SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Nobody-Important Jul 16, 2020 1:31 AM

The thought of the possibility of Astra and Central Station going up at the same time makes me happy. A man can dream.

azliam Jul 16, 2020 1:32 AM

SO...

I found this youtube video the other day. Flight from PHX to HNL with a glimpse of downtown. I love watching these videos because they're very calming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Dt2-kc5Mw

fawd Jul 16, 2020 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonddave (Post 8982535)
I have been lurking this forum for seven months and finally signed up.I am very excited to read all the great opinions and knowledge that this forum brings.

Hello.

Welcome to the forum! What high school did you go to?
:cheers:

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jul 16, 2020 3:45 AM

Wow, this forum gets hostile sometime. Anyway, yeah, the pandemic has been horrible for downtowns, especially ours. I would have to guess most of the people that work downtown that are working from home don’t live downtown, maybe not even close to downtown which in turn hurts the restaurants for their lunch rush and coffee shops for their morning coffee and breakfast. It hurts our downtown worse because the amount of residents that live there are just not where it needs to be yet with the amount of restaurants we have. Couple that with no events, no Suns then no Dbacks, no concerts, not even a Stand Up Live event. They were actually starting to book again but I don’t know where that stands with the lastest uptick in COVID and closures. Copper Blues just reopened, like mid June and decided to close back down. Our downtown is being hurt immensely by COVID, thank goodness the protests didn’t turn into bad riots and continue on to even now like in Portland. We can thank the heat for that! I hope everyone that is on here is making their way downtown to support our businesses downtown. Maybe when the pools reopen, stay in a downtown hotel for a staycation to enjoy a weekend! They have a new downtown campaign to Spread Your Wings, I hope everyone does, stay safe, wear a mask and enjoy a cold drink. BTW, I tried Dog Haus last week and it is sooooo good, better than Short Leash to me.

Diamonddave Jul 16, 2020 3:45 AM

I went to Westwood high in Mesa

Diamonddave Jul 16, 2020 4:01 AM

As far as dead downtowns go I believe that's happening nation wide. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego and they say there downtowns are empty and almost lifeless also.

biggus diggus Jul 16, 2020 4:39 AM

Why is there so much foul language? We can all treat each other with a grain of respect, you know. Even if we don't get along all the time.

biggus diggus Jul 16, 2020 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonddave (Post 8982777)
As far as dead downtowns go I believe that's happening nation wide. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego and they say there downtowns are empty and almost lifeless also.

I just did some traveling and found myself in Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Omaha, Memphis, Saint Louis and a few others. Every city was very quiet.

You're totally correct, cities are very quiet right now. I will be in Chicago next month and expect I'll be able to visit my favorite places (Girl and the Goat, Publican, Doughnut Vault) that usually have hour or longer waits without issue.

fawd Jul 16, 2020 4:53 AM

Wildcat has been banned, it appears!

Check that... two users.

combusean Jul 16, 2020 5:20 AM

It should've said suspended but the "ban" is temporary and in accordant with what I felt was appropriate and I said what I needed to say to the offenders.

I'm going to leave what was said as a reminder to move on from this. Do not be next.

fawd Jul 16, 2020 5:32 AM

So... tall buildings are pretty cool...

:P :P :P

biggus diggus Jul 16, 2020 5:40 AM

I agree. Have any of you ever been to OKC? I spent a few weeks there in 2001 and remembered it as a clean and nice place but nothing more. A few weeks ago we visited again and it was really a great town.

To speak to the interest of the website they have a tower there that's very large, probably twice the size of anything else in town. The Devon Tower. Really nice building and great town.

combusean Jul 16, 2020 6:16 AM

^ City vs city discussions are generally forbidden on SSP.

If you can productively compare Phoenix with any other city in what they're doing that can work here, by all means.

biggus diggus Jul 16, 2020 6:33 AM

He was trying to direct the topic somewhere positive by saying skyscrapers are cool, I responded by making a comment about a cool skyscraper. There's no competition even being implied. You're looking for more than there is to find.

If anything the exchange you're upset about was the first positive thing to happen here all day. Yet you're upset.

combusean Jul 16, 2020 7:01 AM

soft delete ... good lordy am I tired...

gymratmanaz Jul 16, 2020 1:35 PM

I went to Flagstaff for the day to fish, and holy Hell breaks out. Obviously, I can never leave again. LOL!

I keep driving around downtown and am still amazed by the growth, both large and small. I came here in 1987, so I know what DT was like then and now. It is incredible. I know sometimes change takes time, but change comes. It is thrilling!!!

COME ON ASTRA!!!!!!!!! and more....!!!!!!!!! :)

fawd Jul 16, 2020 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8982845)
He was trying to direct the topic somewhere positive by saying skyscrapers are cool, I responded by making a comment about a cool skyscraper. There's no competition even being implied. You're looking for more than there is to find.

If anything the exchange you're upset about was the first positive thing to happen here all day. Yet you're upset.

Thanks, BD. :tup:

CrestedSaguaro Jul 16, 2020 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8982833)
I agree. Have any of you ever been to OKC? I spent a few weeks there in 2001 and remembered it as a clean and nice place but nothing more. A few weeks ago we visited again and it was really a great town.

To speak to the interest of the website they have a tower there that's very large, probably twice the size of anything else in town. The Devon Tower. Really nice building and great town.

Devon tower is a great looking tower, but IMO, really creates an oddball look with a tower sticking up over the rest of OKC by 344' over the 2nd tallest tower. I used to go to OKC twice per year. When driving into town on I-40, I could literally see Devon Tower from about 10 miles away and I wouldn't see any other towers until I was about 3 miles out.

As much as I would love for Phoenix to have an iconic tower as tall as Devon, it would just look odd to have an 844' tower looming over Phoenix with an even shorter skyline than OKC.

biggus diggus Jul 16, 2020 5:06 PM

I agree, it's very out of place. It basically amounts to Devon Energy trying to show off.

fawd Jul 16, 2020 5:24 PM

Said it many times before... but I'll take a dozen 15-20 story towers over a super tall (by Phoenix standards) any day!