SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Sep 11, 2015 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7160435)
Double sidenote: Any updates on The Union at Roosevelt? that thing is taking forever.

It certainly does seem like it's taking forever. Someone said they'd be getting a crane on site in November (I think), if that's true, it should speed up then. Not sure why it will take so long to get the crane.

PHXFlyer11 Sep 11, 2015 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7160519)
It certainly does seem like it's taking forever. Someone said they'd be getting a crane on site in November (I think), if that's true, it should speed up then. Not sure why it will take so long to get the crane.

I wouldn't be too harsh on them. No developer wants to move slow as they burn cash. If it's slow there's a reason. It likely has to do with the infrastructure and existing utilities. I believe the complexity was a major reason why the city RFQ'd that property.

I think Luhr's infrastructure challenges tell a similar story.

biggus diggus Sep 11, 2015 9:20 PM

Mark Taylor did the one on 3rd and Fillmore, no? I know it's not them now but I recall they developed it.

Re: Union it's coming along nicely, I pass by it several times a day.

ASU Diablo Sep 11, 2015 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7160796)
Mark Taylor did the one on 3rd and Fillmore, no? I know it's not them now but I recall they developed it.

Skyline Lofts?? I don't think that's Mark Taylor

and HX_Guy - Here's another one! I think I remember reading about this one but hadn't seen rendering or details. Looks nice! Will compliment the other one that's under construction nicely!

http://azbex.com/350-unit-mixed-use-...o-central-phx/

biggus diggus Sep 11, 2015 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7160807)

and HX_Guy - Here's another one! I think I remember reading about this one but hadn't seen rendering or details. Looks nice! Will compliment the other one that's under construction nicely!

It was not developed as Skyline Lofts and I could be wrong but I'm almost positive it was Mark Taylor for a short time at the beginning when it was called Alta.

Also isn't the SWC of 16th and Highland a public elementary school and park?

pbenjamin Sep 11, 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7160821)
It was not developed as Skyline Lofts and I could be wrong but I'm almost positive it was Mark Taylor for a short time at the beginning when it was called Alta.

Yes, it was Alta Phoenix and Mark Taylor.

prairieman Sep 12, 2015 12:54 AM

Empty lot now. Used to be a thrift store and the former home of Coup de Tartes. The school is the SW of 16th and Campbell.

PHXFlyer11 Sep 12, 2015 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7160807)

WOW. They are just finishing up the project on the NWC. This is a beautiful project. Looks to be very pedestrian friendly as well. Phoenix is on fire! Downtown, Midtown, Uptown, Arcadia.

The other thing that is encouraging is we are seeing more 6-7 story projects like this and Edison vs. the 4-5 story projects we've grown used to. Can't wait til 8-10 becomes more of the norm.

PhxMatt Sep 12, 2015 3:26 PM

There is talk that Red Development, who built Cityscape and now is working to redevelop the Collier Center, is working on development plans for the vacant lot between the two. The initial plan calls for apartments and a full size grocery store. I am not sure how far along they are in the process, but given the success of cityscape and everything else happening downtown right now I would expect them to move fairly quickly.

Obadno Sep 12, 2015 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxMatt (Post 7161385)
There is talk that Red Development, who built Cityscape and now is working to redevelop the Collier Center, is working on development plans for the vacant lot between the two. The initial plan calls for apartments and a full size grocery store. I am not sure how far along they are in the process, but given the success of cityscape and everything else happening downtown right now I would expect them to move fairly quickly.

After going to the super bowl party I was almost hoping that they would make that lot a plaza or something

I know patriots park 2.0 but if it had high rises all around it would be a cool plaza park.

And by colliers do you mean that empty lot that long ago might have been a W hotel?

PHXFlyer11 Sep 12, 2015 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxMatt (Post 7161385)

Damn. I hope this is not the case. I'm all for development, but we need a signature office tower on that lot and it's not gonna happen right now. I hope nothing happens on this lot for a few years when we can absorbs some more class A downtown.

combusean Sep 12, 2015 9:00 PM

Interesting, that 350 unit complex on 16th and Highland is significantly more dense than the one on 7th Ave and Fillmore.

Here's its PUD narrative: https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Documents/Z-127-14n.pdf

The Planned Unit Development district passed with little fanfair several years ago. It's how many of these newer projects are possible, and is well on its way to significantly reshaping Phoenix.

It's almost mind-boggling to realize how many single-family houses were torn down for the parking lot that preceded this project. Google Streetview shows a ramshackle single family neighborhood several years ago. It's quite nice to watch the city infill like that, especially when crummy single family homes get razed en masse.

