SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Riverline | 8 Towers | 600FT - 500FT(X2) - 380FT(X2) - 242FT(X2) - 300FT~ (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221826)

BVictor1 Jan 2, 2018 12:02 AM

It's a bit more visually stubby than I'd like to see.

wchicity Jan 2, 2018 3:57 AM

Any idea when the next phases are supposed to start?

ithakas Jan 10, 2018 3:56 AM

I saw a couple excavators moving dirt around on the northern half of the site pretty far from Ancora earlier today – my guess is they're getting started on the park and riverwalk now.

Also, unrelated, but I saw a cherry picker next to the Jos Cacciatore sign on the north side of the Hunter building across the street. Hopefully they were just cleaning it or replacing bulbs and not dismantling it, as I really dislike the proposal for that block we saw a couple years ago...

Stunnies23 Jan 10, 2018 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8025451)
Fantastic! Hopefully that means the next one can start soon! Ask him if he knows anything about the next building's timeline if you could, thanks!

Bad news :( He said that there is no timeline or firm plans to begin construction of the next tower as of now. They’re going to do some excavation and dirt moving to get ready for when they get the financing / approval for the next one, but caissons are on hold until then. He said some of the riverwalk / park should start after the heart of winter is over.

KWillChicago Jan 10, 2018 10:51 AM

Didnt someone say the townhouses on the south end was the next phase? I thought i remembered reading that.

ithakas Jan 10, 2018 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8041951)
Didnt someone say the townhouses on the south end was the next phase? I thought i remembered reading that.

I think the next building was to be a smaller condo tower on the south end. But work on the park for the north end is great news.

ardecila Jan 10, 2018 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8041951)

Ancora has liner townhouses... if those aren't selling very well, they might have moved up another apartment or condo tower to start first.

Jim in Chicago Jan 10, 2018 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8042365)
Ancora has liner townhouses... if those aren't selling very well, they might have moved up another apartment or condo tower to start first.

Are they actually selling anything? The website still has nothing but a "sign up for more information" page. I've signed up multiple times and haven't even received an acknowledgement.

ardecila Jan 13, 2018 5:36 AM

If I had to guess, they’ll probably wait to sell townhouses (or even finish them from raw) until the first landscaping package is done. If you’re selling park and river views, I don’t think buyers will be happy to have to look out on a dusty lot for another two years after they close.

the urban politician Jan 13, 2018 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8045792)
If I had to guess, they’ll probably wait to sell townhouses (or even finish them from raw) until the first landscaping package is done. If you’re selling park and river views, I don’t think buyers will be happy to have to look out on a dusty lot for another two years after they close.

Agree. From a business standpoint the housing market has been on the rebound for a while and I think it makes sense to sell townhomes until the rental market absorbs some of this excess inventory.

I would wait a full year before starting another rental tower.

Koodoo25 Jan 20, 2018 2:20 AM

Jan 19th

https://i.imgur.com/oeUQVGC.jpg

Fvn Jan 20, 2018 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koodoo25 (Post 8053824)

Did you happen to go by the Willis tower, is there anything going on there with the new lobby construction?

Skyguy_7 Jan 20, 2018 4:18 PM

^ I was there yesterday. The old plaza is entirely fenced off. Substantial work has begun.

Steely Dan Jan 22, 2018 3:33 AM

Do not feed the troll.

Justin_Chicago Jan 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8042452)
Are they actually selling anything? The website still has nothing but a "sign up for more information" page. I've signed up multiple times and haven't even received an acknowledgement.

Me too. I am targeting this development for a new condo or townhouse. I am waiting to get an email that they are accepting pre-construction orders.

ithakas Jan 22, 2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago (Post 8056406)
Me too. I am targeting this development for a new condo or townhouse. I am waiting to get an email that they are accepting pre-construction orders.

I'm in a similar boat. When I last walked past the site a few weeks ago, I got the sense that they were ramping up on the park/riverwalk construction with Ancora nearing completion. Those two elements plus the first condo tower were supposed to be phase one, so we may be getting close. I'm sure I'll walk by in the next week or so again.

