SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man Mar 17, 2020 11:39 AM

Oh, the curfew isn't law, good.

I think this whole thing has taught us all some valuable lessons:

1. We sure do rely on others.
2. Once this is all over we are going to be beyond grateful to be able to just go out to dinner, its gonna be nice for however long that feeling lasts.
3. Our economy is very fragile.
4. People are irrational and if something very bad every did happen, we would be screwed.
5. "Prepping" isn't insane. I always have about a months worth of TP, thank God.
6. In order to do cool shit, you need a lot of people. So next time I am somewhere crowded, I'll *try* to be happy about it.

hauntedheadnc Mar 17, 2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8864579)
Oh, the curfew isn't law, good.

I think this whole thing has taught us all some valuable lessons:

1. We sure do rely on others.

And right now, despite the fact that so many of us on here have high-powered, high-paying jobs, healthcare workers aside, we are now relying on people coming to work at grocery stores, gas stations, truck depots, the power plant, the water plant, and the sewage treatment plant. In regards to the supermarket, at least around here, most of those people are high school kids who are probably scared shitless, and who are there doing three or four times more business a day than they were ever used to before.

Which is to say, be nice. People who are very low on the totem pole indeed are the people who are keeping America limping along right now. Also, take a moment to consider the other essential work going on right now... and that the wispy little blond in the pink scrubs with kittens on them has bigger balls than you do when she clocks in for her shift at the hospital these days.

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8864598)

high school kids who are probably scared shitless

i dk about hs kids, but it seems a good percentage of 20-30 y.o.'s are quite the opposite. its like they think they are immune or something and don't seem to get it or care that they are spreading the disease.

of course there are some of the nutty old fox news fanatics that are the same.

:shrug:

those groups aside, everybody else seems to be taking it seriously and doing the right things tho, so that is heartening.

:tup:

10023 Mar 17, 2020 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8864608)
i dk about hs kids, but it seems a good percentage of 20-30 y.o.'s are quite the opposite. its like they think they are immune or something and don't seem to get it or care that they are spreading the disease.

of course there are some of the nutty old fox news fanatics that are the same.

:shrug:

those groups aside, everybody else seems to be taking it seriously and doing the right things tho, so that is heartening.

:tup:

It’s more like the idiot 60- and 70-somethings that I still see out walking around.

I’m not really worried about this coronavirus, and nor is the 20-something I just bought a coffee from or the 30-something friend I am meeting later. I will keep my distance from older people.

montréaliste Mar 17, 2020 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8864553)
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gret...190535259.html

This child obviously has significant mental health issues and it seems her self-therapy is to preach to the world about an issue that obsesses her.

Yes, there are certainly cracks in the veneer, but she nevertheless points to the crassness of our wasteful human world. She maybe obsessing over our planetary woes, but, hey, there is a certain orange tufted leader out there whose main obsession centers around his person, his image.

hauntedheadnc Mar 17, 2020 2:55 PM

The governor of North Carolina will issue an executive order this afternoon, to take effect at 5PM today, closing all bars and restaurants in the state to dine-in customers. They will still be able to do takeout and delivery service.

The chairs in my DSS's waiting room have all been spaced out at least six feet apart, with signs saying not to move them.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 17, 2020 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864486)
Quite an assumption what I had to say about how things will pan is not at all what the president has been saying.

The underlying factors of the economy are still very strong this is a singular event that will end once people know the path of the virus. Right now it’s just the Uknowns.

Nobody knows how demand will Be suppressed or how long these quarantines will be in effect. But once a clearer picture of the nest few months reveals itself you’ll see some rationality return to the markets and business activity.

Possibly, but unlikely. This will go on for a bare minimum of 2 months, most likely closer to 6. We are already, officially in a recession. By the time we slowly start to get to normal, many of our restaurants, retail spaces, Co working offices, etc will be bankrupt /out of business.

