SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

spyguy Jun 22, 2007 9:34 PM

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=325413

Chicago gets OK to raze buildings for O'Hare expansion

By Justin Kmitch
Posted Friday, June 22, 2007

Chicago’s bulldozers, long threatening at Bensenville’s border, today have been given judicial clearance to begin their work on Thursday.

DuPage County Circuit Judge Stephen Culliton, during a closed-chambers session this morning, declined to prohibit Chicago from beginning demolition on the 437 residential and commercial properties. The city bought the properties to make room for the expansion of O'Hare International Airport.

The city sent a letter to Bensenville officials Monday including a 10-day notice of intent to start demolition.

“There have been numerous break-ins, vandalism and theft of city-owned property, additional incidents of fly-dumping, and an assault on a property manager,” said O'Hare Modernization Program Executive Director Rosemarie Andolino. “Therefore, it is imperative that demolition activities start immediately in order to remove those structures that may harbor illegal activities and provide an unsafe environment.”

Bensenville attorney Joseph Karaganis argued against the demolition moving forward because Chicago hasn’t applied for permits from the village. Bensenville law calls for special health and safety requirements to be followed.

“Chicago has not shown any intent to cooperate with our ordinances,” Karaganis said following today’s hearing. “So we intend to enforce our ordinance to the extent of the law.”

Chicago2020 Jun 22, 2007 9:37 PM

Finally!!!! Lets get this thing done as soon as possible.

I think now is the time for the City to release renderings of O'Hare after whole modernization

Chicago2020 Jun 22, 2007 9:38 PM

dp

nomarandlee Jun 23, 2007 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago2020 (Post 2913571)
Finally!!!! Lets get this thing done as soon as possible.

I think now is the time for the City to release renderings of O'Hare after whole modernization

That would be nice for sure. I get a sense that we will not see those for a few years at least though. They will probably not release much detailed plans until the nearing of each phase I am guessing.

ardecila Jun 24, 2007 10:03 AM

There's a 25-page-thick set of HUGE drawings at the Des Plaines Library, showing the extent of the OMP. I was there to grab a book for a Latin research paper, and I noticed/thumbed through the plans. The thing was very impressive. and it included the circumferential highway, new runways, western access highway, new interchange, and even some terminal renovation stuff.

nomarandlee Jun 24, 2007 12:32 PM

That sounds very intreasting. I just may have to go check that out. I wonder if any other libraries around the area would have that as well. In what section did you find the drawings ardecila?

ardecila Jun 24, 2007 7:09 PM

To be honest, I can't remember exactly where it was. The library is right next to the train station, on the south side of the tracks. It's a 3-4 story building, with a large atrium. If I remember correctly, it was right next to the atrium stairs on an upper story. Just go up the stairs and look around a little bit near each landing. If you can't find it, ask a librarian - in my experience, they are quite friendly and helpful.

VivaLFuego Jun 24, 2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 2915695)
There's a 25-page-thick set of HUGE drawings at the Des Plaines Library, showing the extent of the OMP. I was there to grab a book for a Latin research paper, and I noticed/thumbed through the plans. The thing was very impressive. and it included the circumferential highway, new runways, western access highway, new interchange, and even some terminal renovation stuff.

Just to add a tidbit, the Western access includes both:
1) the Western bypass, e.g. the circumferential highway, along York Rd, and
2) the extension of the Elgin-O'hare eastward (finally) and into the airport.

The 'interesting' part of this is that #2 above will likely be designed with to allow for a light rail line either in the median or on the side of the ROW, that would connect to the 290 extension and run between Schaumburg and O'hare (such a light rail line is apparently highly favored by the mayors in that area). The light rail would link up with the STAR line in Schaumburg, and the entire expressway+light rail project would include revised local plans and zoning (i.e. think some TOD and even, gasp, office park infill!). This all just preliminary of course, and the money for the light rail is nowhere in sight, but the planning and feasability study are underway and the suburban pols are mostly keen on this being a major transportation+land use endeavor.

