SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Naming US metropolitan areas (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242745)

iheartthed Jun 2, 2020 12:40 AM

Newark is almost like another borough of New York City.

JAYNYC Jun 2, 2020 8:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 8938438)
To an outsider that difference might be indistinguishable, but to someone from the bay area it would be like saying Newark and Manhattan are "basically the same thing" (and let me tell you, as a born and raised Californian NY and NJ seem pretty much the same to me)

Thanks for the lengthy tutorial and analogy, but I lived in the Bay Area for four years and am far from an "outsider".

Your perspective is what it is, and mine is mine. So be it.

JAYNYC Jun 2, 2020 8:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinpeaks (Post 8938462)
Growing up in San Francisco Bay Area, San Jose has always felt and looked like a suburb.

That's because it is.

Quote:

It was never referred to or considered a city.

I'm okay with "suburb", "suburban city" or "large town". And I stand by this having visited and stayed in both San Jose and Santa Clara twice within this year.

Quote:

Oakland is actually more of a city than San Jose.

Fact.

Quote:

When going out to hangout or party with friends, we would meet somewhere in The City (SF) or in Downtown Oakland. But if we decide to go out in San Jose, we would go to the mall - Valley Fair/Santana Row.

This ^ is 100% on par with my Bay Area experience with regards to each of the three places you mentioned.

JAYNYC Jun 2, 2020 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8938654)
That has nothing to do with the quality of SJ's downtown, though. The best urban neighborhoods worldwide don't have particularly tall buildings. Even in Manhattan, the best, most vibrant neighborhoods tend to be midrise.

SJ has a weak downtown because's it's essentially a giant postwar Sunbelt suburb, and the SV corporate behemoths are located elsewhere. If Facebook, Apple and Google were downtown, yeah, things would be more vibrant.

Downtown SJ is essentially an overgrown office park. New Haven, CT is arguably more urban.

JAYNYC Jun 2, 2020 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8938665)
So what? Cities are not static. It might have sprung up because of nearby SF and served as an exurb for decades but it is evolving into something different and a city in its own right.

Same could be said for Bellevue, WA, Plano, TX, Tysons Corner, VA and many other large suburbs (like San Jose). Your point?

JManc Jun 2, 2020 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYNYC (Post 8939763)
Same could be said for Bellevue, WA, Plano, TX, Tysons Corner, VA and many other large suburbs (like San Jose). Your point?

My point was pretty clear.

Dariusb Jun 2, 2020 6:08 PM

I have a question about Mesa. I know it's a very large suburb with nearly 500,000 people but could it be a stand alone city or is it totally dependent on Phoenix?

Buckeye Native 001 Jun 2, 2020 6:52 PM

Totally dependent on Phoenix. If not for the sprawl in the East Valley, it wouldn't be what it is today.

mhays Jun 2, 2020 7:06 PM

Population size means they annexed a lot of land. It has nothing to do with its role as a center or not.

SJ's core is a secondary SF-area center like Oakland's core. That would be true even if there was no incorporated City of SJ.

Dariusb Jun 2, 2020 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8940216)
Population size means they annexed a lot of land. It has nothing to do with its role as a center or not.

SJ's core is a secondary SF-area center like Oakland's core. That would be true even if there was no incorporated City of SJ.

I've heard someone say that San Francisco and Oakland feed off of each other and operate like siblings and San Jose is more like a cousin. Would you agree with that analogy?

Steely Dan Jun 3, 2020 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8939390)
Newark is almost like another borough of New York City.

So if Hudson County is the de facto 6th borough, would that make Newark the 7th?

;)

ThePhun1 Jun 3, 2020 3:06 AM

I thought Yonkers was the 6th borough? ;) I digress.

jd3189 Jun 3, 2020 3:13 AM

Nah, it’s Philly or Miami. NYC has a lot extra boroughs. The transplants establish boroughs wherever they migrate to :D

mrnyc Jun 3, 2020 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 8939240)
Agreed on all points. The Stanfords moved from Sacramento to a mansion on San Francisco's Nob Hill; when their son died young, they founded Stanford in his memory on land they purchased south of SF; the land was called (and sometimes still is) "the farm," which they also used as a weekend home; and the role Stanford played in creating today's Silicon Valley was important, but there were other critical players, without which the area wouldn't be what it is today.

on the last point, read ‘when wizards stay up late,’ by hafner & lyon for more on the topic. its a wonderful, breezy, can’t put it down history of computing. highest recommendation. :tup:

mrnyc Jun 3, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8940716)
So if Hudson County is the de facto 6th borough, would that make Newark the 7th?

;)

no, the 7th is broward.

iheartthed Jun 3, 2020 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8940716)

;)

Pretty much. NYC + Hudson County + Newark/Elizabeth probably covers 90% of the contiguous urban core of the New York region. If you add the eastern parts of Passaic County (Paterson, Passaic, etc.), which looks almost indistinguishable from Brooklyn and Queens, you might get to 95%. But unlike Hudson County and Newark/Elizabeth, Passaic isn't connected to NYC by a subway.

roddyricchthagod Jun 3, 2020 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYNYC (Post 8939754)
Thanks for the lengthy tutorial and analogy, but I lived in the Bay Area for four years and am far from an "outsider".

Your perspective is what it is, and mine is mine. So be it.

I've lived here my whole life and I consider anyone who stayed here for only four years to still be an outsider.

JAYNYC Jun 3, 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8940764)
Nah, it’s Philly or Miami. NYC has a lot extra boroughs. The transplants establish boroughs wherever they migrate to :D

+ LA
+ Charlotte
+ Atlanta
+ Austin

JAYNYC Jun 3, 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roddyricchthagod (Post 8941190)
I've lived here my whole life and I consider anyone who stayed here for only four years to still be an outsider.

OK, good for you.

liat91 Jun 9, 2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8937827)
San Jose is a satellite of San Francisco. Oakland is too, but SF and Oakland should probably be one city right now.

Agreed. Oakland and nearby areas would be what Brooklyn and Queens are to Manhattan.

If you combine SF, Oakland and nearby obvious add on’s, the population would be around 1.8 million people. In contrast, there are areas of San Jose that do not seem to tie in with central areas of the city, i.e.; Evergreen, Alamitos, Cambrian Park etc. San Jose would be closer to 600,000 people.

Same with NY, if you add Hudson county NJ, Newark and others you would have like 9.7 million people.