SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Leo the Dog Sep 21, 2013 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 6274235)
It was built in the 80's and 90's. For some reason everyone wanted strip malls :???:

I will literally never understand.

Convenience. Ahwatukee is a large suburban geographical area. Only made sense to cater to the personal automobile. I don't ever see this dynamic changing in these areas.

If Phoenix didn't build the large shopping plazas then Chandler and Tempe would and Phoenix would have its residents drive across the 10 to spend their money which the competing suburbs would reap the benefits.

When I lived in Ahwatukee (and W. chandler and Tempe) I actually liked going to Ahwatukee 24, Target, Seattle Espresso, etc..for convenient shopping/dining/entertainment. Good location and easy access being adjacent to the 10/202 connection.

Good news on the recent development.

downtownslcresident Sep 22, 2013 2:56 PM

Hello friends! I am new to this forum. I currently live in SLC but am being promoted with work and transferred to Phoenix next month! Very excited to move into Arizona as I have been trying to get to Phoenix for years, just haven't really had a great opportunity.

That said, I was hoping you guys could kind of catch me up some of the cool things happening in Phoenix. In especially interested in transit developments, high rises In the downtown areas, and other kinda of major developments along those lines.

What things are happening currently or in the works that people are really excited about? I know in salt lake, we have just finished up a massiv light rail transit expansion that everyone has been very excited about, and are now introducing streetcars to the transit system in December which is another thing that people are very excited about. Anything like that going on in Phoenix?

Also, I know that people are very excited about developments in downtown salt lake like the upcoming new convention center hotel, and a new high rise that is going to be he new hoke of goldmann saks second largest office in the country. What kinds of things like that are happening in Phoenix? :-)

Also, I'm very interested to know if "The Phoenix Tower" or "The Pin" ever got off the ground?

azsunsurfer Sep 22, 2013 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownslcresident (Post 6275615)
Hello friends! I am new to this forum. I currently live in SLC but am being promoted with work and transferred to Phoenix next month! Very excited to move into Arizona as I have been trying to get to Phoenix for years, just haven't really had a great opportunity.

That said, I was hoping you guys could kind of catch me up some of the cool things happening in Phoenix. In especially interested in transit developments, high rises In the downtown areas, and other kinda of major developments along those lines.

What things are happening currently or in the works that people are really excited about? I know in salt lake, we have just finished up a massiv light rail transit expansion that everyone has been very excited about, and are now introducing streetcars to the transit system in December which is another thing that people are very excited about. Anything like that going on in Phoenix?

Also, I know that people are very excited about developments in downtown salt lake like the upcoming new convention center hotel, and a new high rise that is going to be he new hoke of goldmann saks second largest office in the country. What kinds of things like that are happening in Phoenix? :-)

Also, I'm very interested to know if "The Phoenix Tower" or "The Pin" ever got off the ground?

You know you can click on the numbers at the bottom of the page and scroll back for several months to get caught up.....

downtownslcresident Sep 22, 2013 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6275766)
You know you can click on the numbers at the bottom of the page and scroll back for several months to get caught up.....

Is everyone is Arizona this rude? Maybe I won't like it here afterall...or at least not enjoy participating in this thread.

I was hoping for a locals perspective. Going back several months is time consuming and also doesn't really give me a full idea of the real likelyhood of each project. I wanted to hear what's most important to you guys. But no worries...I'll just forget about it.

Great first impression, azsunsurfer. Way to make someone coming to your city feel welcome. That response would have never happened in a salt lake thread.

KEVINphx Sep 22, 2013 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownslcresident (Post 6275779)
Is everyone is Arizona this rude? Maybe I won't like it here afterall...or at least not enjoy participating in this thread.

I was hoping for a locals perspective. Going back several months is time consuming and also doesn't really give me a full idea of the real likelyhood of each project. I wanted to hear what's most important to you guys. But no worries...I'll just forget about it.

Great first impression, azsunsurfer. Way to make someone coming to your city feel welcome. That response would have never happened in a salt lake thread.

Unfortunately, Arizona DOES indeed have a lot of rude assholes like the response above - although, they are far outnumbered by the majority of folks who are quite friendly and outstanding!

I'd just start following along some of these threads though to get a sense of each separate project/topic regarding The Valley, as we call it :cheers:

azsunsurfer Sep 22, 2013 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEVINphx (Post 6275786)
Unfortunately, Arizona DOES indeed have a lot of rude assholes like the response above - although, they are far outnumbered by the majority of folks who are quite friendly and outstanding!

