SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8864913)
86% of people with coronavirus are walking around undetected, study says

By Jackie Salo March 17, 2020 | 10:15am

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-...ed-study-says/

:hell:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://www.snowbowl.ski/snowbowl-su...ting-march-17/

Quote:

After much deliberation and considering many stakeholder interests, Snowbowl has made the difficult decision to suspend winter operations beginning at 4 p.m. today, March 17, until further notice.

First of all, I apologize for the short notice. We intended a very different sendoff for our closing, but effective this evening at 8 p.m., Flagstaff Mayor Coral Evans has mandated the closure of all bars, breweries and entertainment venues to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Although we’re located outside city limits and not required to follow the jurisdiction of the City of Flagstaff, we’ve voluntarily made the decision to suspend operations when the lifts close today.

The decision to close was not made lightly. In addition to our collaboration with Mayor Evans, we worked very closely in partnership with the Coconino National Forest, our local government and community leaders to do the right thing.
Well there goes my weekend plan.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETVILv9U...jpg&name=large

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 6:26 PM

^ you are a real special case obdano.

its well known entitled and careless people like you are the ones spreading this around.

we can only hope that info about corona and your local closure as made by sensible adults make you rethink your choices.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8864933)

its well known entitled and careless people like you are the ones spreading this around.

we can only hope that info about corona and your local closure as made by sensible adults made you rethink your choices.

I could ski while maintaining social distance my man.

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864935)
I could ski while maintaining social distance my man.

yes you can.

but you can't ... in the parking lot, paying, the chalet, the lifts, the apres hot coco joint, the gas station on the way, etc. etc. etc.

those are needless and careless risks at the moment. and if you have been acting this way they say its very likely you are a typhoid obdano by now regardless.

try to use better common sense for awhile.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 17, 2020 6:42 PM

Hey everyone, maybe just stay the fuck out of Coconino County (or anywhere, really) for the time being.

mhays Mar 17, 2020 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8864933)

we can only hope that info about corona and your local closure as made by sensible adults make you rethink your choices.

Agreed.

The US is at greater risk because too many people put themselves ahead of their country.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8865018)
Agreed.

The US is at greater risk because too many people put themselves ahead of their country.

Boys I have been following this since before most people even knew it existed. Dont ask why, I have an affinity for morbid epidemic news, its addicting.

Im glad you guys are concerned but there is also no reason to go into a wild panic.

You do not need to shut yourselves into your homes at the moment. In fact I would recommend taking advantage of the spring weather before we end up locked in our homes like Italy, I think you got another week to 10 days or so.

But there is no reason to get all bent out of shape about a random guy in a state with only (now 20) known cases going to a mostly empty (now closed) ski resort in a town with 0 cases.

Its just a bit much

iheartthed Mar 17, 2020 7:54 PM

If you live in NYC, it's highly likely that we'll be ordered to "shelter in place" in less than 48 hours:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-next-n1161516

homebucket Mar 17, 2020 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8865041)
If you live in NYC, it's highly likely that we'll be ordered to "shelter in place" in less than 48 hours:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-next-n1161516

Should've happened already.

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8865034)
Boys I have been following this since before most people even knew it existed. Dont ask why, I have an affinity for morbid epidemic news, its addicting.

Im glad you guys are concerned but there is also no reason to go into a wild panic.

You do not need to shut yourselves into your homes at the moment. In fact I would recommend taking advantage of the spring weather before we end up locked in our homes like Italy, I think you got another week to 10 days or so.

But there is no reason to get all bent out of shape about a random guy in a state with only (now 20) known cases going to a mostly empty (now closed) ski resort in a town with 0 cases.