Marcu Jun 25, 2007 1:50 AM

:previous:

Sounds great, but is really feasible to have a light rail line with heavy rail everywhere else in Chicagoland? What about the increase in operation costs associated with using an entierly different system? I'd be perfectly heavy with an added heavy rail line. So long as it can get done.

ardecila Jun 25, 2007 6:54 AM

I thought the STAR Line was supposed to go from Schaumburg to O'Hare along I-90. Is this intended as an additional project, or will it replace that section of the STAR Line? I hope the latter is not true... Nobody will transfer from STAR to light rail in Schaumburg just to get to O'Hare.. it doesn't compete with driving on I-90.

I could see this creating some fairly cool development in that area, especially if they go for a really modern, appealing design for the trains. Light rail on par with STL Metrolink is what I'm envisioning right now. The line, I assume, is in a very conceptual stage at this point. Is it intended to go directly to the terminals like CTA does right now?

Sorry for all the questions... I almost never hear of transit developments in my immediate area.

I have connections with the Hamiltons of Hamilton Partners, which owns a lot of office parks in the area... I'll see if I can dig anything further up.

marcu, I believe the INTENTION is to create a separate system. This way, the communities that the line would serve can create an agency that's not part of RTA, and the funding wouldn't have RTA's problems.

ardecila Jun 30, 2007 9:14 AM

Okay... here's what I don't get. How can the city own land in another municipality? A city isn't a private property owner like a developer or homeowner is. If they buy property elsewhere, don't they have the right to annex it?

Annexations were typically done previously via popular vote in the annexee area, because the city controlled the drinking water and held that over them. This time, the residents have been vacated... so no vote needs to be taken, and the city can annex it immediately. Why is Bensenville being allowed to govern this land that is now OWNED by Chicago? It makes absolutely no sense.

VivaLFuego Jun 30, 2007 2:35 PM

I hope Chicago sues Bensenville in civil court for the additional cost of all the project delays (rising construction costs, lost airline revenue due to the delay in removing flight caps, increased passenger delays, etc.) caused by this, preferably bankrupting that pointless hellhole in the process through legal costs, settlements, etc.

the urban politician Jun 30, 2007 10:21 PM

Bensenville belongs in Arkansas. Can we just move it down there?

nergie Jul 3, 2007 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukecuj (Post 2926982)
Judge stalls demolition for O’Hare expansion
By Justin Kmitch
jkmitch@dailyherald.com
Posted Friday, June 29, 2007

A DuPage County judge single-handedly shifted Chicago’s bulldozers to neutral Thursday, postponing demolition of Bensenville homes or business until late next month.

The demolition, which would make room for expansion of O’Hare International Airport, was delayed until Circuit Judge Kenneth Popejoy holds a July 25 hearing on a request for a temporary restraining order.

Bensenville attorney Joseph Karaganis filed the emergency request Thursday claiming demolition would violate village regulations and could endanger residents living in the acquisition area.

“We have said since the beginning that we did not want to have a street confrontation with the city of Chicago,” Karaganis said. “We have repeatedly asked the city to follow the rule of law. But until they walked into court today, they have been unwilling to do that.”

Karaganis said Bensenville also might ask the court for a declaratory judgment on the legality of the village’s demolition ordinance. The local law requires Chicago to prove the O’Hare project, which is at least $400 million over budget, can be built.

Chicago had sent Bensenville a notice warning that demolition could begin by Thursday.

O’Hare Modernization Program Executive Director Rosemarie Andolino released a written statement calling the latest court action a small setback.

“The city of Chicago believes it has received all of the necessary approvals, through existing state and federal laws, to proceed with demolition,” the statement read. “We are confident that once the court has had an opportunity to review the facts and issue a ruling, these demolitions can commence.”

Popejoy said he will use the next three weeks to read Bensenville’s 100-page complaint and allow Chicago a chance to respond.

