SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

montréaliste Mar 16, 2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar (Post 8864184)
The Governor of Pennsylvania pulled the plug on pretty much everything and Philadelphia's mayor closed down all non-essential businesses until March 27th.

My job at Drexel University is now in question as all on-campus residents must vacate by next week and reslife is my department.

We'll see what's up.

Phil-o-delphia though, is the city of brudderly love. It's gonna figure things out.

jtown,man Mar 16, 2020 11:57 PM

Could someone explain NJ has a curfew?

All I can think about is the fact that people will be FORCED to shop before 8pm. People like me like to shop late to avoid normal crowds.This law doesn't allow people to spread out their shopping. Sounds absolutely idiotic and reactionary. Am I missing something?

bossabreezes Mar 17, 2020 12:22 AM

The NJ curfew isn't mandatory, it's a suggestion by the governor.

Steely Dan Mar 17, 2020 1:03 AM

Well, day one of me and my wife both WFH while tending to our two young children who are also home from their now closed preschool is in the books.

If this shit really does go til August, I ain't gonna get shit done.

"Working a full time job" and "taking care of a 4 and 5 year old all day long" DO. NOT. MIX.

iheartthed Mar 17, 2020 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864059)
No, this is all overreaction to cover for the perceived lack of reaction.

These elected officials aren't destroying their economies for shits and giggles.

destroycreate Mar 17, 2020 1:14 AM

Exactly ^.

Guys, seriously wondering...if the majority of the country ends up being quarantined and cannot go to work for months...like, how the hell will people truly be able to afford all of their bills? No work, no pay. The majority of Americans cannot cover a $400 emergency. Most companies will not be generous and just continue our pay...they will eventually go broke as well.

America is no Sweden or Denmark historically, but do you think there will be a breaking point where the government will allow mortgages and rents to be waived? Otherwise I truly do see foresee riots, violence, and total pandemonium ensuing.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 17, 2020 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8864061)
To a growing extent we do have drive-through testing (and in the city, walk-in, because in SF lots of people don't have cars and there's a thread on Nextdoor of people b*tching about "drive-through" testing). It's beginning to happen and I think tests are effectively available to any who need them now. You may have to make a phone call or two to find out how to get one but it will quickly get easier.

As I just posted, the Bay Area is isolating people more severely than anywhere in the world except China, Korea included, has done. If LA hasn't done the same, call your mayor.

Testing is still no widely available. They keep on saying it will be but not yet.

SF has done the most for sure. LA is right behind and i suspect we will go into full lock down by tomorrow or wed at the latest

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 17, 2020 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864065)
You sound like you are in a panic.

I would recommend calming down.

I most definitely not in a panic. At all. Im just sick and tired of people dismissing this situation and parroting bs they have been told by uneducated people, ie our president

RCDC Mar 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8861366)
I am so annoyed that I didn’t plow cash into equities yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8861699)
All because of completely irrational panic fed by media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8859078)
And when does it become a buying opportunity?

And there you have it.

uaarkson Mar 17, 2020 2:05 AM

The following weeks will probably be marked by continuous historic jumps and crashes. The market is irrational and trying to predict it now is a fools game, at least until the virus is somewhat under control. Time in > timing

chris08876 Mar 17, 2020 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8864315)
Exactly ^.

Guys, seriously wondering...if the majority of the country ends up being quarantined and cannot go to work for months...like, how the hell will people truly be able to afford all of their bills? No work, no pay. The majority of Americans cannot cover a $400 emergency. Most companies will not be generous and just continue our pay...they will eventually go broke as well.

America is no Sweden or Denmark historically, but do you think there will be a breaking point where the government will allow mortgages and rents to be waived? Otherwise I truly do see foresee riots, violence, and total pandemonium ensuing.

They are going to have to. There has to be a point where its no longer about the money (for the sake of P/L statements), but the people. Money... is a false construct... its all bs when you get deep down into it.

But what is real are people. People are real. It can be waived. Otherwise, like you insinuated, it will result in chaos. The type of chaos we see in other places around the world (in the past, when the general population is in dire situations).

But right now, let's see how things turn out. Day-by-day, new developments.

Let's just hope the right steps are taken, and the right countermeasures to mitigate the damage on the American people, and not just some investors on Wall Street who will be able to eat, whereas many Americans can't afford an emergency.

The government might want to consider universal income should things go sour (just let's assume). If bailouts for companies are occurring or planned, I'm sure they could muster a bailout for the guys and gals of America.

sopas ej Mar 17, 2020 3:14 AM

Now all of Los Angeles County has announced the closure of dine-in restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and other entertainment venues.

From Eater Los Angeles:

LA County, the Nation’s Most Populous, Orders Closure of Restaurants and Bars

by Matthew Kang@mattatouille Mar 16, 2020, 1:34pm PDT

Today the nation’s most populated county, Los Angeles County, announced a sweeping closure of dine-in restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and other entertainment venues. (As in much of the country under similar orders, takeout and delivery are still allowed.) This order matches the one made by the City of Los Angeles, which announced closures for hospitality establishments late on March 15 in an effort to reduce interaction and curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

This means cities like Long Beach, West Hollywood, Culver City, Glendale, and Santa Monica, which are essentially surrounded by Los Angeles city limits and often have lesser known boundaries, would have to follow the larger county government directive. Whether a restaurant or bar is in Cerritos or Westlake Village, El Segundo or Santa Clarita — all establishments will have to cease dine-in services.

LA County, which has over 10 million residents in 88 incorporated cities and unincorporated areas outside of the City of Los Angeles, issued a directive that the entire county have one standard. Director of Public Health Barbara Ferrer said in a live broadcast that “there may be people infected everywhere in the county,” and to “minimize non-essential activities” as much as possible. As of March 16, there were 94 cases of COVID-19 in the county.

