SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

iheartthed Sep 23, 2020 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9050720)
I read the investment press, not the hotel industry press, but I believe I've read exactly the opposite view on several occasions: That the discovery that ZOOM could suffice for in-person business meetings has meant that business-oriented hotels might suffer the worst; perhaps not right away but eventually because eventaully tourism and liesure travel will return to "normal" but business travel may never be the same.

I don't think Zoom will be a replacement for in-person meetings. Many people are realizing that Zoom is kind of terrible as a primary mode of communication. Business travel will recover as soon as it's safe to do so. Especially business and trade conferences. I don't think leisure travel will bounce back in the same way. Leisure travel will become extremely expensive when business travel picks up again, as corporate expense accounts will push up the cost.

Additionally, I'm noticing some work from home fatigue from my white collar social networks. I think many people are going to rush back to the office, at least part time, as soon as they can do so safely.

the urban politician Sep 23, 2020 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9050895)
I don't think Zoom will be a replacement for in-person meetings.

Ain't that the truth...

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxne....jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Crawford Sep 23, 2020 2:25 PM

Quote:

Additionally, I'm noticing some work from home fatigue from my white collar social networks. I think many people are going to rush back to the office, at least part time, as soon as they can do so safely.

We're actually doing a remote work dress-up day today, because so many coworkers are apparently desperate to put on their suits and heels. We've had multiple remote happy hours and other social engagements. People are itching to get back to normalcy, but impossible without vaccine.

Steely Dan Sep 23, 2020 4:58 PM

mask stupidity moved to the stupidity festival in CE:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=241619

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9050772)
Yes, they do. These major hotels will all be reflagged with new brands. People will start traveling once there's a vaccine.

In fact, one of the hotels you just posted (the Times Square Edition) was already reflagged, days after closing. It will remain an Edition, but under revised ownership. It's opening in a few days, actually. That asset is probably one of the most valuable hotels on earth, given its location.

https://therealdeal.com/2020/07/14/t...-debt-dispute/

The other hotel you posted, the Palmer House Hilton, had like $250 million poured into it a few years ago. It's a very valuable asset, and I bet will be reflagged before end-of-year.

You really believe that people will stop traveling, essentially forever? I have about a dozen planned work trips that will occur in the first few months of normalcy, as well as leisure trips planned to Europe and Mexico. Yes, the economy will remain horrific for a few quarters, yes some will be wary to travel for a few quarters, but people ultimately won't stop needing travel and human interaction.

The fate of specific properties aside, the essence of the article was that a significant proportion of New York hotels—the article says 20%—will not remain hotels but be converted to other uses like condos or rental apartments. That’s not my opinion but the opinion of industry experts so you are saying you know more than they do (you always say you know more than anyone on any subject so not surprising).

Yes, I do think there’s evidence a growing proportion of business travel may be unnecessary and can be done electronically: Deals can be closed with Docusign, meetings can be held with Zoom etc.

iheartthed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9051153)
Yes, I do think there’s evidence a growing proportion of business travel may be unnecessary and can be done electronically: Deals can be closed with Docusign, meetings can be held with Zoom etc.

This has all been possible for decades, and it didn't kill business travel then, nor will it now. Meetings could be had by phone since the invention of it. Documents could be couriered, faxed, overnighted, etc., for decades. Zoom and Docusign are just incremental improvements on technology that already existed. Nothing has fundamentally changed.

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 5:13 PM

Quote:

I don't think Zoom will be a replacement for in-person meetings. Many people are realizing that Zoom is kind of terrible as a primary mode of communication. Business travel will recover as soon as it's safe to do so. Especially business and trade conferences. I don't think leisure travel will bounce back in the same way. Leisure travel will become extremely expensive when business travel picks up again, as corporate expense accounts will push up the cost.

Some fraction of business travel may go; some liesure travel may go. It’s probably pointless for us here to argue how much of each but I’ll repeat that from what I read, industry analysts and insiders seem to think it’s more of the business travel that’s unnecessary and likely to be curtailed. The result is fewer hotel rooms needed than we thought a year ago.

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9051165)
This has all been possible for decades, and it didn't kill business travel then, nor will it now. Meetings could be had by phone since the invention of it. Documents could be couriered, faxed, overnighted, etc., for decades. Zoom and Docusign are just incremental improvements on technology that already existed. Nothing has fundamentally changed.