Justin_Chicago Jan 23, 2018 12:09 AM

Well... as long that posters keep updating each other... we might all be neighbors one day. Beers at my place if that happens :cheers:

ithakas Jan 23, 2018 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago (Post 8056702)
Well... as long that posters keep updating each other... we might all be neighbors one day. Beers at my place if that happens :cheers:

I'm in! :cheers:

harryc Jan 27, 2018 2:40 PM

Jan 26

Old dock foundations.

The splintered board is what remains of the retaining wall

wchicity Feb 7, 2018 6:31 AM

Anyone have any info on when the future phases are going to get started?

KWillChicago Feb 16, 2018 3:35 AM

Anyone got recent shots? Wondering how the excavating is going since harry's last shots.

Bombardier Feb 16, 2018 11:38 AM

^I don’t have photos but have been by there recently. They have been taking the tower crane down all week. Can’t see the excavation from the expressway, though.

Notyrview Feb 16, 2018 1:49 PM

I really like the scale of this development.

LouisVanDerWright Feb 16, 2018 7:44 PM

Was just by there this morning and they are using those piles of dirt to make actual terrain and grade changes which is cool. I also saw they've started using huge slabs of rough Indiana limestone to build retaining walls for the new terrain they've created.

Hawkeyes10 Feb 16, 2018 11:52 PM

Got to be on site today and it appears the next phase will involve buildings C and/or E, including portions of the riverwalk (as previously mentioned on this thread I believe). Not privy to any firm timeline details at the moment unfortunately but at least things seem to be moving forward.

left of center Feb 17, 2018 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8087894)
I really like the scale of this development.

Could've been a bit denser, considering this will be a southward extension of the Loop. While I wouldn't mind the buildings along Harrison and the northern end of the site to be a bit taller, my biggest peeve is that there will be townhouses along the south end of the site. There shouldn't be such low density development anywhere near this area or along the river. *cough* Dearborn Park *cough*

aaron38 Feb 17, 2018 2:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8088454)
Was just by there this morning and they are using those piles of dirt to make actual terrain and grade changes which is cool. I also saw they've started using huge slabs of rough Indiana limestone to build retaining walls for the new terrain they've created.

Not from the GGP building are they?

harryc Feb 23, 2018 2:52 AM

Feb 21

Ready for re-use after about 100yrs

Old footings - I think these are what were in the concrete piers along the river (now mostly removed)

KWillChicago Feb 23, 2018 2:57 AM

Great shots harry. That last one reminds me of the pictures from the early 1900's were the rivers edge looked like swamp land.

donnie Feb 23, 2018 3:57 AM

Reminds me of playing with metal Tonka toys!

Great shots, thnx

Chi-Sky21 Feb 23, 2018 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8063193)
Jan 26

Old dock foundations.

Kinda wish they left the old dock foundations. They remind me of old dragons teeth tank traps! But i guess you don't need tank traps next to a river in chicago ....... :)

Skyguy_7 Feb 23, 2018 6:33 PM

^Those were indeed pretty cool. Definitely gave a WWII era feel.

Photo from today. It will be great to see the rest of the towers fill this area in.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4753/...e7847f55_b.jpg

left of center Feb 23, 2018 6:35 PM

^ Off topic, but I remember there being a plan for a small office building on the lot just north of the chiller building. What ever became of that?

Notyrview Feb 23, 2018 6:37 PM

^^ nice perspective, haven't seen a shot like that before

Chi-Sky21 Feb 23, 2018 8:12 PM

That parking lot NE corner of Harrison and Wells is screaming out for something.

Notyrview Feb 23, 2018 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8096878)
That parking lot NE corner of Harrison and Wells is screaming out for something.

Yeah something at least 650' would look great there.