Its just a bit much

umm yeah, there was a time when nyc had 20 known cases too. anyway, i dont know what you think you know, but its most certainly nothing about what a pandemic is. prevention is crucial. go read up on that. also the part about you being an unknown carrier and out in public situations for no good reason. not to mention now doubling down and boasting about it here on social media. that behavior just reeks of being entitled and uncaring at best.

i mean of course yes go out out and enjoy nice weather for a bit, but make it before a grocery errand or something, avoid people and stay at home for now.

mrnyc Mar 17, 2020 8:30 PM

young people are in a lot more trouble with this than they initially thought or hoped.

belgium doc says lung scans of infected younger people are terrifying:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/corona...of-terrifying/

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 8:31 PM

This idea seems to be spreading like a virus:

From my HOA

Quote:

St. Paddy Day

Your neighbor Marguerite, is inviting everyone to sing together from your courtyard facing balcony/walkway and windows at 6 p.m. tonight.

Inspired by Italy and St. Patricks' Day, the song will be "When Irish Eyes are Smiling"

If you don't know the words, song sheets can be picked up at the Security Desk.

Join your neighbors.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 17, 2020 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8864942)
yes you can.

but you can't ... in the parking lot, paying, the chalet, the lifts, the apres hot coco joint, the gas station on the way, etc. etc. etc.

those are needless and careless risks at the moment. and if you have been acting this way they say its very likely you are a typhoid obdano by now regardless.

try to use better common sense for awhile.

Its amazing how they just dont get it

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Coronavirus and homelessness: SF wants to house people in schools, churches
Photo of Kevin Fagan
Kevin Fagan March 17, 2020 Updated: March 17, 2020 1:29 p.m.

Schools auditoriums, church halls and state properties in San Francisco are being looked at as potential homeless shelters in the coming weeks as the city scrambles to pull as many of its 3,500-plus unsheltered people as possible inside during the coronavirus crisis, officials said Tuesday.

The effort is being mirrored across the Bay Area and California at the direction of Gov. Gavin Newsom, who said Sunday that he would like to see all 108,000 of the state’s unsheltered homeless people under roofs while the danger of transmitting COVID-19 persists. The Legislature approved a funding package late Monday that includes millions of dollars aimed toward Newsom’s goal — and already the state has leased two hotels in Oakland with 400 rooms for that purpose, plus two other hotels in San Mateo County . . . .

As head of San Francisco’s Human Services Agency, Trent Rhorer is in charge of the city’s emergency housing effort, and he said he is looking at large facilities that can be quickly turned into shelters for at least a few weeks.

With the school district shut down, campuses are one likely place to put homeless people, Rhorer said. Churches around the city are being asked to open their halls as well.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...politicalpunch

And if, as in the past, they don't want to go into a shelter? Part of the reason is bans or controls on drug and alcohol use in shelters. Others just abhor being controlled and prefer independent living even outside.

Then there's the problem of shelters having large rooms holding many more than 10 people, contrary to all the infectious disease expert advice.

And finally there's the question of damage done to property housing them by these addicted, mentally ill people. Will the city and state guarantee to cover all damage? And some churches especially are irreplaceable architectural gems--at least one is suspected of having been burned to the ground by homeless people being sheltered in its basement.

Still, if SF can sweep the streets and sidewalks now, it will have a hard time explaining why it can't do that when normal times return.

BnaBreaker Mar 17, 2020 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8865097)
young people are in a lot more trouble with this than they initially thought or hoped.

belgium doc says lung scans of infected younger people are terrifying:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/corona...of-terrifying/

Not trying to downplay this in any way shape or form, but it sounds like the young people in question here are just one's who are seriously ill and have come to see this doctor seeking treatment.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 8865153)
Not trying to downplay this in any way shape or form, but it sounds like the young people in question here are just one's who are seriously ill and have come to see this doctor seeking treatment.

Of the people that do get sick up to 20% of them end up hospitalized.

That is really the big deal with this illness. It requires a lot of intensive care and its easy to overwhelm the health system.

BnaBreaker Mar 17, 2020 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8865154)
Of the people that do get sick up to 20% of them end up hospitalized.

That is really the big deal with this illness. It requires a lot of intensive care and its easy to overwhelm the health system.

