SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

Handsome Stranger Jun 1, 2022 10:51 PM

Is there an official or unofficial registry of Noirishers past and present? Just in case the Noirish Los Angeles Clubhouse/Soda Fountain/Dance Hall/Turkish Bath/Polo Grounds ever becomes manifest and a roll call is taken.

Mackerm Jun 2, 2022 5:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9627293)
Excellent post on the Toddler House, Noir Noir. ..I tried to dig up some additional information on poor Ginger O' Dare but came up empty. (her real name would have helped)

This snapshot just showed up on eBay

"VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH '14 FLOOD RAILROAD BRIDGE ARROYO LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/mftibJ.jpg
eBay

Pretty exciting stuff but I couldn't help but notice the impressive house on the hill.

This house....Does anyone recognize it?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/rEbYD6.jpg

.................................The horse is sad because his barn was swept away.

I think the photographer was standing on the newly constructed York Blvd. bridge.

https://i.postimg.cc/jqZfJgn5/6531_Monterey_Rd..png
UCSB

Here, the house at 6531 Monterey Rd, is just west of the border with South Pasadena, where the pavement changes. It's below the Santa Fe tracks, which are also visible in the flood photo. (George Hodel's house was nearby, so get on it, Black Dahlia scholars.)

Harrys Jun 2, 2022 1:11 PM

Bullock's department store, Los Angeles in 1925 (Downtown)
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co.../s16000/a1.jpg

Martin Pal Jun 2, 2022 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts (Post 9638729)
I miss NoirCityDame, who disappeared several years ago. She posted a lot of family photos showing LA life as it was lived in the era. Anybody know what became of her?

Yes, lots of great posts from NCD.

I wrote the following post once; June, 2019. No one responded with any thoughts on this idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8613926)
NoirCityDame, who used to post on NLA, often used Decobelle on her photobucket photo links and looking up her photobucket account it is under the name Jill Graham.
Do you suppose the J.H. Graham of the website is NoirCityDame? :shrug:

https://jhgraham.com/about-me/

AlvaroLegido Jun 2, 2022 5:29 PM

Unofficial registry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 9638950)
Is there an official or unofficial registry of Noirishers past and present? Just in case the Noirish Los Angeles Clubhouse/Soda Fountain/Dance Hall/Turkish Bath/Polo Grounds ever becomes manifest and a roll call is taken.

Well, there is an unofficial register for the first 6 years of NLA on page 1 452 post #29035. You were already there Handsome Stranger.

HossC Jun 2, 2022 6:26 PM

:previous:

If you go to the Found City Photos index page and click on the number in the "Replies" column on the right of the NLA row, you'll get a complete list of all the contributors to the thread - there are currently 629. Here's the current first 30 with their post counts:

User Name - Posts

ethereal_reality - 14,358
HossC - 4,090
GaylordWilshire - 3,617
CityBoyDoug - 2,868
tovangar2 - 2,619
Martin Pal - 2,190
BifRayRock - 1,366
MichaelRyerson - 1,139
odinthor - 1,118
Flyingwedge - 1,066
Tourmaline - 996
sopas ej - 836
Godzilla - 701
gsjansen - 681
Beaudry - 681
FredH - 676
Chuckaluck - 649
oldstuff - 623
Earl Boebert - 592
CaliNative - 566
BillinGlendaleCA - 508
Scott Charles - 481
ProphetM - 433
Lorendoc - 409
Noir_Noir - 406
Lwize - 398
Los Angeles Past - 387
Handsome Stranger - 380
Those Who Squirm! - 361
Bristolian - 348

(AlvaroLegido, you're 34th)

fullpower Jun 2, 2022 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinW (Post 8937108)
Here's one of my favorites. For years I've driven up Washington Blvd through Culver City and at 8641
there's a restaurant named El Baron Nightclub and Restaurant that I guess has been recently rebranded Club Tropical.
It has a really cool tower and looked quite old.