Chicago has acquired or settled on 475 of the 611 Bensenville parcels it needs to expand O’Hare. About 370 of the parcels are vacant and the previous owners have relocated.

How many freaking emergency filings can this a**holes in Benseville file. I can understand Karaganis's reason for prolonging this battle $$$. But come already, can't these idiots realize they have lost and it is their stupidity that is delaying this project and causing cost overruns.

2PRUROCKS! Jul 3, 2007 8:44 PM

Of course they understand that this leads to more delays and cost overruns, it only helps them make their case that the OMP is over budget and behind schedule (even though it is largely their fault). When the headlines read "OMP over budget and behind schedule" few will read the fine print to see Bensenville's culpability.

Mr Man Jul 18, 2007 2:05 AM

Diddn't Chicago annex a part of Des Plaines? Why not do the same to Bensenville because this current lawsuit after lawsuit BS is wasting so many dollars for every party involved.

Why isn't Bensenville bankrupt yet?

the urban politician Jul 18, 2007 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukecuj (Post 2943735)
Chicago officials shrug off the criticism and trepidation the project's early setbacks have created. They maintain the project will be completed, albeit late and over budget.

"There are always different ways to reach a goal," Andolino said.

^ I really love that attitude

ardecila Jul 18, 2007 6:45 AM

Chicago -> :eat: <-Bensenville

Alliance Jul 18, 2007 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 2396505)
^ it's neccessary for chicago to move forward.

these pissant suburbs should not have the right to stand in the way of mighty chicago. suburbs are stupid and little. chicago is big and important.

if daley II had bigger balls, he'd just send in the CPD '68 convention style and "eliminate" the opposition. that would be fun to see; the mayor of EGV whipped into the bloody pulp at the end of a baton controlled by a foaming at the mouth seargent.

i think more of our regional problems need to be solved with military answers. fuck laws and the courts; it's so much quicker and more decisive when your enemy simply doesn't exist anymore.

:haha:

Republic of Chicago.:cool:

nomarandlee Jul 26, 2007 4:13 PM

Court Confirms That Airport Owned Property Not Subject To Local

COURT CONFIRMS THAT AIRPORT OWNED PROPERTY NOT SUBJECT TO LOCAL
REGULATIONS

The City of Chicago scored a victory today when the DuPage County
Circuit Court ruled that the property acquired by the City of Chicago in
the Village of Bensenville is "airport property" as defined by the
O’Hare Modernization Act, and therefore is not subject to local
regulations....

To read the entire press release and view the most up-to-date
information on the OMP, include bid package information and construction
updates.......

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...moPRelease.PDF

nomarandlee Jul 27, 2007 6:48 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4291124.story

Inside an urban ghost town
Bensenville area holdouts watch blocks empty out

By Sara Olkon | Tribune staff reporter
July 27, 2007

A cheerless silence floats over the Bensenville neighborhood that is marked for demolition. Weeds poke through asphalt driveways. A small dog's bark echoes through an entire block. At one home, Christmas lights remain strung across a rooftop. Nearby, a fire hydrant is fitted with an "out of service" sign.

The area is in the path of the massive O'Hare International Airport expansion project, a $15 billion long-term plan that expects to eat up large portions of the east end of this western suburb. Chicago and Bensenville are fighting fiercely in court over the neighborhood's future. But the reality is, most residents have already moved out; those who remain live in a virtual ghost town........

LaSalle.St.Station Jul 27, 2007 8:45 AM

hey did you happen to see the most beautifull girl in the world......

LaSalle.St.Station Jul 27, 2007 8:46 AM

^ good read, The residents of the airport zone have a better grip of eventuality then the political leadership.

Mr Man Jul 28, 2007 12:17 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...7/31454866.jpg

That's a pretty big area.

nomarandlee Jul 28, 2007 12:25 AM

Judge's Order Clarifies Work Omp May Perform On Bensenville Property

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...eOMPRuling.PDF

JUDGE'S ORDER CLARIFIES WORK OMP MAY PERFORM ON BENSENVILLE PROPERTY
ACQUIRED BY CHICAGO

Today DuPage County Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Popejoy expanded on and
clarified his Court Order of Wednesday, July 25th regarding the property
acquired in Bensenville by the O’Hare Modernization Program (OMP).