I know... but the headline of that article, at least to me, made it sound as if the lung scans were terrifying to the doctor across the board regardless of the severity of the infection, and I just wanted to make the clarification that the doctor was referring to those with severe infections.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 17, 2020 9:23 PM

Quote:

I don't know if Norway has an equivalent to HIPAA (or if that even matters?), but we probably also don't know if the younger people seeking treatment are immunocompromised.

Side note: Some studies indicated that the rate of fatality among diabetics after contracting the virus was around 7.3%, but didn't appear to distinguish between people with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes. As anyone with either type will tell you (I'm a Type 1...), there's significant differences between the two.

tdawg Mar 17, 2020 9:40 PM

There will be a decision on a shelter-in-place announcement for NYC in the next 48 hours per the Mayor's Twitter feed. The hubby and I just did a mad dash to the liquor store just in case.

Obadno Mar 17, 2020 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8865189)
There will be a decision on a shelter-in-place announcement for NYC in the next 48 hours per the Mayor's Twitter feed. The hubby and I just did a mad dash to the liquor store just in case.

Finally somebody in this thread with the right priorities.

chris08876 Mar 17, 2020 10:07 PM

Easiest commute to a client site in ages today. For those that know the area, the portion where I-78 meets the NJ Turnpike (right before the tolls), is usually a massive shit bottleneck from hell. Today, easiest time ever. No issues, and it was raining too.

hauntedheadnc Mar 17, 2020 10:07 PM

I had to do a monthly contact with a kid, with them standing on the porch and me standing across the yard, both of us on phones and with a dog taking a dump on the grass in between us.

#workingsocially

chris08876 Mar 17, 2020 10:09 PM

People are wearing masks though. Spotted some today. Client I went to deals with weight lifting equipment, and all the employees had masks. Although some of them were not wearing it right. Some had it backwards.

I suppose one way of using PPE properly is using it the right way!

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Of course they are a select group: The ones who get sick. But the myth is none of this age get sick and that is clearly wrong which is the point the Dr. is making.

JManc Mar 17, 2020 11:03 PM

Here in Texas, there's not even 100 cases out of almost 30 million people but most are taking it serious regardless. Who cares if AZ 'only' has 20 cases (that we know of) but that's sure to rise exponentially.

Steely Dan Mar 17, 2020 11:07 PM

Scenes just witnessed around my neighborhood:

- loads of people out walking around, walking their dogs, kids riding scooters, etc. But everyone making sure to keep their distance, ie. Neighbors shouting hello to each other across the street and so forth.

- an outbound brownline train just rolled down our alley with maybe a dozen people on it. @ 5:30pm!!!

Most people around me seem to be taking this seriously, which is great to see.

SIGSEGV Mar 17, 2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8865283)
Scenes just witnessed around my neighborhood:

- loads of people out walking around, walking their dogs, kids riding scooters, etc. But everyone making sure to keep their distance, ie. Neighbors shouting hello to each other across the street and so forth.

- an outbound browline train just rolled down our alley with maybe a dozen people on it. @ 5:30pm!!!

Most people around me seem to be taking this seriously, which is great to see.

Yes, I can see the Roosevelt statoion from my window and it is way less crowded than usual. Like...10 pm levels of pedestrian activity at 6 pm.

chris08876 Mar 17, 2020 11:19 PM

I went to Round Valley Reservoir on Sunday, and there folks in the park with their children, walking around, hiking/jogging. Like everything was normal. Some were eating on benches.

Lesson to be learned is that there are those that will take measures, and those that will take extreme measures like wearing a bubble suit or building a rocket to prove the earth is flat and one that crashes. :shrug:

Eh... whataya gonna do

10023 Mar 17, 2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8865280)
Here in Texas, there's not even 100 cases out of almost 30 million people but most are taking it serious regardless. Who cares if AZ 'only' has 20 cases (that we know of) but that's sure to rise exponentially.

Exponentially to what? A few hundred? A thousand? Neither would be meaningful.