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/Pqw2P.../112/image.jpg
loopnet.com

and after doing a little research, discovered it is quite old and started life as the Ham Tree Inn.

http://www.culvercityhistoricalsocie...e-1024x676.jpg
culvercity historical society

I loved this piece by Julie Lugo Cerra from the culver city historical society:

In July, an inquiry came in from a woman afar looking for information about a 1920s restaurant called “The Ham Tree Inn,” at 6139 Washington Boulevard. Her grandmother worked there as a waitress when it re-opened in the late 1920s. She had bits and pieces of information and a few photos including one that pictured the building with its “Ham Tree” in front. A second inquiry came in the same week from a long time Fay Avenue resident. Her mother also worked at “The Ham Tree Inn” and across the street at Chris’s Market.

Historic Sites Chair, Jeanne Conklin, went to work! She spread the word, and we used local directories, which provide listings by street address as well…but we did not have access to one for that period. There were other complications. Some street addresses changed over the years, just like Main Street carried numbers in the 7000s early on—only to become the 3000s in more recent times. No luck on the first address.

We used our ties with the city to check old files. People talked to people. Using the photo sent by the the woman, Jeanne and Tami Eskridge (another CCHistorical Society officer and super volunteer, who you have probably seen taking their morning walks Page 3 F15n waitressaround our fair city) headed east one day and kept searching. In the meantime, we learned it was near Fay Avenue across from Chris’s Market, which is still there. The answer was getting closer.

We cruised neighborhoods, and found a building on the 8000 block of Washington Boulevard at Fay. It looked SO familiar-for good reason. Ten years ago, our Culver City Historical Society celebrated its 25th year with a historic car rally that ended at that vintage Culver City night spot. Today, it has a different name, but THAT WAS IT!!! Needless to say, there were some rewarding ties formed between the inquirers and those who helped solve this mystery! And your society is the beneficiary of some added information and vintage photos.

http://www.culvercityhistoricalsocie...s-683x1024.jpg
culver city historical society

http://www.culvercityhistoricalsocie...u-1024x638.jpg

culver city historical society

I grew up a block from Helms bakery. Used to walk past El Baron to go to Chris' Market as a kid. Beacon Laundry was on the corner, now its a restaurant. in the 60s and 70s things got a little sketchy on Washington Blvd east of El Baron and Chris' Market. I remember there was liquor store and a bikini store and the Hare Krishna's had a warehouse east of El Baron down near Cattaraugus ave. good times

BDiH Jun 2, 2022 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 7503619)
As you can see, the job title of this Julius Shulman photoset calls the subject the "Huggine-Burton Building". I'm wondering if that should be the "Huggins-Burton Building". This is "Job 1529: Huggine-Burton Building, 1953". Try as I might, I can't read the name over CARROUSEL on the left, although, given the title, the second word could be "Burton".

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...1.jpg~original

Gene Burton's Carrousel, the ladies shop that sponsored Harriet Nelson's wardrobe on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.

Noir Lady Jun 3, 2022 1:48 AM

Bullock's Downtown

Thank you, Harrys for posting the picture of Bullock's downtown. My father worked at Bullock's for more than 40 years. It's wonderful to see the building when new.

RudyJK Jun 3, 2022 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9639651)

If you go to the Found City Photos index page and click on the number in the "Replies" column on the right of the NLA row, you'll get a complete list of all the contributors to the thread - there are currently 629. Here's the current first 30 with their post counts:

User Name - Posts

ethereal_reality - 14,358
HossC - 4,090
GaylordWilshire - 3,617
CityBoyDoug - 2,868
tovangar2 - 2,619
Martin Pal - 2,190
BifRayRock - 1,366
MichaelRyerson - 1,139
odinthor - 1,118
Flyingwedge - 1,066
Tourmaline - 996
sopas ej - 836
Godzilla - 701
gsjansen - 681
Beaudry - 681
FredH - 676
Chuckaluck - 649
oldstuff - 623
Earl Boebert - 592
CaliNative - 566
BillinGlendaleCA - 508
Scott Charles - 481
ProphetM - 433
Lorendoc - 409
Noir_Noir - 406
Lwize - 398
Los Angeles Past - 387
Handsome Stranger - 380
Those Who Squirm! - 361
Bristolian - 348

(AlvaroLegido, you're 34th)

I'm only at 33 replies(:() I wish I had more to contribute. Believe me, this thread is my all-time favorite, one that I visit at least twice a week as a relaxing antidote to life's daily woes. (Particularly enjoyable with a cup of Rooibos and an Ambien!)