Previously, California Governor Gavin Newsom directed bars, wineries, and breweries to close across the state, and restaurants to reduce seating capacity by 50 percent and follow social distancing guidelines. The county guidelines will now exceed the state’s.

LA County’s closure mandate comes just after six San Francisco Bay Area counties, with populations totaling 6.7 million, ordered their residents to “shelter in place,” meaning people would be required to stay home except for “essential needs.”

“We are doing everything we can to avoid having to order entire communities to isolate,” LA County’s Ferrer said, but “nothing is off the table for anybody, anywhere in the United States at this point.”

New York City mayor Bill de Blasio announced that all bars and restaurants are required to shut down by March 17 at 9 a.m., with the exceptions for takeout and delivery. More than a half dozen states, including Illinois, Ohio, and Massachusetts have issued a lockdown of non-essential businesses over the last two days.

Source: https://la.eater.com/2020/3/16/21181...es-coronavirus

montréaliste Mar 17, 2020 3:38 AM

Let's just say that even if this zombie like script were to stop or dwindle next week, enough damage will have occurred to change the big picture for the long haul. This is like a precursory event to Greta Thunberg's prophetic calling.

A real wake up call to reexamine our globalized economy, industrial processes, transportationnof goods, wastefulness, overcapitalized corporations, undercapitalized social measures, etc...

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864333)
I most definitely not in a panic. At all. Im just sick and tired of people dismissing this situation and parroting bs they have been told by uneducated people, ie our president

Quite an assumption what I had to say about how things will pan is not at all what the president has been saying.

The underlying factors of the economy are still very strong this is a singular event that will end once people know the path of the virus. Right now it’s just the Uknowns.

Nobody knows how demand will Be suppressed or how long these quarantines will be in effect. But once a clearer picture of the nest few months reveals itself you’ll see some rationality return to the markets and business activity.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8864443)
Let's just say that even if this zombie like script were to stop or dwindle next week, enough damage will have occurred to change the big picture for the long haul. This is like a precursory event to Greta Thunberg's prophetic calling.

A real wake up call to reexamine our globalized economy, industrial processes, transportationnof goods, wastefulness, overcapitalized corporations, undercapitalized social measures, etc...

Well I think it’s quite obvious that this entire situation will lends itself to the already popular stances of anti-Globalism and nativism across the western world.

These were already growing and powerful movements and this will only encourage more of it. For both eminently practical reasons companies will be reconsidering having so much supply chain tied up in China and your less savory opinions about other cultures and our openness to the world will also be stirred by this.

This will happen everywhere.

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 8:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8864315)
Exactly ^.

Mortgages waived? San Francisco has more or less done it.

Quote:

San Francisco Mayor Declares Moratorium on Coronavirus-Related Evictions
By Bay City News • Published March 13, 2020 • Updated on March 13, 2020 at 9:11 pm

SAN FRANCISCO, CA
San Francisco Mayor London Breed issued a city moratorium on housing evictions effective immediately Friday as a response to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The moratorium will prevent any resident from being evicted due to a loss of income related to a business closure, loss of working hours or wages, layoffs, or out-of-pocket medical costs caused by the pandemic.

The mayor issued the executive order under the authority of the local emergency she declared on Feb. 25. The order will last for 30 days and may be extended depending on the health crisis conditions.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...tions/2254382/

You are indeed right we are not Sweden or Denmark. We have a $15/hr minimum wage in SF and I think I recall the whole state soon will.

Quote:

5 Developed Countries without Minimum Wages
By CLAIRE BOYTE-WHITE
Updated Aug 5, 2015

Five developed nations that have no legal minimum wage are Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.
https://www.investopedia.com/article...imum-wages.asp

But for the unemployed--getting no wage during the coronavirus epidemic--there is unemployment insurance which is being expedited and the standard benefits augmented by the second stimulus bill which passed the House (I'm not sure of the details right now), and I am pretty certain there will be additional benefits in a third stimulus bill everyone expects Congress to pass.

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8864443)
This is like a precursory event to Greta Thunberg's prophetic calling.

Quote:

Greta Thunberg's mother speaks out on daughter's autism and past eating disorder: 'She was slowly disappearing'
Yahoo Lifestyle Megan JohnsonYahoo LifestyleFebruary 23, 2020

In the family’s new book, Our House is on Fire: Scenes of a Family and a Planet in Crisis, the Swedish environmental activist’s mother, Swedish opera singer Malena Ernman, details everything from her daughter’s autism and eating disorder to panic attacks and bullying at school, the Observer reports.

“She was slowly disappearing into some kind of darkness,” Ernman says. “She stopped playing the piano. She stopped laughing. She stopped talking. And she stopped eating.”

Rapidly losing weight and only eating small amounts of rice, avocado and gnocchi, Thunberg had lost over 20 pounds from her small frame, and could no longer climb stairs . . . .

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gret...190535259.html

This child obviously has significant mental health issues and it seems her self-therapy is to preach to the world about an issue that obsesses her.

dc_denizen Mar 17, 2020 8:55 AM

Her parents are sickening

10023 Mar 17, 2020 9:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8864181)
Buy a Peleton. That's what they said to do on CNBC where all the other financier types hang.

I can run for cardio. No upper body workout.

10023 Mar 17, 2020 9:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864332)
Testing is still no widely available. They keep on saying it will be but not yet.

SF has done the most for sure. LA is right behind and i suspect we will go into full lock down by tomorrow or wed at the latest

Two rapid PCR test kits have just been approved, one from Roche and one from Thermo Fisher. FDA took less than 24 hours to approve in both instances, but they needed to be developed first. Expect those to be cranked out from now.