SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

spoonman Mar 31, 2016 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7390421)
Welcome! What part of town are you moving to?

There is a lot going on, not nearly as much as San Diego has seen, but a big ball seems to be rolling here.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm moving the the far reaches of Peoria. I'll be working from home, so I don't have to worry about traffic or wasting gas. As with most people on SSP, I'm more of a city person, but the burbs make sense for us right now with our infant daughter. I'll probably be spending my weekends in central PHX. :tup:

PHX31 Mar 31, 2016 9:52 PM

/\Nothing wrong with that location. I'm pretty familiar with it and know a couple people that live in Westwing Mountain. I'm headed up that way (far northwest part of Phoenix) with my infant son at some point in the near future from Central Phoenix.

spoonman Mar 31, 2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7390512)
/\Nothing wrong with that location. I'm pretty familiar with it and know a couple people that live in Westwing Mountain. I'm headed up that way (far northwest part of Phoenix) with my infant son at some point in the near future from Central Phoenix.

Definitely a nice area. The amenities are hard to beat with kids...pools, playgrounds, trails, good schools, etc, etc.

Based on what I have heard in this area (Vistancia), it sounds like there are plans for some mid-rises along the 303. That would be a nice addition for the area.

Classical in Phoenix Mar 31, 2016 10:54 PM

Welcome spoonman. All we ask is that you change all your sports loyalties to local teams, no matter how bad the local teams are!

spoonman Mar 31, 2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 7390586)
Welcome spoonman. All we ask is that you change all your sports loyalties to local teams, no matter how bad the local teams are!

Not a problem. Looking forward to watching the Cards and Coyotes :cheers:

biggus diggus Apr 1, 2016 12:53 AM

Vistancia, wow that really is the far reaches of the valley. I've played golf out there a few times, it's about an hour from downtown but it would be a beautiful place to get some peace and quiet and raise your kids.

exit2lef Apr 1, 2016 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7390530)
Definitely a nice area. The amenities are hard to beat with kids...pools, playgrounds, trails, good schools, etc, etc.

Based on what I have heard in this area (Vistancia), it sounds like there are plans for some mid-rises along the 303. That would be a nice addition for the area.

Not trying to change your mind about where to live, but for the benefit of anyone else considering moving here, most of those amenities are available in Central Phoenix, along with proximity to kid-centric attractions like the Children's Museum, Valley Youth Theater, Great Arizona Puppet Theater, and the Arizona Science Center. I hope you can take the time to give your children (and yourself) a little urban exposure at places like that.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of mid-rises along the 303. If those come to pass, that outer loop freeway may then act as a facilitator of job sprawl, which is usually a negative because it induces inefficient suburb-to-suburb commutes. A better option for Peoria would be commuter rail to Downtown Phoenix.

HX_Guy Apr 1, 2016 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7390530)

I'm not too far from there, actually on the way to there in Tierra Del Rio. Welcome!

SunDevil Apr 3, 2016 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7390880)
Not trying to change your mind about where to live, but for the benefit of anyone else considering moving here, most of those amenities are available in Central Phoenix, along with proximity to kid-centric attractions like the Children's Museum, Valley Youth Theater, Great Arizona Puppet Theater, and the Arizona Science Center. I hope you can take the time to give your children (and yourself) a little urban exposure at places like that.

I'm not thrilled about the prospect of mid-rises along the 303. If those come to pass, that outer loop freeway may then act as a facilitator of job sprawl, which is usually a negative because it induces inefficient suburb-to-suburb commutes. A better option for Peoria would be commuter rail to Downtown Phoenix.

Should probably include Encanto Park, especially considering kids.

exit2lef Apr 5, 2016 9:31 PM

Talk of a grocery store at Block 23:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-planned.html

PHXFlyer11 Apr 5, 2016 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7396124)
Talk of a grocery store at Block 23:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...r-planned.html

Interesting it says more details could be released later today...

I think this is going to be pretty underwhelming, but I'm hopeful. I think the primary component will be residential.

I don't know if there is enough residential in the immediate area to support a full blown Fry's. For example, if I lived in Roosevelt I'd probably go to the Safeway on McDowell. Maybe this could spark an increase in retail development for southern downtown and the warehouse district. Would be great to see Barrister and Ballpark Apartments finally get going... Maybe we could see additional mid or high-rises proposed with the grocery store and additional retail.

PHXFlyer11 Apr 5, 2016 9:45 PM

Well, according to azCentral, RED and the City of Phoenix have "announced" this: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...cape/82653836/

No details on the actual development other than it will have offices and apartments.

dtnphx Apr 5, 2016 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7396140)
Well, according to azCentral, RED and the City of Phoenix have "announced" this: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...cape/82653836/

No details on the actual development other than it will have offices and apartments.

This is a better take on the story. Office and residential and the Fry's would be about 55,000 SF. That's pretty big.

Fry's grocery store could come to downtown Phoenix near CityScape

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...cape/82653836/

HooverDam Apr 5, 2016 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7396135)
Interesting it says more details could be released later today...

I think this is going to be pretty underwhelming, but I'm hopeful. I think the primary component will be residential.

I don't know if there is enough residential in the immediate area to support a full blown Fry's. For example, if I lived in Roosevelt I'd probably go to the Safeway on McDowell. Maybe this could spark an increase in retail development for southern downtown and the warehouse district. Would be great to see Barrister and Ballpark Apartments finally get going... Maybe we could see additional mid or high-rises proposed with the grocery store and additional retail.

Extremely exciting news. Lets hope we get some new towers out of this and it's not some stumpy suburban plan.

If it's anything half way good I'll shift all my grocery shopping from the Safeway on 7th St to this Fry's as Fry's is cheaper anyhow and I want to support a downtown grocer.

pbenjamin Apr 5, 2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 7396149)
This is a better take on the story. Office and residential and the Fry's would be about 55,000 SF. That's pretty big.

Yes, the King Soopers that Kroger built in downtown Denver is on 46,475.

dtnphx Apr 5, 2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 7396181)
Yes, the King Soopers that Kroger built in downtown Denver is on 46,475.

I looked up the King Soopers in Denver and lord let's hope it's not in this kind of a suburban building going up all over town. I doubt it since the land is too valuable, but...

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...s-open-finally

PHX31 Apr 5, 2016 10:26 PM

I'm envisioning a mixed use (office, residential, grocer) tower slightly taller than the existing Cityscape office tower. If that's the case, half of the lot will remain parking.

Or, we'll get two stumpy buildings that take up the entire block which would be an immense waste.

PhxMatt Apr 6, 2016 12:24 AM

It's interesting the timing of this release, if you look at the Red Development website there is a project that was announced a couple of days ago in Dallas called Union. It has a 14 story office tower, a 20 story apartment building and a large retail component that looks to house a grocery store. This may be a preview of what a new downtown Phoenix project could be modeled after, purely speculation of course. Depending on the demand for new office space in Downtown the tower heights would obviously vary.

I actually posted about this several months ago, my company was asked to look at the infrastructure needed to support more density in the area. I will check with our liaison when I get a chance and see if there are more details. I imagine there won't be much more shown until there has been a fairly large office tenant secured.

biggus diggus Apr 6, 2016 12:50 AM

I have a few friends employed by RED who have been alluding to this for a couple of years, I've mostly brushed them off, it just seems like such a silly location.

KevininPhx Apr 6, 2016 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7396386)
I have a few friends employed by RED who have been alluding to this for a couple of years, I've mostly brushed them off, it just seems like such a silly location.

I don't follow. Why is it a silly location?