SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

Busy Bee Apr 17, 2018 2:32 AM

Masthead Tower or The Masthead have a nice ring to them...

Fvn Apr 17, 2018 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexxed82 (Post 8157150)

:cheers:

UPChicago Apr 17, 2018 2:35 AM

HELL FUCKING YES!!! Build it now!

sbarn Apr 17, 2018 2:35 AM

So jealous of Chicago... such an amazing tower. :slob:

rgarri4 Apr 17, 2018 2:40 AM

The presentation tonight was interesting. When Gordon Gill came out he didn't even ease into it. He stood up and just went BAM and threw the rendering up there as the audience gasped. There were a lot of NIMBY's in the crowd saying the same stuff they always say.

To be honest I like the earlier renderings I originally saw and based my massing model off of. The materials haven't changed from that initial design I saw, champagne colored metal fins with lots of glass. Somehow this design seems too familiar and the form doesn't really match the Tribune in any way. Still a good looking building and will be a nice addition to the skyline.

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 17, 2018 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8157080)
On Wacker drive I believe. Like right by the river.

Just saw Harry C already replied and corrected this statement, delete

TallBob Apr 17, 2018 2:50 AM

Chicago....Making the entire Midwest Proud!!

230Roberto Apr 17, 2018 2:55 AM

I've seen a couple comments saying the Trump Tower is going to get dwarfed. Now I actually think these two towers complement each other, either way. Trump Tower is just so T H I C C you can't get red of it. Also this is one of those towers where it looks much better once its built. Reminds me of one of those towers built in random Asian cities.

Side Question: You guys think Vista Sells will get effected?

HomrQT Apr 17, 2018 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8157037)
I gotta go ahead and say it. I’m not that into it. I think the design is boring.

The more Iook at it, the more I have to agree. The height is awesome. The materials look good in the renderings. But that design is a different direction than where I'd hoped it was going. Would have been nice to see a squared body like what rgarri4 originally detailed for us.

tm30 Apr 17, 2018 2:58 AM

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...oVMdok4.d3.JPG

This close up of the crown gives me chills. Maybe I'm nuts, but I immediately thought of the original WTC with those vertical details above the occupied floors (albeit gold).

That said, this building is beautiful. I hope it doesn't end up in the gallery of unrealized renderings. We might need a dedicated wing at the Art Institute for those...

the urban politician Apr 17, 2018 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree (Post 8157078)
I think this tower has a great chance of happening. It's location is nearly unbeatable. Just steps away from Michigan Ave, near the new epicenter of shopping (with Apple, etc.), and with killer views. I feel like this tower has a much better chance of being completed than anything on the old Spire site. I'd say that the condos will sell much faster than Vista's condos because of its location. Sure LSE is a nice neighborhood, but it doesn't have the vibrancy nor name notoriety as Michigan Avenue. This is by far the best location of the current proposed or under construction supertalls in the city. Not even One Chicago Square can pass this one up.

Being on the Mag Mile has not always equated to good luxury condo sales. Look at the Ritz Carlton Reisdences, which struggled for years.

jchase79 Apr 17, 2018 3:10 AM

I know Chicago usually goes for boxier buildings, I think the gentle curves of this design will make for a nice contrast. It's a fairly simple shape but I love how it is evocative of a Gothic arch. I hope it gets built!

donnie Apr 17, 2018 3:14 AM

Tribune East, more like Tribune Beast!

I'm not mad at this design even tho i very much dislike chopstick towers!

Chris Stritzel Apr 17, 2018 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8157075)

Thank you!

2PRUROCKS! Apr 17, 2018 3:18 AM

Wow! This is outstanding...even better than I was anticipating. I love the tapering form and crown. I love the facade details with the strong vertical elements on the east and west elevations and the glass details on the north and south elevations. The base and street level treatment also look outstanding. I hope it gets built.

rgolch Apr 17, 2018 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8157037)
I gotta go ahead and say it. I’m not that into it. I think the design is boring.

I mean.... gosh... I almost don’t want to agree with you..... but....

I like it... but It doesn’t exactly fit into the skyline.... It almost looks like it should be in Shanghai or something....

Nevertheless. It’s height and the gleaming glass is impressive. And it’s in an awesome location. I think it has a pretty decent shot of happening.

marothisu Apr 17, 2018 3:25 AM

I like it - nice height and the design is kind of subtly futuristic in a way. Not over the top either. Whoever brought up KK100 in Shenzhen, I totally agree but I like this more in the rendering than KK100. The tower totally reminds me of something that would be put in China as a showpiece in one of the cities which is a good thing IMO.

Vista and this thing and potentially whatever is there at the Spire site has the ability to get Chicago back in this supertall game. Will be interesting to see what happens.

HomrQT Apr 17, 2018 3:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchase79 (Post 8157215)
I know Chicago usually goes for boxier buildings, I think the gentle curves of this design will make for a nice contrast. It's a fairly simple shape but I love how it is evocative of a Gothic arch. I hope it gets built!

If they had continued the building up to the point and actually created a gothic arch, I'd be a bigger fan of this building.

maru2501 Apr 17, 2018 3:34 AM

not holding my breath for this one

marothisu Apr 17, 2018 3:39 AM

I actually think this one has a decent shot of happening. The hotel is a given IMO and the apartment market continues its tear downtown. That's nearly 85% of everything for this building unit wise. Condos maybe aren't a given, but my guess is that they scaled down on the number of condos because the hotel and apartments will be a fairly simple sell IMO. And then you have just about 11,000 sq ft of retail space which isn't really that much.