This is also a *huge* project, I'm really surprised it got approved in Phoenix. It fills up its lot almost entirely, and it's just a big building over all, with like a 500' frontage.

As for that RED project, I'm not sure why a grocery store would be a good idea on that lot when the residential core of downtown is evolving in the north.

Freeway Sep 13, 2015 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7161515)
Damn. I hope this is not the case. I'm all for development, but we need a signature office tower on that lot and it's not gonna happen right now. I hope nothing happens on this lot for a few years when we can absorbs some more class A downtown.

No we don't. We don't need more half empty office buildings. Many large office buildings do nothing but create dead space that could purposed for something better that energizes the surrounding area. An apartment building and grocery store would do a lot more for downtown revitalization than another bland corporate office building. I just got back from Houston, which has a downtown that is full of glassy, tall office buildings. On weekends, Downtown Houston is as dead, if not more dead than Phoenix. The tall buildings do nothing for Downtown Houston. It's not a place anyone wants to spend any time in. Phoenix is already bland enough. We don't need to fuck up downtown any further by creating more dead space.

nickw252 Sep 13, 2015 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeway (Post 7161964)
No we don't. We don't need more half empty office buildings. Many large office buildings do nothing but create dead space that could purposed for something better that energizes the surrounding area. An apartment building and grocery store would do a lot more for downtown revitalization than another bland corporate office building. I just got back from Houston, which has a downtown that is full of glassy, tall office buildings. On weekends, Downtown Houston is as dead, if not more dead than Phoenix. The tall buildings do nothing for Downtown Houston. It's not a place anyone wants to spend any time in. Phoenix is already bland enough. We don't need to fuck up downtown any further by creating more dead space.

I agree. I'd rather see residential and a super market. There's plenty of open space for future "signature" office towers when demand necessitates more office space.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

dtnphx Sep 14, 2015 1:44 AM

Agreed. Apartments over office. It is not unusual for there not to be a highrise office building built in a major American city for decades sometimes. Let it absorb the inventory it needs to before building. As for their not being a need for a grocery, perhaps with the amount of apartments they could be building on that site with the grocery, how about the Palomar apartments, the proposed apartments just across the street on Jefferson, 44 Monroe and all the apartments being built near Roosevelt Row? In fact, two stores will be needed with 2-3 years. Mark my words.

dtnphx Sep 15, 2015 6:58 PM

Exclusive: Infill builder developing Phoenix apartments, Biltmore, Roosevelt Row townhouses

Infill home builder Watt Communities of Arizona is getting into the infill apartment game and is looking to build a new multifamily complex at 32nd Street and Shea Boulevard. The development is just off State Route 51.

Scottsdale-based Watt has bought 3.62 acres of land for the View 32 apartments for $2.5 million.

It wants to build a four-story, 135-unit upscale complex on the property, according to Watt COO Paul Timm.

Construction is slated to start next spring with delivery in 2017. It’s Watt’s first foray into Arizona apartments.

Watt usually specializes in infill home building and has projects under construction now in Tempe at Broadway Road and Dorsey Lane and another called Biltmore Living near 24th Street and Camelback Road.

Those two townhouse developments are for 51 and 40 units, respectively.

Watt also plans another 31 home single-family infill development near 32nd Street and Cactus Road just north of the planned apartments. That project is near the Basis Phoenix charter school campus.

The builder’s 32nd Street projects total $18 million.

Watt also has plans for a 35-unit upscale townhouse development on Roosevelt Row in downtown Phoenix. Those are located at Eighth and Roosevelt streets.

“Phoenix is clamoring for city living, putting rental multifamily communities of all types near record high occupancies,” said Steve Pritulsky, president and CEO of Watt in a statement.

Watt is also plotting another single-family build at 16th Street and Ocotillo Road in north central Phoenix.

All told Watt’s current and planned Arizona projects total $45 million.

Watt Communities of Arizona is an offshoot of Santa Monica-based Watt Communities. Watt also builds in Southern California and Washington D.C.

Obadno Sep 15, 2015 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7164670)
Exclusive: Infill builder developing Phoenix apartments, Biltmore, Roosevelt Row townhouses

Infill home builder Watt Communities of Arizona is getting into the infill apartment game and is looking to build a new multifamily complex at 32nd Street and Shea Boulevard. The development is just off State Route 51.

Scottsdale-based Watt has bought 3.62 acres of land for the View 32 apartments for $2.5 million.

It wants to build a four-story, 135-unit upscale complex on the property, according to Watt COO Paul Timm.