I first visited LA in the mid 90's as an employee of Warner Brothers Retail division - the fabled (now defunct) WB Studio Stores that flourished for a decade or so. I was hooked on LA the moment I rented a car after our convention weekend shindig at the WB lot in Burbank for a couple of days, and toured the LA landmarks with a fellow voyeur. We did it all in a day or two, Hollyhock House, Griffith Observatory, Downtown LA, Rodeo Drive, UCLA, on and on... I won't mention what happened in the parking lot of Rose Tarlow in West Hollywood after a night at Rage (? - I think. But I hope a gorgeous Canadian remembers.)

The highlight of our touring days: our ride through the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. We saw a man on a bicycle paying homage to a particular headstone by one of the Park roadways. We kept a respectable distance and when he left, we inched closer. It was Mel Blanc's grave complete with Bugs Bunny stuffed toy! The voice that ostensibly led us to that great city from the deep south was saying 'Hello wascal!". Amazing. A real Twilight Zone moment.

I have appreciated all donors to this site, through whatever moods they have been in. I'm a deep believer in letting people speak their minds, through whatever emotions they are feeling at the time. Knowledge is in short supply, memory is shrouded in context, I love good stories about interesting places and people. And I have thick skin.

Martin Pal Jun 3, 2022 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9639474)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts (Post 9638729)
I miss NoirCityDame, who disappeared several years ago. She posted a lot of family photos showing LA life as it was lived in the era. Anybody know what became of her?

Yes, lots of great posts from NCD.

I wrote the following post once; June, 2019. No one responded with any thoughts on this idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8613926)
NoirCityDame, who used to post on NLA, often used Decobelle on her photobucket photo links and looking up her photobucket account it is under the name Jill Graham.
Do you suppose the J.H. Graham of the website is NoirCityDame? :shrug:

https://jhgraham.com/about-me/

Well, I could have found the answer to this three years ago! I guess I should just have looked up NoirCityDame's "Profile" on her NLA page. That gives the answer: J.H. Graham she is!

About Noircitydame
United States

Biography:
I'm a historian working in the historic preservation field. I also write detective mysteries set in old Los Angeles based on my own,
original research and trying to straighten out the dark & twisted threads of LA gangsterdom history.

John Maddox Roberts Jun 4, 2022 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9640528)

Well, I could have found the answer to this three years ago! I guess I should just have looked up NoirCityDame's "Profile" on her NLA page. That gives the answer: J.H. Graham she is!

About Noircitydame
United States

Biography:
I'm a historian working in the historic preservation field. I also write detective mysteries set in old Los Angeles based on my own,
original research and trying to straighten out the dark & twisted threads of LA gangsterdom history.

Good sleuthing, MP!

fullpower Jun 4, 2022 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9105409)
I make a better burger than that. Doesn't Tommy's use lettuce? Also need an onion slice, not just the diced. I like the red pickle relish. Can't find it in the stores. Bob's Big Boy also used a red relish. The Apple Pan in Westwood is supposed to serve a great burger. Never tried it. The In n Out burgers are quite good. Simple, fresh ingredients. Crisp lettuce etc. The Big Mac seems mushy to me.
____
What is the best deli in L.A.? Some say Langer's, others Canter's. Also, where can you get the best gyro? 8 times out of 10 I'd choose a good gyro pita over a burger if I had the choice, but a good gyro place is hard to find. L.A. needs more Greeks and Turks. Maybe Armenians also serve gyros. Not sure.

Best Burger in LA is Marty's Burger, Home of the Combo on Pico near Prosser.

Martin Pal Jun 4, 2022 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts (Post 9641082)
Good sleuthing, MP!