To read the entire press release and view the most up-to-date
information on the OMP, include bid package information and construction
updates, please visit www.OHareModernization.org

Chicago2020 Jul 28, 2007 12:56 PM

^^^Thank You^^^

Now lets just finish this thing before 2016 and make O'Hare one of the best airports in the world

nomarandlee Aug 12, 2007 10:09 AM

City to install travel kiosks at Midway, O'Hare

I remember people throwing around this idea (I think over at SSC) a long time ago. Good to see the idea is getting pushed

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/t...cago12.article

Quote:

City to install travel kiosks at Midway, O'Hare

August 12, 2007
CHICAGO --

..........The kiosks also have a multilingual touch screen monitor with airport transportation information, and an overhead plasma monitor with information about the accessibility of Chicago's tourist attractions.

The Chicago Department of Aviation says nine of these units will be installed at O'Hare and two more are planned for Midway. The department says they'll begin installing the kiosks in the coming months and expect to have all the units in place by early 2008.

-AP

BVictor1 Aug 22, 2007 5:24 PM

CHICAGO TO ANNEX PART OF FRANKLIN PARK
Tuesday, September 4 at 9 AM

Notice is hereby given that the City Council's Committee on Aviation will meet to consider an ordinance authorizing an annexation of territory located in Franklin Park. The Committee meeting will be held at City Hall, Room 201-A, located at 121 North LaSalle Street, 2nd Floor. For more information, please call 312-744-6841 or visit http://www.chicityclerk.com/citycoun...tion090407.pdf

Chicago2020 Aug 30, 2007 8:02 PM

So whats going on with O'Hare these days???

I was there the first week of august and i saw the new tower almost completed.

nomarandlee Sep 5, 2007 4:51 AM

O'Hare can use taxes to buy land

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7993092.story
Quote:

O'Hare can use taxes to buy land
FAA approves fees for expansion

By Jon Hilkevitch | Tribune transportation reporter
September 5, 2007

Chicago reached a major milestone Tuesday by receiving federal approval to collect almost $1.3 billion in future air passenger ticket taxes to expand O'Hare International Airport.

In addition to getting help paying for new runways, the approval permits the city to use the ticket taxes to help pay for increases in the cost of acquiring land. The airlines strongly oppose using ticket taxes for land acquisition................

nomarandlee Sep 14, 2007 8:51 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...i_tab01_layout

Quote:

Court sides with Chicago on grave-moving plan
O'Hare expansion foes vow to continue fight

By Russell Working and Gary Washburn | Tribune staff reporters
10:15 PM CDT, September 13, 2007

Chicago's plans to uproot a church cemetery to expand O'Hare International Airport survived an appeal to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals today, narrowing options for opponents who claim it violates the 1st Amendment's guarantees of religious freedom.

But a dissent in a 3-1 decision by a panel of judges left opponents with hope they could raise the issue with the full court of appeals, and even the U.S. Supreme Court.

The appellate court said the city was within its rights to relocate the 158-year-old St. Johannes Cemetery in Bensenville to make room for additional runways. The decision follows a similar one by the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington last year in a case also brought by the church................

bnk Oct 2, 2007 3:03 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...5423821.column

State to hold talks on expanding roadway to O'Hare
western access

Jon Hilkevitch

Getting Around

October 1, 2007

Talks between the state and two dozen municipalities are scheduled to begin this week on extending the eastern portion of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway now that the Chicago-versus-suburbs fight over expanding O'Hare International Airport is at least somewhat settled

Marcu Oct 2, 2007 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 3087119)

western access

Jon Hilkevitch

Getting Around

October 1, 2007

Talks between the state and two dozen municipalities are scheduled to begin this week on extending the eastern portion of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway now that the Chicago-versus-suburbs fight over expanding O'Hare International Airport is at least somewhat settled

Maybe one day the Elgin-O'Hare expressway will go to both Elgin and O'Hare, seeing as that now it doesn't go to either.

