards cities greatly benefiting from this mix.

Jjs5056 Aug 17, 2013 11:24 PM

A lot of buzz downtown today for a Saturday as ASU students moved in. Watching them walking around in such a defined, small portion of downtown made me even more disappointed in the campus-style trend of development that ASU has taken. ASU-only lowrise buildings all clustered together hasn't made as much of an impact on the city as it could have if those buildings were spread out, put into rehabbed historic structures, or put into portions of larger, mixed-use highrises. Le sigh.

In the meantime, The Lofts at McKinley is hardly new, and there have been photos on here before, but as I passed, I was impressed again by its design. As you'll see in my next post in the Roosevelt Point thread, not many developers are getting urban residential right. The fact that these have walk-ups that allow residents to interact with the neighborhood via sidewalk and not have to go through their garage is such a small, but important feature that should be standard for any city residential project.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/9...9caa77673c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/9...87abb9c979.jpg

The Native American project on 2nd is moving along. From Fillmore, you can see that it makes quite an impact vertically, even though it is no more than 6 stories. Unfortunately, if their other project north on Central is any indication, this won't be done as well as the Lofts on McKinley, as there will likely be little interaction with 2nd aside from a lobby entrance - no retail, no walkups, etc. But, it is a decent height for the neighborhood, built up to the street, fairly dense, and brings in some nice diversity. Though, at this point, I would assume it's probably time to bring in some projects that cater toward a bit more of a higher-income demo, especially if we want retail to be viable.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7294/9...2ae37ea2c2.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/9...1396e456b4.jpg

Finally, passed by the new Vig's location. I wasn't sure if it was, so I asked the workers who confirmed. Not sure if they've done much work as I had never been to Palette or the other past incarnations, but the house and patio look great regardless, so I figured I would post in case there are new features.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/9...e227317d9f.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/9...f5e1cf4b35.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/9...bde7040693.jpg

KevininPhx Aug 18, 2013 1:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arquitect (Post 6236048)
And that is why he made a speech at a high school with one of the highest incomes in the city? You are reading a little too much into stuff. Providing low income housing is not "making Phoenix the mecca of poverty".

Even in the areas north of downtown, which have been building a few low-income housing projects, there is still a good mix of medium, high and low income families. Many studies have been done about mixed income neighborhoods, and overwhelmingly they points towards cities greatly benefiting from this mix.

I won't belabor the point. I just don't think Obama should design the demographic makeup of our neighborhoods. We can handle that ourselves.

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2013 1:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 6236148)
I won't belabor the point. I just don't think Obama should design the demographic makeup of our neighborhoods. We can handle that ourselves.

What are you talking about? You should just stop while you are behind. The only thing from Obama's speech that I got was that he would consider legislation to aid middle income folk. This would entail helping homeowners "remain in their homes" and to hold banks "accountable" for not helping folks work out solutions to repay loans (modified loans). If he mentioned TOD I completely missed it. To me Obama was touting programs that would help low to moderate income suburban and exurban neighborhoods that were hit hardest.

The Vig Downtown: Jjs, the fence is definitely different. From the front, the exterior doesn't look much different EXCEPT the wood lattice that covered the patio area is gone. The house was expanded and now that exterior patio is more indoor space. That entire south extension is new which is significant. It also looks like they built another covered outdoor dining/patio area detached from the structure: it is barely visible over the fence.

dtnphx Aug 18, 2013 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 6235940)

You're still belaboring this point and you say you're a liberal guy, really? Not so much. You sound libertarian with your government-designed neighborhood bullshit. You confuse Transportation-Oriented Development (TOD) and the mix of incomes that come with nearby transist as a government conspiracy of some sort. You seem sour on Obama, mister liberal guy. Must be something about him you just don't like...mmm.

Spitfiredude Aug 18, 2013 4:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevininPhx (Post 6236148)

Although I do agree with you on this statement, it was probably not such a good idea to bring Obama into this. I just had a similar argument with many on a Scottsdale light rail line. I definitely feel a lot of people on here are liberal mind set...