People were reluctant to try it. Now they have tried it by necessity and it worked. Some won’t go back.

Innsertnamehere Sep 23, 2020 5:16 PM

I know many hotels in Toronto are being leased by the city right now to house the homeless as shelters are too densely packed.. though that's mostly helping the bottom end of the hotel market.

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 9051172)
I know many hotels in Toronto are being leased by the city right now to house the homeless as shelters are too densely packed.. though that's mostly helping the bottom end of the hotel market.

California has a new program to actually buy millions of dollars of low end hotel properties and convert them to permanent homeless shelters.

isaidso Sep 23, 2020 5:40 PM

COVID has put my plans in a holding pattern. Ontario never managed to 'get it together' with new daily infections only briefly heading below 100. We're now entering the 2nd wave and cases have spiked to the 400-500 new daily infections range. It will likely head much higher as practically no one in Toronto practices physical distancing.

Ontario's response has been pathetic so I may move to Atlantic Canada till this is over. They've handled the pandemic far better and they've been rewarded with next to no cases for weeks. I guess I've sort of given up on Ontario taking this seriously.

Crawford Sep 23, 2020 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9051153)
The fate of specific properties aside, the essence of the article was that a significant proportion of New York hotels—the article says 20%—will not remain hotels but be converted to other uses like condos or rental apartments. That’s not my opinion but the opinion of industry experts so you are saying you know more than they do (you always say you know more than anyone on any subject so not surprising).

No, this is not what the article says. Re-read the article. And the issue with hotels has nothing specifically to do with NYC; it's as relevant to Muncie and Amarillo. Hotels are empty, everywhere, because no one is traveling.

You couldn't even do this. Converting hotels under union control in NYC is currently illegal. Most major NYC hotels are unionized, and it's one of the most powerful unions in NYC, controlling many land use decisions. It look like a decade for the Waldorf Astoria to be converted to partial residential use, and the union responded by basically banning such conversions.

Both the cited hotels are union, so there's a 0% chance of converting to residential. And the highest and best use is hotel, not residential. These are Times Square-adjacent properties. They'll remain hotels, even if they lose money for the next year or so.

the urban politician Sep 23, 2020 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9051167)
Some fraction of business travel may go; some liesure travel may go. It’s probably pointless for us here to argue how much of each but I’ll repeat that from what I read, industry analysts and insiders seem to think it’s more of the business travel that’s unnecessary and likely to be curtailed. The result is fewer hotel rooms needed than we thought a year ago.

Come on, now

How do you get a deal done via a screen?

You need to booze, schmooze, buy um a nice "massage"..... isn't that how business really gets done? :naughty:

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9051248)
No, this is not what the article says. Re-read the article. And the issue with hotels has nothing specifically to do with NYC; it's as relevant to Muncie and Amarillo. Hotels are empty, everywhere, because no one is traveling.

You couldn't even do this. Converting hotels under union control in NYC is currently illegal. Most major NYC hotels are unionized, and it's one of the most powerful unions in NYC, controlling many land use decisions. It look like a decade for the Waldorf Astoria to be converted to partial residential use, and the union responded by basically banning such conversions.

Both the cited hotels are union, so there's a 0% chance of converting to residential. And the highest and best use is hotel, not residential. These are Times Square-adjacent properties. They'll remain hotels, even if they lose money for the next year or so.

Quote:

As many as 25,000 rooms, or 20% of New York’s total, might not reopen, analysts and hotel owners say. That is equivalent to the entire size of hotel markets in Louisville, Ky., or Jacksonville, Fla.

“Covid…was the final nail in the coffin,” for these New York properties, said Lukas Hartwich, an analyst with Green Street Advisors who follows the lodging industry . . . .

Many of the hotels that won’t reopen likely will be converted into other uses, such as rental apartments or office space. The reduced supply would likely benefit the hotel owners who survive.

“A shrinking market would be a great backdrop for finding a bottom and seeing some nice growth from that point on,” said Mr. Hartwich of Green Street . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-new-...od-11592308800

I guess we'll have to let people who can read English decide for themselves.

Crawford Sep 23, 2020 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9051319)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-new-...od-11592308800

I guess we'll have to let people who can read English decide for themselves.

Exactly, thank you. The bolded statements contradict your claims.

There are many, many hotels that will be reflagged. Many will be temporarily closed. In fact 20% might be low. And a few will be converted to other uses. But your claim that 20% of NYC hotels will be permanently closed and most will become residential is nonsense.