Am I correct to assume that unless the blue line is extended, much of the new portion of O'Hare will not be readily accessable from the current stop without an airport tram transfer?

VivaLFuego Oct 2, 2007 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcu (Post 3087490)
Maybe one day the Elgin-O'Hare expressway will go to both Elgin and O'Hare, seeing as that now it doesn't go to either.

Am I correct to assume that unless the blue line is extended, much of the new portion of O'Hare will not be readily accessable from the current stop without an airport tram transfer?

Yeah. There have been murmurs that part of Phase II or III of the OMP will include extensions at both ends of the ATS, at one end extending 1/2 mile north to the O'hare Transfer Metra station and a new large remote parking garage, and at the other going underground and heading west to the new terminal. Who knows if any of that will actually happen.

nomarandlee Nov 11, 2007 8:03 AM

FAA softens stance on O'Hare flights caps

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...i_tab01_layout

FAA softens stance on O'Hare flights caps
End to flight caps may be phased in
By Jon Hilkevitch and Bob Secter | Tribune staff reporters
November 11, 2007

The Federal Aviation Administration said Saturday that it "may consider a phased approach" next year to possibly ending restrictions on the number of planes permitted to land at O'Hare International Airport, which has the worst on-time performance of any airport in the U.S.

But the agency did not issue a guarantee or a timetable. It said the decision will be based on an FAA assessment of whether O'Hare could smoothly handle the extra flights that airlines would be free to schedule.

..............The Daley administration initially said the airport project would be finished in 2013, but it is behind schedule. Lacking airline agreements and still fighting expansion opponents in court, the city has not set a date for the project's completion. The extension of flight caps would severely complicate Chicago's effort to pay for the expansion, which is at least $400 million over budget. .................

forumly_chgoman Nov 11, 2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 3087119)

western access

Jon Hilkevitch

Getting Around

October 1, 2007

great more roadway for car/suv driving oil suckers & nothing for cta / rta / metra...makes a lot of sense

jpIllInoIs Nov 12, 2007 2:01 PM

The Western By-Pass is good news for O'Hare and Chicago. It was part of a deal brokered 7-8 years ago, that broke the back of the Anti OHare group. When the Northern Dupage towns realized that the threat of a new south suburban airport would be bad for business in their villages, they got on board with Daley and agreed to support O'Hare if the Long Planned western By-Pass was completed. This deal culminated in the complete dissintigration of the suburban alliance against OHare. Every single town and the County board swung to support OHare expansion except Bensenville and Elk Grove.

In the real world politics, comprimise and consensus building is more effective than stomping feet and blanket rejections. Not to mention, more access to OHare keeps OHare more in demand and more vital.

Marcu Nov 12, 2007 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman (Post 3159816)
great more roadway for car/suv driving oil suckers & nothing for cta / rta / metra...makes a lot of sense

Whoever Hilkevitch's contact is re O"Hare modernization does not have much credibility after the flight cap story.

nomarandlee Nov 12, 2007 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 3161582)

In the real world politics, comprimise and consensus building is more effective than stomping feet and blanket rejections. Not to mention, more access to OHare keeps OHare more in demand and more vital.

True, also it would had made the realization of a west terminal much harder I would think. It also would help clear up traffic on 90 and 290 which should be more for commute traffic. I don't really see the need to extend it all the way to Elgin some day but I do see the merit in running it to O'Hare.