(& to those: I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, so don't bash me.)

I think maybe Obama's statements was just to pose suggestions for the MSA that he was visiting (as any President would do).

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2013 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6236281)
I think maybe Obama's statements was just to pose suggestions for the MSA that he was visiting (as any President would do).

What exactly was he "suggesting" for Phoenix? I don't understand where you are coming up with this. I read the transcript of the President's address and I'm not seeing it. This was President Obama's "thesis statement" and it wasn't Phoenix-specific: "And today, I’ve come to Phoenix to talk about that second, most tangible cornerstone at the heart of middle-class life: the chance to own your own home."

This is the full transcript of his speech:
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...#ixzz2cIVS5mZS

More points he made:
Quote:

We give to more hard-working Americans the chance to buy their first home. We have to help more responsible homeowners refinance their mortgage. And above all, we have to turn the page on the bubble-and-bust mentality that created this mess, and build a housing system that’s durable and fair and rewards responsibility for generations to come.
Quote:

Step one is for Congress to pass a good, bipartisan idea, and allow every homeowner to save thousands of dollars a year by refinancing their mortgage at today’s rates. Let’s get that done.

Step two: now that we’ve made it harder for reckless buyers to buy homes they can’t afford, let’s make it easier for qualified buyers to buy homes they can. We should simplify overlapping regulations and cut red tape for responsible families who want to get a mortgage, but who keep getting rejected by banks. And we should give well-qualified Americans who lost their jobs during the crisis a fair chance to get a loan if they’ve worked hard to repair their credit.

Step three is something you don’t always hear about when it comes to the housing market – and that’s fixing a broken immigration system. It’s pretty simple: when more people buy homes, and play by the rules, home values go up for everybody. According to one recent study, the average homeowner has already seen the value of their home boosted by thousands of dollars, just because of immigration. Now, with the help of your Senators, John McCain and Jeff Flake, the Senate has already passed a bipartisan immigration bill that’s got the support of CEOs, labor, and law enforcement. And considering what this bill can do for homeowners, that’s just one more reason Republicans in the House should stop dragging their feet and get this done.

Step four: we should address the uneven recovery by rebuilding the communities hit hardest by the housing crisis, including many right here in Arizona. Let’s put construction workers back to work repairing rundown homes and tearing down vacant properties. Places facing a longer road back from the crisis should have their country’s help to get there.

Step five: we should make sure families that don’t want to buy a home, or can’t yet afford to buy one, have a decent place to rent. In the run-up to the crisis, banks and the government too often made everyone feel like they had to own a home, even if they weren’t ready. That’s a mistake we shouldn’t repeat. Instead, let’s invest in affordable rental housing. And let’s bring together cities and states to address local barriers that drive up rent for working families.
Then he goes on to address the issue of Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac and how "private capital should take a bigger role in the mortgage market ... I believe that while our housing system must have a limited government role, private lending should be the backbone of the housing market, including community-based lenders who view their borrowers not as a number, but as a neighbor."

There is not one word in his address about transit, TOD, mixed-income neighborhoods, or poor people. His speech was tailor-made for the middle class.

nickw252 Aug 18, 2013 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6235340)
I wonder how the Lofts on Thomas are doing? I went there with a friend who was looking for an apartment about 6 weeks ago and was told that leases aren't being signed as fast as downtown properties but they are doing "steady business." The reserved parking spaces in the back did have cars in the resident lots.

There are some cars in the parking lot at a few lights are on at night. It looks like there are tenants but it's not full yet. Does anyone know the price range?

Spitfiredude Aug 18, 2013 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6236329)
What exactly was he "suggesting" for Phoenix? I don't understand where you are coming up with this.