Its gonna be a slow recovery

sopas ej Mar 17, 2020 4:24 PM

I got a text yesterday saying that my haircut appointment for this coming Saturday was canceled. I totally understand the concern. I guess my barber felt bad about it and called me later in the evening. I told him it was totally OK. The funny thing is, over the weekend, I thought of canceling it anyway.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864756)
Possibly, but unlikely. This will go on for a bare minimum of 2 months, most likely closer to 6. We are already, officially in a recession. By the time we slowly start to get to normal, many of our restaurants, retail spaces, Co working offices, etc will be bankrupt /out of business.

Its gonna be a slow recovery

The US is not officially in recession but I would be shocked if we arent by 3rd quarter.

A recession is officially 2 consecutive quarters of - growth.

Of course global activity is about to approach as close to 0 as its gotten in the modern era so how much the quarter 2 GDP is going to shrink ...I do not know

But why are you acting like nothing will be done to help small businesses. Companies for PR reasons are suspending payments and due dates left and right, utilities are not going to shut down service for lack of payment, loan interest is being waved. Today Congress is debating tax rebates, business loans and direct cash payouts to the public.

Dozens of companies have pledged to pay employees through the shut downs and those that dont have access to unemployment insurance.

I understand your concern but its not like bankruptcy court is open, its not like the mortgage department is fully efficient at the moment. There arent mobs of men running around trying to foreclose on you at the first missed payment ushered by post-apocalyptic fat cats on Mad-Max mobiles.

Its not going to be as dire as you seem to imagine.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 17, 2020 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864779)
The US is not officially in recession but I would be shocked if we arent by 3rd quarter.

A recession is officially 2 consecutive quarters of - growth.

Of course global activity is about to approach as close to 0 as its gotten in the modern era so how much the quarter 2 GDP is going to shrink ...I do not know

But why are you acting like nothing will be done to help small businesses. Companies for PR reasons are suspending payments and due dates left and right, utilities are not going to shut down service for lack of payment, loan interest is being waved. Today Congress is debating tax rebates, business loans and direct cash payouts to the public.

Dozens of companies have pledged to pay employees through the shut downs and those that dont have access to unemployment insurance.

I understand your concern but its not like bankruptcy court is open, its not like the mortgage department is fully efficient at the moment. There arent mobs of men running around trying to foreclose on you at the first missed payment ushered by post-apocalyptic fat cats on Mad-Max mobiles.

Its not going to be as dire as you seem to imagine.

Everyone is on very thin margins.. These steps will help but many will be screwed regardless. You're being way too optimistic and im saying this as an optimist myself. This is going to go on for months

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864792)
Everyone is on very thin margins.. These steps will help but many will be screwed regardless. You're being way too optimistic and im saying this as an optimist myself. This is going to go on for months

Im not an optimist. I have been waiting for a post apocalypse hellscape where I can ride out heavily armed in ill fitting BDSM gear and football pads since I was a child.

This virus NOT ending the world is the most disappointing thing that has ever happened to me.

I WANT it to end the world. But unfortunately that just isn't happening. :(

thoughtcriminal Mar 17, 2020 4:52 PM

Boston shutting down all construction.
https://www.constructiondive.com/new...uction/574294/

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 17, 2020 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8864675)
The governor of North Carolina will issue an executive order this afternoon, to take effect at 5PM today, closing all bars and restaurants in the state to dine-in customers. They will still be able to do takeout and delivery service.

The chairs in my DSS's waiting room have all been spaced out at least six feet apart, with signs saying not to move them.

Flagstaff, AZ is shuttering down everything beginning at 8pm tonight MST to try and get ahead of this. No word yet on what the State of Arizona will decide.

Presidential preference primary is today and as far as I know, polls are still open. If this doesn't result in a mandate for statewide (hell, even better if it becomes nationwide...) vote by mail, I don't know what will be.

I work for the criminal court, they're telling us to work from home as much as possible and to minimize contact with our probationers. I'm expecting more actions to be taken by the courts to slow everything to a standstill in the upcoming days.