VivaLFuego Nov 12, 2007 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 3161582)
The Western By-Pass is good news for O'Hare and Chicago. It was part of a deal brokered 7-8 years ago, that broke the back of the Anti OHare group. When the Northern Dupage towns realized that the threat of a new south suburban airport would be bad for business in their villages, they got on board with Daley and agreed to support O'Hare if the Long Planned western By-Pass was completed. This deal culminated in the complete dissintigration of the suburban alliance against OHare. Every single town and the County board swung to support OHare expansion except Bensenville and Elk Grove.

spot on.

ardecila Nov 12, 2007 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman (Post 3159816)

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. A new western access road allows for the possibility of a light-rail link between O'Hare, Elk Grove, and Schaumburg (which has been whispered around).

Light-rail, I believe, would be a lot less costly than the O'Hare connection of the STAR Line (which is Metra's responsibility, and therefore unlikely).

Mr Man Nov 13, 2007 3:13 AM

I heard through the grapevine that O'Hare will get two more terminal buildings: T4 and T6.

Good look getting from Terminal 3-L to future T6. :haha:

I also hear a new arrival/depature building is being built on York Rd, which will serve as a western access into O'Hare.

Mr Man Nov 13, 2007 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 3024700)
CHICAGO TO ANNEX PART OF FRANKLIN PARK
Tuesday, September 4 at 9 AM

Notice is hereby given that the City Council's Committee on Aviation will meet to consider an ordinance authorizing an annexation of territory located in Franklin Park. The Committee meeting will be held at City Hall, Room 201-A, located at 121 North LaSalle Street, 2nd Floor. For more information, please call 312-744-6841 or visit http://www.chicityclerk.com/citycoun...tion090407.pdf

Any more word on this?

Mr Man Nov 13, 2007 3:38 PM

Warning, PDF. :rolleyes:

http://www.bechtel.com/PDF/Avaiation_Chicago.pdf - Rendering
http://www.suburban-ohare.org/detail.asp?OBJECT_ID=625

O'Hare plans change on the fly

By Fran Spielman City Hall Reporter

O'Hare Airport's soon-to-be-built Terminal 6 will have its own four-story parking garage--with sorely needed, close-in space for 2,600 cars--thanks to a design upgrade included in Mayor Daley's $3.2 billion World Gateway expansion project.

While a pricier indoor garage and four more wide-body, international gates are being added, the Daley administration is saving millions by shelving plans to relocate the airport's heating and refrigeration plant.

The plant was supposed to be moved to make way for a new Terminal 4 to be built during the second phase of World Gateway.

Instead, the underground tunnel system that currently ends at Terminal 5 will be extended beneath the airport roadway to Terminal 6 to bring in heated and chilled water from the existing plant. The subterranean work can be done without disrupting traffic on the airport roadway.

"It was the cost benefit and the potential for disrupting utilities that need to be in place for the airport to continue to function," Aviation Commissioner Thomas Walker said. "This lowers our risk. We already have to relocate flight kitchens, cargo facilities and the [people mover]. We're trying to steer clear of long delays by minimizing the number of facilities that have to be demolished and relocated."

Ever since the post-Sept. 11 travel slowdown--and, more recently, the agreement between Mayor Daley and Gov. Ryan to build new runways and a new west terminal at O'Hare--there has been speculation that World Gateway would be downsized.

Walker stressed that the design changes do not not mean the second new terminal is being shelved. A new Terminal 4 could still be built around the heating and cooling plant, sources said.

"No decision has been made about Phase Two. We'll see what happens when we get there," the commissioner said.

In September 2000, United and American Airlines signed on to the World Gateway plan and its new system of assigning gates on a "preferential" instead of an exclusive basis.

The agreement wrapped up months of contentious negotiations that saw City Hall agree to phase in the project and assume a greater share of the financial burden. The airline ticket tax was subsequently raised--from $3 to $4.50 per passenger--to accommodate the change.

One year later, the largest single contract in Chicago history--to build an $800 million to $1 billion terminal--was awarded to a company represented by Victor Reyes, Mayor Daley's newly retired political enforcer.

The winning team was asked to design and build a 550,000-square-foot terminal adjacent to the International Terminal.

The project also includes: an extension of the O'Hare people mover system; improvements to the airport's upper- and lower-level roadways and construction of a temporary terminal extension, an aircraft apron strip, a pedestrian bridge and a staging area for snow removal.