BrinChi Feb 24, 2018 5:17 AM

Quote:

Wasn't there some gaudy hotel proposed for that site? It was going to tear down the nice midrise in the middle too :yuck:

KWillChicago Feb 24, 2018 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8096715)
^ Off topic, but I remember there being a plan for a small office building on the lot just north of the chiller building. What ever became of that?

I think it was two highrises. There and that lot just south of 311. Or was that two twins south and north of 311, like 40 floors each?

bnk Feb 24, 2018 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8095897)
Feb 21

MG]

Harryc

I Just want you to know all of those pics you posted were sublime.

I appreciate your contributions to this thread and many others like it when us outer folks cannot update like you can.

Again a Kudos to you. I really appreciate it. Your work on Wolf Point is awesome too BTW. Keep up you sage work as long as you like to do, no pressure but I think you like your pics almost as much as I do.

:tup:

KWillChicago Feb 24, 2018 5:26 AM

NM. This is what I was thinking of.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...d-wacker-drive

KWillChicago Feb 26, 2018 2:03 PM

Quote:

Drove past this the other day and that would be an amazing spot for development, huge lot. Is there any significance to that midrise with the wster tower on top? I dont know how many people who want to live in the city but work in the SW burbs and take the train everyday but besides the metra the blue line is right there as well. Obviously wont happen anytime soon with riverline happening but interesting lot of land to think about. A possible jewel or marianos at the bottom could give it a boost.

Jim in Chicago Feb 26, 2018 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8097586)
I think it was two highrises. There and that lot just south of 311. Or was that two twins south and north of 311, like 40 floors each?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8099490)
Drove past this the other day and that would be an amazing spot for development, huge lot. Is there any significance to that midrise with the wster tower on top? I dont know how many people who want to live in the city but work in the SW burbs and take the train everyday but besides the metra the blue line is right there as well. Obviously wont happen anytime soon with riverline happening but interesting lot of land to think about. A possible jewel or marianos at the bottom could give it a boost.

There was a hotel proposed, but I'm not sure how to define "gaudy". I recall that it was a sort of standard mid-range brand.

gebs Feb 26, 2018 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago (Post 8099680)
There was a hotel proposed, but I'm not sure how to define "gaudy". I recall that it was a sort of standard mid-range brand.

Is this what we're talking about?

Grand Central [via Phoenix Development Partners]

BVictor1 Feb 26, 2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8099687)

No, they're referring to the PoMo crap by DeStefano that looked like it was out of 1985 architecturally.

Jim in Chicago Feb 27, 2018 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8099687)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8100264)
No, they're referring to the PoMo crap by DeStefano that looked like it was out of 1985 architecturally.

I know I saw some renderings somewhere at the time, but can't seem to find them now. Does anyone have any? I remember them as being rather generic cookie cutter mid-range hotel.

Mister Uptempo Feb 27, 2018 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 8101189)
I can see it in my head..it is bad, really awful kind of bad...let's hope it is dead forever - especially since it demo'd that nice midrise.

Is this it?

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 27, 2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 8101326)

I don't think so, that doesn't look like PoMo to me, unless that term has just lost all meaning(ironically enough)

Jim in Chicago Feb 28, 2018 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 8101326)

The address would be right and the article talks about replacing the Cacciatore building, so that would be it. Wow, that's like the world's ugliest parking platform.

KWillChicago Feb 28, 2018 5:55 PM

Strange they wouldnt develope the east half of that parking lot.

left of center Feb 28, 2018 5:59 PM

I hope that doesn't come to fruition. I've grown fond of the Hunter Building (Cacciatore Building) over the years, since its so visible along 290/Congress. Its a handsome vintage building in an area that has lost a lot of its historic building stock.

Considering all the new construction on the east side of Wells that has gone up, as well as all the new Riverline buildings that will be going up, this little brick building will help provide contrast to all the steel and glass. It would be nice if they found a way to keep it around, but I will admit its positioning on that block isn't conducive to its preservation, as opposed to if it was located on the north or south ends instead.