Took me long enough!

ethereal_reality Jun 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Mystery location.

I'm pretty sure this eBay photograph was taken by the same photographer that took the recently solved DEE mystery photo.

"Orig c.1950 Los Angeles, Bus Depot? LA CA California 2.5" Photo Negative"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/II7wYI.jpg
eBay

A little help please. :whip:

HenryHuntington Jun 5, 2022 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9641288)
Mystery location.

I'm pretty sure this eBay photograph was taken by the same photographer that took the recently solved DEE mystery photo.

"Orig c.1950 Los Angeles, Bus Depot? LA CA California 2.5" Photo Negative"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/II7wYI.jpg
eBay

A little help please. :whip:

You rang?

The photograph looks NE from Soto St. near Wabash Ave. across the Ramona Fwy. and the PE right-of-way and its Macy St. repair shop toward General Hospital. The pedestrian bridge that arches across Ramona Fwy. extended from the foot of Pomeroy Ave. to reach the former PE passenger stop across the tracks.

The repair shop appears to be closed, and PE busses - built by GM and painted in the "teardrop" livery - being parked alone in the yard date this photo to c.1952.

CaliNative Jun 5, 2022 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9641328)

When was the current big General Hospital building built, the one almost 20 stories tall? Wasn't it built before this photo was taken (ca. 1952)? If so, is it out of the picture view in this photo? I wonder what the multifloor buildings are in the distance, maybe 5 or 6 stories tall? Could they be the older General Hospital that predate the current taller one and surrounding complex?

If I ever make it back to CSULA one day to look the campus over, I'm going to GorofaIo's for one more pizza and beer. Is the place still open? If so, popular with students and still good? It wasn't much to look at, but the pizza was good. Hope it is still there.

HossC Jun 5, 2022 9:49 AM

I'm going to disagree with HenryHuntington, and say that the photographer was actually about 3/4 mile west of Pomeroy Avenue on Enchandia Street, just northeast of Prospect Park. The main image below shows the line-of-sight on a 1952 aerial, while the inset shows a clearer view of the bridge and the house on the corner in 1941. The taller buildings just right of center in the middle distance were near the LA Coroner's Office at Mission and Marengo. The hospital would've been just out of shot to the right.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...chandiaSt1.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

MichaelRyerson Jun 5, 2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9641442)

I'm going to disagree with HenryHuntington, and say that the photographer was actually about 3/4 mile west of Pomeroy Avenue on Enchandia Street, just northeast of Prospect Park. The main image below shows the line-of-sight on a 1952 aerial, while the inset shows a clearer view of the bridge and the house on the corner in 1941. The taller buildings just right of center in the middle distance were near the LA Coroner's Office at Mission and Marengo. The hospital would've been just out of shot to the right.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...chandiaSt1.jpg
mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

In your large aerial, the two lonely busses parked south of the main buildings appear in essentially the same place as the eBay image. While the facility appears to have a profusion of busses parked north of the buildings. Remarkable coincidence. (Or long term derelict busses)

CaliNative Jun 5, 2022 6:40 PM

This has been discussed be4 I'm sure, but does anybody remember "Drysdale's Dugout" in Van Nuys on Oxnard St.? I was a kid when he built it in the early or mid 1960s, but I knew adults who went there at the time. It was a small place, probably just a bar at first, later an added dining area They said Don was often there in the first few years to greet people. I was a Drysdale fan at the time. Don was a very good pitcher, not as overpowering as Koufax usually, but he made the Hall of Fame. He set the scoreless innings record that lasted for many years. He was big and intimidating on the mound, not afraid to throw brush back pitches. Also a good hitter that usually hit a few home runs each year. He grew up in Van Nuys and went to VNHS. He and Koufax held out for bigger paychecks in 1966, finally getting the Dodgers to pay them over $100k, A big sum at the time before the reserve clause ended. I'm sorry I was just a kid and never got to share a drink with big Don and tell him what a fan I was. Any noirishers actually go there or remember it, or meet Don? He died quite young of a heart attack.