Since then, 10 to 15 percent of the design work has been completed and major alterations have been made.

Chief among them is the decision to replace a 500-space surface parking lot with a four-story, 2,600-space parking garage that will bolster the number of enclosed parking spaces at O'Hare by 34 percent. The airport currently has 24,094 spaces, only 7,684 are located under cover at the main garage.

"We have plenty of space in remote lots accessed by the people mover. But what this new structure will provide is more adjacent spaces for those passengers who would rather come a little later, park a little closer and go directly to the terminals," Walker said.

"We're always looking to maximize features that customers believe make an airport more user-friendly. Close-in, convenient, relatively inexpensive parking is one of those things."

At the same time, the city is seeking to reclaim 1,673 close-in spaces in O'Hare's main parking garage by asking the federal government to relax a 300-foot rule imposed after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The Daley administration has also directed its design team to include four more "swing gates" capable of accommodating wider-body jets used to service international flights. Initial plans called for Terminal 6 to include 15 new gates, but only two of the extra-large variety needed to receive overseas passengers.

The revised plan would bring the number of wide-body gates to six. That will give the airlines maximum flexibility to accommodate projected growth in international travel.

An airline executive, who asked to remain anonymous, praised City Hall for being flexible enough to accommodate changing needs.

"World Gateway is a work-in-progress," the airline official said. "The whole thing was set up in a conceptual way. They tried to plan it, but as times and needs change, it has to be changed. Parking is a very hot commodity. And accommodating wider jets is a good idea. That's what the needs of the future are."

T6-Partners, the joint-venture led by Bechtel Infrastructure Corp., is scheduled to complete 30 percent of the design work by December. By that time, the city hopes to have nailed down a construction financing agreement and specifics of the new preferential gate assignments with major airlines.

Mr Man Nov 13, 2007 3:41 PM

Preliminary Design for New Terminal 5 on York Rd.
http://www.airport-technology.com/pr...h-airfield.jpg

honte Nov 13, 2007 4:57 PM

^ Exciting.

Can someone please remind me who the architects are for the new terminals?

ih8spires Nov 13, 2007 8:36 PM

I understand the future runway layout but the location of the new terminals and how you are going to get to and from them has confused me. Is there going to be some underground tram from the main complex to the West Terminal? Right now Terminal 5 is the international terminal. Now I see the rendering for terminal 5 on the west side of the field (thanks Mr. Man for the rendering) on York road. And what is the "World Gateway?" I need to see a map if there is one to figure this out.

Nowhereman1280 Nov 13, 2007 9:06 PM

That T5 design reminds me of a white version of the the gorgeous Madrid Airport. I absolutely love this color and style, Spanish architects are the best!

From Wikipedia:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._interior1.JPG

k1052 Nov 13, 2007 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ih8spires (Post 3164825)
I understand the future runway layout but the location of the new terminals and how you are going to get to and from them has confused me. Is there going to be some underground tram from the main complex to the West Terminal? Right now Terminal 5 is the international terminal. Now I see the rendering for terminal 5 on the west side of the field (thanks Mr. Man for the rendering) on York road. And what is the "World Gateway?" I need to see a map if there is one to figure this out.

The ATS will have to be expanded to the new terminal.

Mr Man Nov 13, 2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ih8spires (Post 3164825)

The new West Terminal/Terminal 6/World Gateway (all the same thing I believe) will be located here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=16&om=1

The Elgin-O'Hare expressway will be extended to the corner of Throndale and York Rd. Also, a new interstate bypass (O'Hare Ring Road) will begin @ I-90 and connect with the new Elgin-O'Hare extension then end at I-290.

http://www.suburban-ohare.org/object...road_color.jpg
http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wls/...4_ohare_st.jpg

The new terminal building will be connected underground to the other terminal buildings on the other side of the airport. I have no idea where the new Terminal 4 building will be going though. Chicago has gone construction mad!