Construction is slated to start next spring with delivery in 2017. It’s Watt’s first foray into Arizona apartments.

Watt usually specializes in infill home building and has projects under construction now in Tempe at Broadway Road and Dorsey Lane and another called Biltmore Living near 24th Street and Camelback Road.

Those two townhouse developments are for 51 and 40 units, respectively.

Watt also plans another 31 home single-family infill development near 32nd Street and Cactus Road just north of the planned apartments. That project is near the Basis Phoenix charter school campus.

The builder’s 32nd Street projects total $18 million.

Watt also has plans for a 35-unit upscale townhouse development on Roosevelt Row in downtown Phoenix. Those are located at Eighth and Roosevelt streets.

“Phoenix is clamoring for city living, putting rental multifamily communities of all types near record high occupancies,” said Steve Pritulsky, president and CEO of Watt in a statement.

Watt is also plotting another single-family build at 16th Street and Ocotillo Road in north central Phoenix.

All told Watt’s current and planned Arizona projects total $45 million.

Watt Communities of Arizona is an offshoot of Santa Monica-based Watt Communities. Watt also builds in Southern California and Washington D.C.

The 8th street and Roosevelt is interesting. We haven't really had much development going on in theat Neighborhood.

Maybe one day the entire inner-loop of downtown will be gentrified and not half abandoned half barrio

mdpx Sep 16, 2015 3:57 PM

Redevelopment to bring two new restaurants to Phoenix

Wetta Ventures has purchased a retail building on the southeast corner of Indian School Road and 28th Street in Phoenix, which will be leased by two restaurants as part of an adaptive reuse project...

http://azbigmedia.com/featured/redev...urants-phoenix

biggus diggus Sep 16, 2015 11:14 PM

Wild, Indian school is seeing a Renaissance not unlike what is going on on 7th Street.

BTW has anyone been up 7th lately? Wow! I saw yet another redevelopment happening north of Bethany, so now it's 5 redevelopment projects between camelback and Maryland, plus that brick west company has a sign up at 12th and Missouri for yet another, and of course there's the building next to the tit bar on 12th.

There sure is. Lot going on.

Edit: very on point car choice for the rendering on that site. :)

crwhiteinaz Sep 16, 2015 11:47 PM

A new brewery on indian school

I've wanted to post on Indian School happenings, but wasn't sure if this forum channel was the right place. I live just north of Indian School/28th street and I'm loving all the great stuff going on.

Here's another cool happenin' coming to this corridor.

Helton Brewing Company
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...s-year-7639883

http://heltonbrewing.com/the-brewery/

There are so many cool buildings in this area. There are some great old buildings from 21st to 24th street. It would be nice to see these have a revival as well!

EDIT: The group "Private Label" that is doing the branding for this brewery has some great renderings on their site.

http://privatelabelintl.com/helton-brewing-company/

"Helton Brewing Company is a brewpub in Phoenix, AZ. The brewpub will offer a unique experience of pairing our beers with a constantly changing selection of artisanal cheese, charcuterie, and specialized condiments. The bar will have a dynamic array of wines and spirits that can be added to the tasting plate. The guest will be able to order their own selections from meats, cheeses and condiments from the chalk board wall, making every experience a culinary adventure.

The Helton Brewing Company will be a place that all types of foodies, restaurateurs, sommeliers, chefs, brewers and beer enthusiasts will want to go after work or on their day off to enjoy a pint and work on their palate. With such a playful environment and relaxed atmosphere the brewpub will be a great place to enjoy the company of friends and family.

The brewer of Helton Brewing Company is a certified Cicerone and has spent many years developing menus for brewer’s dinners and has an extensive knowledge of how beer and food pair together. People have different thresholds to different tastes from saltiness to butteriness to bitterness which impacts the beer and cheese pairing. Some beers offer layers of flavor and nuances that defy the notion of what most people have in mind as beer. The level of hoppiness, fermentation flavors, alcohol, body, and aging of the beer lead to multi-dimensional taste. The hops in beer parallels the acidity in wine and the carbonation offers a textural component to the tasting and helps cut the fat from the palate. Cheesemakers and brewers both come out of the background of centuries in fermentation science. Both rely on the principles of preserving food for later enjoyment. The charcuterie and condiments allow the guest to play with flavors and see how sweetness, spiciness, and saltiness changes the flavors of the beer. The Helton Brewing Company will educate our guests on how their palate reacts to our pairings and bring extra excitement in a unique dining experience."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/ite...52.57%20PM.png