99% of hotel properties will stay hotels, except those in high-value residential areas like the UES and UWS (and there are almost none of those, as they were already converted pre-union bans).

And, again, this has nothing to do with NYC specifically. It's relevant to every city on the planet.

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9051338)
Exactly, thank you. The bolded statements contradict your claims.

There are many, many hotels that will be reflagged.

So your brain translates "converted to other uses" into "reflagged". OK. And "not reopen" doesn't put a time limit on it.

You simply don't agree with those in the industry or professional anlysts of the industry and people can decide who to listen to (recognizing that you know everything about everything).

The article is specifically about NYC.

Pedestrian Sep 23, 2020 10:54 PM

Gonna have to prove you're negative before getting on a plane?

Quote:

Positive about flying? Airlines look to COVID tests that give results in minutes
By John Miller, Emilio Parodi

ZURICH/MILAN (Reuters) - European airlines are pinning hopes on pre-flight COVID-19 tests that deliver results as fast as pregnancy tests to help restore passengers’ confidence in taking to the skies in confined spaces with shared air.

Germany’s Lufthansa, at the mercy of government bailouts for survival, is in talks with Swiss drugmaker Roche over deploying so-called antigen tests, according to two people familiar with the discussions, as the airline aims to make them available next month.

Italian operator Alitalia, meanwhile, told Reuters that from Wednesday it would add two flights from Milan to Rome, to the two it is already offering from Rome to Milan, exclusively for passengers with negative tests.

The tests are administered by health authorities at the airports and included in ticket prices
. If they prove popular and safe, these antigen-tested flights will be expanded to more domestic, and later international, routes, the airline said.

Unlike laboratory-based molecular tests that have been the staple of health authorities in the pandemic, antigen tests do not require machines to process. Much like pregnancy tests, they can produce results in about 15 minutes.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKCN26E0RT

MonkeyRonin Sep 24, 2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 9051212)
COVID has put my plans in a holding pattern. Ontario never managed to 'get it together' with new daily infections only briefly heading below 100. We're now entering the 2nd wave and cases have spiked to the 400-500 new daily infections range. It will likely head much higher as practically no one in Toronto practices physical distancing.

Ontario's response has been pathetic so I may move to Atlantic Canada till this is over. They've handled the pandemic far better and they've been rewarded with next to no cases for weeks. I guess I've sort of given up on Ontario taking this seriously.

You'll be in for a rude awakening once you get there then, if you think that people are actually behaving any differently in the Atlantic provinces. I would assume the opposite if anything - given the low case count in their bubble, people are more likely to be going about life as usual. The worse things are, the more alert people are; and vice versa.

Atlantic Canada's "success" versus the rest of Canada has nothing to do with better policies or behaviour, and everything to do with being a less populated, less globally connected, more rural place - and largely just the luck of the draw that they didn't experience any super spreader events early on.

Pedestrian Sep 24, 2020 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 9051732)
You'll be in for a rude awakening once you get there then, if you think that people are actually behaving any differently in the Atlantic provinces. I would assume the opposite if anything - given the low case count in their bubble, people are more likely to be going about life as usual. The worse things are, the more alert people are; and vice versa.

Atlantic Canada's "success" versus the rest of Canada has nothing to do with better policies or behaviour, and everything to do with being a less populated, less globally connected, more rural place - and largely just the luck of the draw that they didn't experience any super spreader events early on.

I'm beginning to think that's true of the entire world. The relatively low density, low physically connected places have had the least trouble. If the population is low and the sophistication relatively high so that contact tracing and testing are feasible, that helps a lot too. In some cases it may have been dumb luck--for example the fact that this disease struck in late winter when Sweden, for example, probably doesn't have a lot of tourists.

Things like masks and distancing probably do reduce transmission substantially but that "flattens the curve" without shrinking the area under it. Without a vaccine, we'd eventually all get infected (well, most of us). Delaying that does have advantages, though, because aside from the vaccine, some more effective treatments such as monoclonal antibodies are probably coming online.

iheartthed Sep 24, 2020 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9051618)
Gonna have to prove you're negative before getting on a plane?

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKCN26E0RT

I would feel a lot better about flying before a vaccine if they're able to do this. This pandemic is the longest I've gone without getting on a plane in 10+ years, but I've pretty much ruled flying out until there is a vaccine.