I'd just start following along some of these threads though to get a sense of each separate project/topic regarding The Valley, as we call it :cheers:

Kevin no need to be so hard on yourself. Anyway Utah person I would know since I was never formally welcomed to the forum -rude people propagate the confines of this site. If you're interested there is a new Mormon temple that was recently completed in Gilbert (a bit of a monstrosity if you ask me). I suppose that is more of your interest with regards to regional development.

azsunsurfer Sep 22, 2013 8:19 PM

In all seriousness downtownslcresident I welcome you to our great state. I wish you well with your job/ promotion and I think you will like it here.

Uawilly Sep 22, 2013 9:12 PM

Hey dude, welcome to Phoenix. I would say people here are a different kind of friendly. People generally don't honk at you on the road and they let you merge or change lanes with little issues (exact opposite of California). Also most people here will gladly give visitors directions or offer restaurant suggestions if asked. However, people tend to keep to themselves unless they are spoken to. In my experience I would say people in the Midwest are by far the friendliest and we are a notch below that but we are several notches higher than people than people on the east coast or California. While it probably sounds obvious, please don't judge the people of Phoenix by people in discussion forums. People tend to be a little by over passionate in these things.

Lastly your impression of Phoenix will vary quite a bit depending on where you live and where you go. My advice for you to get the whole Phoenix experience is try a different spot around town each time you go out. My suggestions would be, Mill Ave (next to ASU), Old Town (downtown Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix, Midtown area of Phoenix, Arcadia, Cave Creek/Carefree, and if you live in a suburb visit the closest mall area. A lot of the suburbs look alike so you don't have to waste much time at first visiting Glendale or Goodyear if you live in Chandler. Best of luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownslcresident (Post 6275779)

gymratmanaz Sep 22, 2013 11:04 PM

AND DowntownSLC - check out the theater scene here. Also, lots of cool and unique dining choices. Just about to the best weather ever......(JUST ABOUT...NOT YET) :)

Leo the Dog Sep 23, 2013 4:43 PM

You know, all you guys (azsunsurfer and dtphx) should be welcoming a new former and a new resident of Phoenix with open arms. A new enthusiastic former, who wants to learn about his new city and who will contribute to a dying thread is awesome.

Spitfiredude Sep 23, 2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownslcresident (Post 6275615)

Welcome to Arizona! Very friendly state. Driving is halfway decent here and the winters are beautiful. There is lots to do. Sports thrive here: major leagues of all sports, ASU if you enjoy college sports, and the spring training. Night life thrives here: Mill Ave & Old Town Scottsdale. There is a shopping center or mall practically every 2 miles. You can either live somewhat urban or completely suburban. Recreational opportunities are abundant (rivers, lakes, hiking, mountains, etc). Endless restaurants.. You are also centered in a great location. You have Tucson to the South (although I don't think anyone in Phoenix recommends you go there), Flagstaff 2 hours north (snow), Vegas 5 hours west, and of course you're closer to SD and LA.

In regards to development, there has been some low-rise and mid-rise planning throughout DT and MT Phoenix, but nothing very big as of the late. No real new word on the Pin. They've been tossing the idea around for about a year. Several mid-high rise developments (200-400') have sprung up, but typically not fallen through. There are many housing/apartment/condo developments springing up around downtown-midtown Phoenix, but nothing on a large scale. The transportation system has been vastly expanding. Light rail is currently adding about 5-7 miles onto the current 20 mile system, with many more miles planned through 2025. The Sky Train (connects light rail/airport) has recently opened and is impressive. Freeways are being built, Loop 303 (in the West Valley) and the SM Freeway (202 Extension) is on board to get built soon. As far as development goes, Tempe is at the center of new prime development for the Valley right now. These developments range upwards of 200'+ in size. Speaking of Tempe, visit the Town Lake at night (very beautiful). The zoo is a top 5 nationally here. Hole in the Rock is cool. Salt River. Four Peaks Brewing Company if you like beer. Mill Ave. Wet N Wild or Sunsplash. Tons of concerts. Science Museum. Theater shows. etc. Visit Harkins, very good hometown movie company. Quality service. Hopefully I got you caught up. Welcome!

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...=1#post6276985

ASUSunDevil Sep 23, 2013 11:56 PM

PHX Renews kicks off with aim to beautify vacant Central Phoenix lot

Moriah Costa
Phoenix Business Journal

Phoenix officials, community members and local businesses got to work Saturday to turn 15 acres of unused land in the heart of Central Phoenix into community gardens and art spaces.

The project, called PHX Renews, is located on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Indian School Road and is a project of the nonprofit Keep Phoenix Beautiful.

Over 40 percent of land in Phoenix is considered vacant, and Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton wants to fix that.

“We’re going to take something that right now is something of a negative and we’re flipping it around and turning it into a very positive thing in our community and we want to use it as an example,” he said.

The mayor hopes that other private companies follow the example of Barron Collier Co., which leased the land to the city for three years.

“You live in an area, a beautiful neighborhood right in the middle of the city, you shouldn’t have a vacant lot here,” he said.

The project was supported with a $40,000 grant from the Steele Foundation and a $100,000 grant from Wells Fargo.

nickw252 Sep 25, 2013 4:50 AM

Phoenix May Okay Downtown Tower in October

Quote:

In a landscape of littered iconic Arizona projects—mostly dusty plans for lavish theme parks—the proposed 420-foot pinwheel tower in Downtown Phoenix is moving forward. Novawest LLC and its Danish architecture firm, Bjark Ingels Group, say that the 39-story tourist attraction could be looking at an October hearing by the city (AZBEX, June 7; March 12).

The tower, proposed for a city-owned site next to the Arizona Science Center, was submitted as part of a request for proposal by Phoenix for a downtown project to bolster the skyline and downtown tourism. The progress is covered in Phoenix Business Journal premium coverage by senior reporter Mike Sunnucks.
http://azbex.com/phoenix-may-okay-do...er-in-october/

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...s-forward.html

NorthScottsdale Sep 25, 2013 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6277006)
Welcome to Arizona! Very friendly state. Night life thrives here: Mill Ave & Old Town Scottsdale.

A little more on the nightlife. Mill Ave is fun if you are a college student. Old Town Scottsdale is fun but can be pretty pretentious. I'd recommend going out in central/downtown Phoenix. Much more diversity, a lot of hipster/artsy places to drink, great restaurants, lots of gay bars, generally just a lot more fun. Stay in central phx :)

dtnphx Sep 25, 2013 7:26 PM

There's no doubt they're world-class architects. Google Bjark Ingels Group and look at some of their projects. Wowza.

AP11 Sep 25, 2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 6279485)
There's no doubt they're world-class architects. Google Bjark Ingels Group and look at some of their projects. Wowza.

Looks like they have added quite a few pics and diagrams regarding the project....let's see what happens.

http://www.big.dk/#projects-pho

MegaBass Sep 25, 2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6277006)
Welcome to Arizona! Very friendly state. Driving is halfway decent here and the winters are beautiful. There is lots to do. Sports thrive here: major leagues of all sports, ASU if you enjoy college sports, and the spring training. Night life thrives here: Mill Ave & Old Town Scottsdale. There is a shopping center or mall practically every 2 miles. You can either live somewhat urban or completely suburban. Recreational opportunities are abundant (rivers, lakes, hiking, mountains, etc). Endless restaurants.. You are also centered in a great location. You have Tucson to the South (although I don't think anyone in Phoenix recommends you go there), Flagstaff 2 hours north (snow), Vegas 5 hours west, and of course you're closer to SD and LA.

In regards to development, there has been some low-rise and mid-rise planning throughout DT and MT Phoenix, but nothing very big as of the late. No real new word on the Pin. They've been tossing the idea around for about a year. Several mid-high rise developments (200-400') have sprung up, but typically not fallen through. There are many housing/apartment/condo developments springing up around downtown-midtown Phoenix, but nothing on a large scale. The transportation system has been vastly expanding. Light rail is currently adding about 5-7 miles onto the current 20 mile system, with many more miles planned through 2025. The Sky Train (connects light rail/airport) has recently opened and is impressive. Freeways are being built, Loop 303 (in the West Valley) and the SM Freeway (202 Extension) is on board to get built soon. As far as development goes, Tempe is at the center of new prime development for the Valley right now. These developments range upwards of 200'+ in size. Speaking of Tempe, visit the Town Lake at night (very beautiful). The zoo is a top 5 nationally here. Hole in the Rock is cool. Salt River. Four Peaks Brewing Company if you like beer. Mill Ave. Wet N Wild or Sunsplash. Tons of concerts. Science Museum. Theater shows. etc. Visit Harkins, very good hometown movie company. Quality service. Hopefully I got you caught up. Welcome!

To add on Spitfiredude:

Bikeshare for Phoenix by this winter and will expand to Tempe and Mesa in 2012. Still awaiting which of the two routes will be chosen for Tempe Streetcar.

ASUSunDevil Sep 26, 2013 5:22 PM

Project Rising nonprofit urban infill accelerator hopes to renovate vacant lots and buildings

By Sophia Kunthara - Thursday, September 26th, 2013
Downtown Devil

Community members gathered Wednesday for the launch of Project Rising, a nonprofit urban infill accelerator that aims to speed up the activation of vacant lots in hopes of economically and environmentally benefiting downtown Phoenix while engaging the community. (Sophie Blaylock/DD)
As Phoenix continues to expand outward, a local nonprofit organization has taken the initiative to accelerate development of vacant lots downtown.

Over the next three years, Project Rising plans to renovate 34 vacant lots and buildings located between Missouri Avenue and Buckeye Road and 15th Avenue and 15th Street into mixed-use residential and commercial communities. The organization is focusing on vacant lots and buildings with the potential for hosting community-based activities or businesses.

Project Rising launched with a reception and presentation Wednesday at Dirtt Environmental Solutions. The organization’s office is in entrepreneurial incubator Seed Spot.

Ikoloji Sustainability Collaborative President Leslie Lindo is the organization’s executive director. According to a Wednesday press release, the initial board of directors consists of Matthew Meaker, Sacks Tierney P.A.; Phil Allsopp, Transpolis Global; Laine Seaton, nonprofit executive consultant; Jim McPherson, McPherson & Associates; Talonya Adams, Axis Law PLLC; John Glenn, CCBG Architects, Inc.; and Shannon Scutari, Scutari & Company.

Project Rising will start by identifying sites to be renovated. The organization will then seek community input to refine its goals.

The aim of the renovations is to promote walkability, sustainability and a hybrid of community and commerce in the core of Phoenix, Lindo said.

“We want to capitalize on the existing opportunities we have in Phoenix and set an example,” Lindo said. “We have these vibrant spaces, and it’s all about being able to invest dollars to be put into the community.”

In Phoenix, 43 percent of land is occupied by vacant lots, Lindo said, citing a 2000 study by the Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy in Washington, D.C.

Project Rising’s plans for development in downtown Phoenix are not entirely for economic reasons.

Environmental consciousness is a major priority, as well, Lindo said. She added that she hopes bringing more businesses and residential communities downtown will make walking, biking and riding the light rail more viable options.

“Most of our growth has been on the outskirts of the city, and that has a lot of negative impact environmentally and on the health and well-being of the people within our community,” Lindo said.

Project Rising hopes to promote community involvement by remaining open to suggestions on activation sites.

The project’s positive environmental impact has drawn the support of Harvey Smith of the Maricopa Workforce Connections’ division of sustainability and green energy.

Developing vacant lots and buildings will use fewer resources than starting from scratch and expanding outside of Phoenix. Urban infill is “a very cheap way of building” that is more practical than developing on Phoenix’s outskirts, Smith said.

This method of development will create jobs downtown, along with having positive environmental and social effects on the community, Smith said.

Project Rising’s plan to keep business at the center of Phoenix to create greater economic density has also earned the support of Colin Tetreault, senior policy adviser for sustainability to Mayor Greg Stanton.

The money people can save by walking, biking or riding the light rail to businesses developed via Project Rising can be put back into local businesses and boost the local economy, Tetreault said.

Project Rising’s goal is to eliminate the notion that developers negatively affect the community, Lindo said.

“Project Rising provides a solution to actually activate our vacant sites,” Lindo said. “We have a vision and foundations being laid, and Project Rising is the urban infill accelerator.”

Contact the reporter at pkunthar@asu.edu

Phxguy Oct 9, 2013 12:46 PM

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/10/09/...-use-building/

This is just what we need for that block of downtown, hopefully someone will come up with a design that's both mixed, dense, and to a height that's suitable. 20 floors anyone?

nickw252 Oct 9, 2013 2:08 PM

Does anyone know if the Hotel Monroe sale went through? The sale was supposed to close by mid-September.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all