Do you think its only a coincidence that he is talking about the housing market here in Phoenix? We got hit by foreclosures hard and we were at the forefront of the economic disaster (not to say there weren't other areas where the housing market crash). Obama's speech is going to be directed more toward the Phoenix and Arizona area than somewhere else. Obviously, there are plenty of other places where the housing market was hit hard, but its not like he's going to come to Phoenix to blab about gay marriage or foreign policy. That's why he traveled the 2,500 miles to Phoenix to give the speech. I don't understand how this is making you so defensive. I'm not saying anything bad about Mr. President. All I said is I agree with KevininPhx's statement (if its true), I'm not bashing Obama. I'm done with this discussion...onto projects...

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2013 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6236578)
Do you think its only a coincidence that he is talking about the housing market here in Phoenix? We got hit by foreclosures hard and we were at the forefront of the economic disaster (not to say there weren't other areas where the housing market crash). Obama's speech is going to be directed more toward the Phoenix and Arizona area than somewhere else. Obviously, there are plenty of other places where the housing market was hit hard, but its not like he's going to come to Phoenix to blab about gay marriage or foreign policy That's why he traveled the 2,500 miles to Phoenix to give the speech. I don't understand how this is making you so defensive. I'm not saying anything bad about Mr. President. All I said is I agree with KevininPhx's statement (if its true), I'm not bashing Obama. Take a chill pill. I'm done with this discussion...onto projects...

It was directed towards the nation. Phoenix was one of the hardest hit markets but there are still areas worse off in terms of unemployment and neighborhoods in disrepair and still reeling from the recession: Las Vegas, Detroit, multiple cities in Florida and California, etc.. I'm "defensive" because you two are making absolutely no sense and to be quite honest, I am tired of the attitude against the President (especially in Arizona, like you calling any presidential speech a "blab") so any time I read misinformation I'm going to address it. If you think addressing the issue is being defensive than you are being overly sensitive.

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2013 8:16 PM

Did anyone attend the Reinvent PHX workshop for the Eastlake-Garfield neighborhood? This should get spitfire and KenvininPhx going:
Quote:

Design workshops are an intensive collaborative process where the community works with a design team, city staff and others to develop a collective vision for the future of transit-oriented development and produces a plan for the revitalization of the Eastlake-Garfield District.

Reinvent PHX is a community-based planning effort to guide transit-oriented development in five districts along the light rail corridor. This planning effort will serve as a model for other transit-oriented places along future light rail corridors throughout the city and region.

Reinvent PHX is a collaborative partnership between the city of Phoenix, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Arizona State University, St. Luke’s Health Initiatives and several other local, community-based organizations committed to improving the quality of life in Phoenix.
http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...lake-garfield/

Though this had nothing to do with Obama's speech, it is about TOD in underserved neighborhoods with lower income folk. As part of Garfield's redevelopment, I hope they include the local artists who continue to transform Garfield.

Spitfiredude Aug 18, 2013 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 6236605)
Did anyone attend the Reinvent PHX workshop for the Eastlake-Garfield neighborhood? This should get spitfire and KenvininPhx going:

I said I agreed with KevininPhx on the issue that our President doesn't have much business in deciding what demographics belong in what areas of our Valley cities (whether I am agreeing on a factual or nonfactual statement, is irrelevant to me). I believe in a good amount of separation between local, state, federal governments. I did not say anything on the TOD subject. Seriously, stop on this issue and move on.

phxSUNSfan Aug 18, 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6236657)
I said I agreed with KevininPhx on the issue that our President doesn't have much business in deciding what demographics belong in what areas of our Valley cities (whether I am agreeing on a factual or nonfactual statement, is irrelevant to me). I believe in a good amount of separation between local, state, federal governments. I did not say anything on the TOD subject. Seriously, stop on this issue and move on.

It is obvious that the conversation was lost on you. The reason we were disagreeing with Kevin is simply because he made false statements: especially the part when he wrote that "Obama's...declaration [is] that Phoenix will be a mecca for the country's most impoverished people" and that low-income individuals were being "pushed" into other neighborhoods. You didn't understand what the disagreement was in the first place, instead going on a tangent by stating that the President was "suggesting" Phoenix-specific remedies. That is what I was addressing in terms of your comments.