We're going to need a massive influx of cash (bailouts? stimulus?) when this is all over. We have a large state university but that's basically on lockdown. My county/city in particular is extremely tourism-dependent (we've got one of the biggest goddamn holes in the country in our backyard)

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8864809)
Flagstaff, AZ is shuttering down everything beginning at 8pm tonight MST to try and get ahead of this. No word yet on what the State of Arizona will decide.

Presidential preference primary is today and as far as I know, polls are still open.

I work for the criminal court, they're telling us to work from home as much as possible and to minimize contact with our probationers. I'm expecting more actions to be taken by the courts to slow everything to a standstill in the upcoming days.

We're going to need a massive influx of cash (bailouts? stimulus?) when this is all over. We have a large state university but that's basically on lockdown. My county/city in particular is extremely tourism-dependent (we've got one of the biggest goddamn holes in the country in our backyard)

There are as of now still only 18 cases in the state.

hauntedheadnc Mar 17, 2020 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8864809)

I've had to reschedule all of my monthly contacts, with two sets of parents of two foster kids each saying they were okay with doing a contact like normal. One other set though... No, for very good reasons. What I'll literally have to do is drive into their yard and have the kid the come to the door and wave, and then we'll talk on the phone.

Quote:

Yeah... tourist town here as well, and no one is touring. No one's going to be touring for a while either. Unsurprisingly though, our first confirmed case was from a tourist.

sopas ej Mar 17, 2020 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864811)
There are as of now still only 18 cases in the state.

... that are known about.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8864826)
... that are known about.

That goes without saying.

There is enough voluntary closure going on to be effective at this point Flagstaff is simply hurting itself by going under lock down without a single case.

Whatever snowbowl should be empty despite getting three feet this last 10 days.

I think Ill go enjoy it.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 17, 2020 5:11 PM

Flagstaff is trying to minimize the spread of the disease because even though we have a level one trauma center, it only has about 15 ventilators and one or two isolation rooms. In a town of 70,000 that draws in people with medical needs within a 100 mile radius (including one of the largest Native American reservations in the country), that's concerning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8864817)
I've had to reschedule all of my monthly contacts, with two sets of parents of two foster kids each saying they were okay with doing a contact like normal. One other set though... No, for very good reasons. What I'll literally have to do is drive into their yard and have the kid the come to the door and wave, and then we'll talk on the phone.

Yeah... tourist town here as well, and no one is touring. No one's going to be touring for a while either. Unsurprisingly though, our first confirmed case was from a tourist.

I don't have a field-carrying caseload right now, but our directive was to not go into our clients' houses for the time being and have them meet us at the front door. We're also discouraged from using portable breath tests and in-office urinalyses unless absolutely necessary. I wore gloves yesterday while doing an intake because I needed to collect a DNA saliva sample from a new client.

montréaliste Mar 17, 2020 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864792)

I think that companies in certain sectors, like airlines and hospitality are already definitely more acutely affected. Airlines are for the most part highly endebted, need cash flow to pay for salaries of a very large workforce and massive procurement, and new aircraft deliveries. There was news last friday that Bombardier's C series jets (now owned by Airbus) to Delta, are put on hold, because the company is running out of liquidities. Likewise, I heard on ABC news last night that Delta asked all employees who could consider early retirement to do so, in order to help the company stay afloat. In other words, some contracts will be broken and left to litigation later on.

I believe that developed states will help support certain corporate structures but must, of necessity support citizens first. There will be massive write-offs of the kind we are used to seeing, and further quantitivizing since that is the only thing that seems to help us clunker around until the next cycle.

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864834)
That goes without saying.

There is enough voluntary closure going on to be effective at this point Flagstaff is simply hurting itself by going under lock down without a single case.

Whatever snowbowl should be empty despite getting three feet this last 10 days.

I think Ill go enjoy it.

86% of people with coronavirus are walking around undetected, study says

By Jackie Salo March 17, 2020 | 10:15am

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-...ed-study-says/

:hell: