SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

HK Chicago Jul 31, 2006 4:11 AM

I was surprised to see the CTA cars don't have unobstructed floors, and the NYC car photo is a perfect example of what I was thinking... easier to clean.

alex1 Aug 2, 2006 7:19 PM

nYc train cars are damn nice.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2006 8:44 PM

SSP IS SO DAMN SLOW LATELY!!!

Anyhow, for those of you interested in the Circle Line, I found a pretty nice, detailed pdf of the CTA's answers to a lot of public questions regarding this development. It is dated only 2 weeks ago, so it's pretty new

Here's the link:

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/w...ticleid=117176

Go to the bottom, and click 'Responses to public comment'

VivaLFuego Aug 4, 2006 2:35 PM

CTA Bus Tracker pilot is launching:
http://www.ctabustracker.com

The pilot program is just on the #20 Madison. Pretty sweet, eh?

spyguy Aug 4, 2006 3:22 PM

^That's pretty cool.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...l=chi-news-hed

U.S. Cellular move aids rivals
Emergency calls possible in subway

By Jon Van

Tribune staff reporter
Published August 4, 2006

U.S. Cellular paid a lot of money to enable its mobile phone subscribers to make calls from Chicago Transit Authority trains traveling in subway tunnels. But it turns out that customers of some other cell phone companies will get one of those benefits: making emergency calls.

The U.S. Cellular service, launching commercially Friday, will not only keep its customers connected in tunnels, it will also enable people with Verizon Wireless and Sprint phones to make emergency 911 calls because their operating systems are compatible with U.S. Cellular's.

Promoting the safety aspects of cell phone use was a major reason that U.S. Cellular paid $2.9 million to activate its service in Chicago's CTA subway tunnels, John Rooney, chief of the Chicago-based wireless phone carrier, said.

VivaLFuego Aug 4, 2006 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy
^That's pretty cool.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...l=chi-news-hed

U.S. Cellular move aids rivals
Emergency calls possible in subway

By Jon Van

Tribune staff reporter
Published August 4, 2006

U.S. Cellular paid a lot of money to enable its mobile phone subscribers to make calls from Chicago Transit Authority trains traveling in subway tunnels. But it turns out that customers of some other cell phone companies will get one of those benefits: making emergency calls.

The U.S. Cellular service, launching commercially Friday, will not only keep its customers connected in tunnels, it will also enable people with Verizon Wireless and Sprint phones to make emergency 911 calls because their operating systems are compatible with U.S. Cellular's.

Promoting the safety aspects of cell phone use was a major reason that U.S. Cellular paid $2.9 million to activate its service in Chicago's CTA subway tunnels, John Rooney, chief of the Chicago-based wireless phone carrier, said.

Makes sense, since all of those companies use CDMA (in contrast to Cingular and T-Mobile who use GSM). I wonder why Verizon and Sprint couldnt also make roaming calls from the subway.

Chicago Shawn Aug 5, 2006 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician
SSP IS SO DAMN SLOW LATELY!!!

Anyhow, for those of you interested in the Circle Line, I found a pretty nice, detailed pdf of the CTA's answers to a lot of public questions regarding this development. It is dated only 2 weeks ago, so it's pretty new

Here's the link:

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/w...ticleid=117176

Go to the bottom, and click 'Responses to public comment'

Cool, my comments were published. #136 on page 17, and #170 on page 20. :)

Chicago Shawn Aug 5, 2006 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshkeoto
I think I would only be for a newfangled design if it was just completely bizarre--like, if every car had an animal theme, so you'd get a train with elephant ears and a trunk, or a turtle shell, or something like that. We wouldn't have to replace all of our goold old cars, but I wouldn't mind hearing a ruckus and looking up and seeing a (stainless steel) elephant trunk.

All those other "forward-looking" designs in other cities just end up looking silly.

I had the idea that the CTA could offer a design comptition sponsered by designer stores to show off a funky yet functional train interoir. Such as having IKEA design the seating and interoir of a specific car, as a means of advertising for thier store, and getting a remodeled railcar on the system for free of charge. It would certinally spruce up the image of public transit for those who are addicted to the leather seats in thier SUVs.

Busy Bee Aug 5, 2006 2:38 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the discussion (and concern) about domestic railcar design/innovation isn't just happening on this board. I copied and pasted some comments from Wired NY about the new cars for PATH:

Quote:

Kawasaki Rail Car Inc. is designing the cars under a $499 million contract to build a new fleet...The entire fleet will be replaced by 2011.
Poster: Would it be too much to ask for a little glamour in the style?

Poster: Very sad to see that they spend $499 million to get exact same look as their current cars. I guess they can cut cost by not having to design the new one. Plus they can reuse parts (if not the whole trains themselves) for the new fleet. You see, the chains hanging in front of the front door are exactly the same.

Quote:

Very sad to see that they spend $499 million to get exact same look as their current cars.
Poster: So why did they even bother with an artist's rendering? They could have just taken a photo of an existing car.

It seems the CTA isn't the only agency subscribing to blah.

I agree about a competition for the interiors, it won't happen though. As they say "it's either too early to tell, or too late too change."

nomarandlee Aug 6, 2006 10:45 AM

Want to know exactly when next CTA bus is coming?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-bus06.html
[I]
News
Want to know exactly when next CTA bus is coming?

August 6, 2006

BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Staff Reporter

Waiting for the bus might get easier for some Chicago Transit Authority riders.

The CTA Saturday launched a $1.3 million pilot program that allows passengers with Internet access to track the real-time locations and estimated arrival times for the 39 buses that travel the No. 20 Madison route.

Riders logged onto the CTA's new Web site, www.ctabustracker.com, can also activate an alarm that will alert them when a bus on the 10-mile route is minutes away from a particular stop, helping them better plan their travel from their offices and minimize their wait, CTA President Frank Kruesi said.

Mayor Daley said the bus tracker system, which uses global positioning satellite technology, will "revolutionize" customer satisfaction.

"The innovative use of this technology will improve the CTA's reliability, make traveling around Chicago much more pleasant and of course, convenient for all of the residents," Daley said at a news conference at the CTA Control Center, 120 N. Racine.

Those without a computer or Blackberry-type device can see the estimated arrival times for the next two buses on an orange LED display installed at the westbound bus shelter at Madison and Jefferson.

But if the pilot program is successful, all on-site shelters in the system's 153 bus routes would eventually get the electronic signage within a few years, Kruesi said, adding that it would cost $25 million to $30 million to implement bus tracking systemwide.

"The idea here is to try to get as much information out as many different ways as we can to accommodate the many different kinds of customers we have," he said.

The GPS software also has text messaging capabilities so Control Center operators can communicate with field supervisors on the No. 20 Madison route to monitor daily bus activity and emergencies, Kruesi said.

The testing phase of the bus tracker program will continue through December.[/I]

spyguy Aug 7, 2006 3:35 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...l=chi-news-hed

Crime drops as CTA ridership grows
Published August 7, 2006, 4:07 AM CDT

The Chicago Transit Authority says fewer crimes have been reported on its buses and trains during the first half of the year despite an increase in riders.

The agency says pick-pocketing and strong-arm robbery continue to be the most common offenses committed on trains, at stations and on buses.

In the first six months of 2006, there were 544 reported robberies, a decline of nearly 7 percent from the same period last year.

The number of thefts dropped even more during the period, from 96 last year to 63—a 34 percent difference.

There were 21 assaults, the same as last year, and 37 reports of aggravated battery, one fewer than last year.

The CTA says it had 202.6 million riders in the first half of the year, up 1.4 percent from last year.

VivaLFuego Aug 7, 2006 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...l=chi-news-hed

Crime drops as CTA ridership grows
Published August 7, 2006, 4:07 AM CDT

The Chicago Transit Authority says fewer crimes have been reported on its buses and trains during the first half of the year despite an increase in riders.

The agency says pick-pocketing and strong-arm robbery continue to be the most common offenses committed on trains, at stations and on buses.

In the first six months of 2006, there were 544 reported robberies, a decline of nearly 7 percent from the same period last year.

The number of thefts dropped even more during the period, from 96 last year to 63—a 34 percent difference.

There were 21 assaults, the same as last year, and 37 reports of aggravated battery, one fewer than last year.

The CTA says it had 202.6 million riders in the first half of the year, up 1.4 percent from last year.

Good news on safety, since in this country the perception of danger on public transit is one of the biggest reason people avoid it. Each little step helps, by keeping vehicles cleaner and free of graffiiti and installing conspicuous security cameras on busses, trains, and at stations.

The ridership stats break down interestingly, rail ridership is up significantly (I think like 6% from last year while bus ridership is down).

spyguy Aug 10, 2006 12:16 AM

CTA needs $8-10 billion for the next 5 years

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/c...ticleid=122271

CTA Forecasts $8 Billion in Capital Needs
8/9/06

At today’s Chicago Transit Board meeting, the CTA’s vice-president of capital programs announced that after an extensive examination of the CTA’s assets and infrastructure, including rail stations, tracks and support facilities, the CTA and its capital program management team have determined that an $8 billion capital investment is needed in the next five years in order to allow the CTA to continue to provide safe and reliable service and meet growing transit needs. Including all planned rail line extensions would increase the figure to more than $10 billion.

Of the projected $8 billion need, CTA staff has identified about $2.2 billion that could be available through federal funding or CTA-issued bonds, leaving a potential unfunded need at $5.8 billion. A decision on an anticipated state capital program could help narrow the gap.

Projects include replacing and rehabbing aging buses and trains to improve reliability and customer comfort; retrofitting rail cars with cameras to enhance customer safety and system security; rebuilding train stations to increase circulation and accessibility; expanding the new Bus Tracker program to provide arrival information for all bus lines; upgrading the public address system to offer timely and clear information during service disruptions; upgrading signal and communications system to improve system reliability; and extending the Red, Orange and Yellow Lines.

The CTA’s last capital assessment identified $5.1 billion of needed projects. The updated figure resulted from a rigorous 18 month assessment that the CTA started to prepare for a successor capital program to Illinois FIRST, also contributing was a directive from the Illinois State Auditor General that the CTA review its operations and management, including its capital program. The result is the CTA’s most comprehensive needs assessment in nearly 10 years.

“The right capital investments can decrease operating costs, increase reliability and improve overall service quality,” said Chicago Transit Board Chairman Carole Brown. “With record gas prices making public transit an increasingly attractive option, it is important to understand the big picture so that CTA, its customers and all those who take an interest in CTA activities can see what level of service is possible with a solid investment and, alternatively, what is likely without one.”

The CTA’s long-standing capital goal is to reach what is known in the transit industry as a “State of Good Repair.” It requires that equipment and facilities are upgraded and replaced in a timely manner and that service management systems should be modern and reliable.

“Although we constantly invest in improvements to our fleet and facilities, the fact remains that some of our infrastructure and facilities are more than 100 years old, and all of it is aging year after year. To achieve and maintain a state of good repair requires continued investment,” said CTA President Frank Kruesi. “We run a 24/7 operation with a heavy and growing daily demand. Timely maintenance and replacement of aging assets is necessary to keep trains and buses running, to keep our facilities safe and efficient, to incorporate technologies that will improve service for our customers, and to control future costs.”

Paul Fish, Vice President of Capital Investment, reported that in recent years the CTA has made significant progress in its capital program thanks to federal funding and the state’s last capital program, Illinois FIRST, which provided the CTA with more than $800 million in investment between 2000 and 2004 and enabled it to leverage federal funding. As a result, the CTA increased the investment in its capital program from 19 percent of the funding needed to get to a state of good repair in 1999 to nearly 60 percent by 2004.

Recent investments include the renovation of the 54th/Cermak (Douglas) branch of the Blue Line and the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line; the purchase of more than 1,100 new buses that are air conditioned and accessible to people with disabilities; the refurbishment of nearly 1,000 rail cars; the replacement of 15 miles of double track, 40 miles of cable and 27 miles of rail; renovation of 30 rail stations, installation of new elevators and escalators and structural projects such as Harrison Curve and the Paulina Connector that have enabled service improvements.

VivaLFuego Aug 10, 2006 12:40 AM

$8 billion in 5 years......dream on.
I hope theres a solid plan in place to best use the $2-3 billion or so the CTA will probably get over that period

Chicago3rd Aug 10, 2006 5:06 AM

CTA Fullerton Station Upgrade

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187989-L.jpg

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187991-L.jpg

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187982-M.jpg

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187983-L.jpg

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187985-L.jpg

http://wilthe3rd.smugmug.com/photos/87187986-L.jpg

nomarandlee Aug 10, 2006 11:54 AM

Brown Line work running months late

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cta10.html

Brown Line work running months late

August 10, 2006

BY MONIFA THOMAS Transportation Reporter

Shedding light on just how far behind schedule parts of the CTA's Brown Line renovation project might be, contractors working for the CTA have requested nearly six additional months to complete rehab work at three stations, CTA officials said Wednesday.

The contractor responsible for station and platform enhancements at the Armitage stop is asking the Chicago Transit Authority for 172 extra days to finish the job, pushing the expected completion date for that station to August 2007 instead of February.

The same contractor, FHP Tectonics, also anticipates being 173 days behind schedule on the Chicago and Sedgwick stations, according to Susan Plassmeyer, the CTA's executive vice president of construction.

The CTA has said that work on these three stations would be delayed because the CTA's construction department failed to get the proper permits. But Wednesday was the first time the CTA specified how much extra time the permitting problems have potentially added.

Contractor estimates for completion of the Western station work have also been revised to account for nearly four months of anticipated delays, Plassmeyer said. The new expected completion date for the station is November 2007.

CTA staff disclosed the new estimates at the request of board members, who expressed strong doubts last month over whether the $530million project could be completed on-time and within budget.

CTA Board Chairwoman Carole Brown didn't sound any more reassured after Wednesday's board meeting. "I still don't think I have a full picture of exactly when and if there are going to be significant delays," she said. "I'm still waiting to see where progress on the project really is."

CTA President Frank Kruesi, meanwhile, insists that the delays outlined Wednesday will not keep the CTA from completing the entire project by 2009.

In related news, the Kimball and Rockwell stations, which have been closed temporarily while under construction, are scheduled to reopen Aug. 18.
mjthomas@suntimes.com

SevenSevenThree Aug 16, 2006 6:43 AM

nevermind.

spyguy Aug 17, 2006 2:44 AM

Some pictures of the newly opened Rockwell station

Here and here

And Kedzie

spyguy Aug 18, 2006 2:56 PM

How sad

Those who missed the `L' at Belmont are not alone

By Jon Hilkevitch and Gerry Doyle

Tribune staff reporters
Published August 18, 2006

Commuters, have you lost your bearings? If so, don't look to some of the new CTA signs for help.

And if you've been searching all around Chicago for a street named "Bemont," stop looking.

The transit agency could have benefited from the services of a good proofreader before printing about 3,000 new, over-the-door rail system maps that are posted on all 1,100 CTA train cars.

A series of mistakes resulted in the firing of one CTA employee Thursday, and it will cost the agency $75,000 to replace the signs.

The maps, revised this summer to include the new Pink Line, list the wrong phone number for the Regional Transportation Authority's travel information hot line, which connects commuters calling from most metropolitan Chicago area codes with advisers who help them plan transit itineraries.

Instead of 836-7000, which was correctly listed on the old rail system maps, the number on the new maps flips two digits.

Callers to the wrong number in the 847 area code are connected to a young man's voice mail.

"Hey, this is Nick's cell phone. Call me back again some other time because I never listen to my messages. ... Maybe I'll talk to you later."

In the 312 area code, callers are greeted by a corporation's voice-mail access line.

"Meridian Mail mailbox," says the automated voice, which prompts callers to "Please enter your mailbox number followed by the number sign."

More mistakes here

VivaLFuego Aug 18, 2006 4:11 PM

I would have expected at least one person to proofread it before going to press...