SpawnOfVulcan Mar 17, 2020 11:44 PM

Most of us on our floor at work are working from home, but I had things to do that I could only complete at the office (same case tomorrow except I'll be driving all over Birmingham). When I went out to pick up lunch today, downtown wasn't exactly a ghost town. There were definitely more people walking around compared to weekends, but I saw what I would estimate to be 90% fewer people around than usual. People were keeping distance from eachother and there were maybe 9 of us on our floor in the office out of the normal 70 or so on a typical business day, and we stayed pretty well separated throughout the day.

Another thing that has been happening since the outbreak really hit the US has been Delta parking plenty of planes at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Intl. BHM has plenty of space for them in adjacent property that was formerly an aircraft manufacturing/maintenance facility. Yesterday, I think there were at least 10 wide-body Delta planes parked, today there were easily over 20. I love plane-spotting and usually go out of my way to visit the airport's obervation area on my way home from work so this has been nice to see, I just wish it were under better circumstances.

Pedestrian Mar 17, 2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8865296)
I went to Round Valley Reservoir on Sunday, and there folks in the park with their children, walking around, hiking/jogging. Like everything was normal. Some were eating on benches.

Lesson to be learned is that there are those that will take measures, and those that will take extreme measures like wearing a bubble suit or building a rocket to prove the earth is flat and one that crashes. :shrug:

Eh... whataya gonna do

There's nothing wrong with any of these activities (except maybe the people with their children in the park unless they make sure they stay away from other peoples' children in the park). You should be quite safe outdoors as long as you maintain a 6 ft distance from other people. And the major risk of jogging is you'll be hit by a car or attacked by someone else's dog.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8865326)

With business as usual, 20 million.

chris08876 Mar 18, 2020 12:11 AM

Somewhere with that 20 million figure, there's the room for a Stalin Quote, but I won't go there.

Yeah that would be crazy though.

In an odd way, again... just mind chatter... that's all it is... but the social security problem would be fixed in a years time. I know, a crude joke... but mind chatter (what ran through my mind) that's all.

chris08876 Mar 18, 2020 12:13 AM

Let's hope this thing doesn't mutate into a bunch of different strains with varying levels of severity. Every replication increases the chance of a mutation. Virus's typically mutate as an evolutionary response to avoid the immune systems of creatures or hosts.

So in a nut shell, hopefully its not to the point where the vaccine in the works is not effective by the time its released.

jd3189 Mar 18, 2020 12:21 AM

Despite all these precautions, most of us will get it. Ain't necessarily the end of the world if we do, depending on our immune response. That's something I'm thinking about since it's inevitable.

hauntedheadnc Mar 18, 2020 12:27 AM

A very Asheville thing is occurring... Drag queens are on local social media asking for help since all their bookings have dried up.

chris08876 Mar 18, 2020 1:17 AM

‘Shelter in Place’ order could hit NYC: Here’s what it means

Quote:

New York City could soon be placed under a “shelter-in-place” order to contain the coronavirus — here’s what it would mean for the Big Apple’s 8.6 million residents.

Under the strict public health measure, all non-essential businesses would be shut down. That means only police and fire departments, hospitals, grocery stores, pharmacies and perhaps gas stations, banks and laundromats would remain open.

The move would ramp up the lockdown that’s already been enacted in the city, where theaters, gyms, libraries and museums have closed and bars and restaurants are only doing takeout and delivery.

“It’s taking some of the rules we’re encouraging people to follow now making them tighter and reducing the workforce greatly and reducing travel greatly,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said, warning that food service and retail could be shut down.

De Blasio said he was looking at similar edicts enacted in Italy and, as of midnight Tuesday, in the San Francisco Bay Area.
===================
https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/shelte...what-it-means/

BnaBreaker Mar 18, 2020 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8865326)

If nothing was done to combat this, potentially everybody.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 18, 2020 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8865361)
A very Asheville thing is occurring... Drag queens are on local social media asking for help since all their bookings have dried up.

