SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

djforsberg Nov 29, 2022 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9801600)
Lancaster's in Harbour Landing is shutting down at the end of this week, but is keeping their downtown location.

Wow. Its sad that a local restaurant couldn't make it in Harbour Landing, but honestly I am not surprised. The quality of service and the food was not that great. Hopefully something better takes its place.

Stormer Nov 30, 2022 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito (Post 9801607)
Question for the folks in Regina. Is there anywhere in your city i can find "pupusas"? Its salvadorean food. I found a few places here in MB, including one place in small town Brandon MB that has them. Was curious if you can get them in Regina?

There's a Salvadoran place in Indian Head

https://www.facebook.com/weareculturaih/

Luisito Nov 30, 2022 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 9802650)
There's a Salvadoran place in Indian Head

https://www.facebook.com/weareculturaih/



Cool. Will check it out next time im out that way. Thank you for the link. :tup:

yveseluj Dec 1, 2022 9:50 PM

Warehouse Brewing also closing its doors as of tomorrow. At this rate all we'll have left is Boston Pizza and Olive Garden.

djforsberg Dec 1, 2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9804234)
Warehouse Brewing also closing its doors as of tomorrow. At this rate all we'll have left is Boston Pizza and Olive Garden.

Jesus. That was a tough location to be in.

one_brick_at_a_time Dec 2, 2022 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9804250)
Jesus. That was a tough location to be in.

https://i.ibb.co/nr5HjV4/886320-D9-E...ADA7-DA850.jpg

pappcam Dec 2, 2022 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9804234)
Warehouse Brewing also closing its doors as of tomorrow. At this rate all we'll have left is Boston Pizza and Olive Garden.

Lots of craft brewer places still around. Restaurants and pubs open and close with great regularity all the time everywhere.

Newstart Dec 2, 2022 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9804250)
Jesus. That was a tough location to be in.

Government should probably run restaurants too because the private sector can't seem too.

djforsberg Dec 2, 2022 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newstart (Post 9804806)
Government should probably run restaurants too because the private sector can't seem too.

Lol I don't even know where to begin with this comment... My problem isn't with small businesses but you would know that if you actually read the things I posted. People would probably have more money to spend at local restaurants and pubs if they weren't being gouged by monopolistic corporations, outrageous housing costs, and high-fuel costs thanks to OPEC and Russia, and got paid better by their employers to make up for it. And yes that includes public sector wages that have been kept below inflation for decades for purely ideological reasons.

pappcam is right, restaurants close all the time. It's just too bad they are local establishments, while the global conglomerates proliferate like a virus.

Stormer Dec 2, 2022 6:33 PM

Often it is the second or third tenant who finally makes a go in a particular restaurant space. Often what happens is the operators are enticed by free rent periods and leasehold improvement allowances which are recouped with much higher rents down the road. When those costs kick, in they start losing money. The next operator will often get the leasehold improvements for nothing and landlords will get more realistic about rent.

Festivus Dec 2, 2022 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 9804993)
Often it is the second or third tenant who finally makes a go in a particular restaurant space. Often what happens is the operators are enticed by free rent periods and leasehold improvement allowances which are recouped with much higher rents down the road. When those costs kick, in they start losing money. The next operator will often get the leasehold improvements for nothing and landlords will get more realistic about rent.

Who owns that half of the building? Local Market?

djforsberg Dec 2, 2022 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 9804993)
Often it is the second or third tenant who finally makes a go in a particular restaurant space. Often what happens is the operators are enticed by free rent periods and leasehold improvement allowances which are recouped with much higher rents down the road. When those costs kick, in they start losing money. The next operator will often get the leasehold improvements for nothing and landlords will get more realistic about rent.

That's an interesting insight. It's a great space with lots of potential. Like I said tho, it's kind of off the beaten path.

Kegger Dec 3, 2022 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9804250)
Jesus. That was a tough location to be in.

This really kind of made me realize my habits of going to a bar / pub have really shifted from the Dewdney / warehouse district area to downtown over the years. I pretty much only go downtown now for my rare night out (used to be very common in my younger years haha). I am not sure if that is just, me getting old and behaviour changing, or a sign that there has been a bit of a shift downtown to that sort of thing.

BrutallyDishonest2 Dec 6, 2022 4:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9805024)
Who owns that half of the building? Local Market?

The whole complex is owned by the same investment group. I try to avoid supporting them.

djforsberg Jan 14, 2023 7:13 PM

Drove by the old Bodega on Albert and noticed it is now a Blanco Cantina. Looks like it began in Alberta. As someone who loves Mexican food, I’m excited to check it out.

prairieguy Jan 16, 2023 7:24 PM

We have Blanco in Saskatoon and I was hoping for a great little Mexican restaurant. It is 'ok' but fairly expensive in my opinion. They have a decent patio area in summer here in Saskatoon, but interior not that large so not sure how well they do in the 'non-patio' months.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 16, 2023 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 9840687)
We have Blanco in Saskatoon and I was hoping for a great little Mexican restaurant. It is 'ok' but fairly expensive in my opinion. They have a decent patio area in summer here in Saskatoon, but interior not that large so not sure how well they do in the 'non-patio' months.

Luckily the former La Bodega restaurant is a large multi storey house with multi patio spaces as well. Crossing fingers it does well.

Stormer Jan 16, 2023 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 9840687)
We have Blanco in Saskatoon and I was hoping for a great little Mexican restaurant. It is 'ok' but fairly expensive in my opinion. They have a decent patio area in summer here in Saskatoon, but interior not that large so not sure how well they do in the 'non-patio' months.

Everything is expensive now. I swear on average prices are up 50% over pre-pandemic.

Can't have too many Mexican places IMO. Agave is excellent and very authentic. Homestead also has a Mexican chef and again very authentic when they have Mexican nights.

djforsberg Jan 16, 2023 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 9840733)
Everything is expensive now. I swear on average prices are up 50% over pre-pandemic.

Can't have too many Mexican places IMO. Agave is excellent and very authentic. Homestead also has a Mexican chef and again very authentic when they have Mexican nights.

100%. The fiance and I checked out Homestead's current Mexican menu last weekend. The best part was the Sunwing cocktail :slob: (I'm guessing it was named before the whole airline debacle).

Newstart Jan 16, 2023 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairieguy (Post 9840687)
We have Blanco in Saskatoon and I was hoping for a great little Mexican restaurant. It is 'ok' but fairly expensive in my opinion. They have a decent patio area in summer here in Saskatoon, but interior not that large so not sure how well they do in the 'non-patio' months.

Been to the Calgary location a few times and would tend to concur.

Be interesting to see how they do in that location, it was a shame Bodega ended.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.