So, like, can you hire a drag queen to do a show in your living room? Seems to go against the tenets of social distancing, but this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

photoLith Mar 18, 2020 2:26 AM

Heres a couple photos I took tonight of Carson St, which is Pittsburgh's bar scene. On any other St. Patricks day this street would be packed with cars and sidewalks would be shoulder to shoulder traffic. Tonight, there were a few people walking around and no cars hardly. I would surmise that 40% of these long established bars won't be able to make it through this if the quarantine lasts longer than a few weeks, which it surely will.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dfb4c352_h.jpgUntitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...897e8234_h.jpgUntitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

This is truly some movie level shit. All of those thousands of jobs on just one street gone overnight with maybe a $1000 check each coming their way in a couple of weeks. And that money will last a couple of weeks maybe with how high rents are.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 2:47 AM

Hungry in San Francisco?

Here Are All The San Francisco Restaurants That Are Open For Delivery And Takeout

Handro Mar 18, 2020 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8865357)
Despite all these precautions, most of us will get it. Ain't necessarily the end of the world if we do, depending on our immune response. That's something I'm thinking about since it's inevitable.

Pretty sure that even worst case scenarios don’t have “most” people getting it... it would have to be the most contagious virus of all time. At this point they’re not even sure how contagious it is.

photoLith Mar 18, 2020 3:21 AM

It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it. The death rate of 1-2 percent is clearly not that; and if it is, I t’s with those, sorry to say, who are within a couple of years of dying anyways. This is going to cause the Great Depression 2.0. Sorry 10023 for calling you a monster, but I digress and believe this is all being overblown. Elderly people above the age of 75 (who mostly are already retired) should be quarantined. Nobody else should be. This is going to cause immense suffering by the majority of the American populace due to loss of jobs and no social safety networks and no universal healthcare.

This is 9/11 times 100.

Handro Mar 18, 2020 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8865511)
It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it.

I don’t think that’s accurate. 70-80% are “mild” in that they don’t require hospitalization.

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:34 AM

Quote:

It’s not that contagious and the death rate I’m convinced similar to that of the flu, just a fractional bit higher. 70-80% of people that have it have no symptoms. The only people being tested are those with severe symptoms. This is all overblown hardcore and we’re all going to lose our jobs because of it. The death rate of 1-2 percent is clearly not that; and if it is, I t’s with those, sorry to say, who are within a couple of years of dying anyways. This is going to cause the Great Depression 2.0. Sorry 10023 for calling you a monster, but I digress and believe this is all being overblown. Elderly people above the age of 75 (who mostly are already retired) should be quarantined. Nobody else should be. This is going to cause immense suffering by the majority of the American populace due to loss of jobs and no social safety networks and no universal healthcare.

This is 9/11 times 100.

Global figures and number of deaths sorted by country, updated about every 8 hours. You might want to bookmark and keep checking back. As of this evening the GLOBAL death rate seems to be 0.0402391782905905 (198,513 cases/7988 deaths) https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:42 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Global figures and number of deaths updated about every 8 hours. You might want to bookmark and keep checking back. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

austlar1 Mar 18, 2020 4:45 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Here is the GLOBAL death rate breakdown sorted by age based on the 198,518 case figure
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old

21.9%

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

photoLith Mar 18, 2020 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8865557)
Here is the GLOBAL death rate breakdown sorted by age based on the 198,518 case figure
GE
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old

21.9%

14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

Yes and like live said, the vast majority of cases are unreported. So that skews the death rate by a huge percentage. I don’t understand why this is so hard to understand.

AviationGuy Mar 18, 2020 5:42 AM

Quote:

This is 9/11 times 100.

Your info is different from what the medical community has been telling us. Dr. Fauci (not sure how you spell it) has been a good source of information.
Consider the catastrophe in Italy right now. That's us in a couple of weeks if we don't take all these strict measures.

BnaBreaker Mar 18, 2020 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8865561)
Yes and like live said, the vast majority of cases are unreported. So that skews the death rate by a huge percentage. I don’t understand why this is so hard to understand.

Read this: https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993