SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

iheartthed Mar 23, 2020 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8871162)
For a developed western country, especially a very large one, we seem about average. One problem we are having is our form of government. Parliamentary systems, in which the head of government has a majority in the legislature, can pass stimulus measures and so forth a lot more quickly and with less mess than we can.

I guess if you define average as on track to having the most infections in the world, then yeah, I'd agree. We will have as many confirmed cases as China in about two weeks, and we'll probably still be growing substantially.

Crawford Mar 23, 2020 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8871177)
Just got laid off.

Whole firm (architecture) packing it in.

Our three biggest clients all said they have no ability to pay us their debts and all current and future projects are immediately dead in the water.

Great Depression 2.0 here we come.

I'm sorry, Steely. Best to you and your family.

JManc Mar 23, 2020 5:37 PM

Sorry to hear Steely. Very concerning to hear more and more people here on this forum losing their jobs or on the verge of losing them. :(

MonkeyRonin Mar 23, 2020 5:38 PM

Quote:

Just got laid off.

Our three biggest clients all said they have no ability to pay us their debts and all current and future projects are immediately dead in the water.

That sucks, it is at least a temporary layoff and you'll be back in business once things get up and running again?

sopas ej Mar 23, 2020 5:42 PM

Quote:

Just got laid off.

Very sorry to hear that, man! Don't let it get you down.

Apply for that unemployment, and any other benefits you qualify for. That's what they're for! Use the resources that are available to you.

I wish you and your family the best!

sopas ej Mar 23, 2020 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8871141)
South Korea was light years better prepared than us. Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, hell, even China and they didn't have the luxury of a warning. There is absolutely no excuse for the United States to have been so unprepared. I don't care what Europe is doing.

From what I've read online from Time Magazine and other sources, those Asian countries were better prepared because they already went through SARS, and had things in place ready for the next pandemic. Same with some African nations and Ebola.

Pedestrian Mar 23, 2020 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8870909)
I don't understand why people think that the O&G industry is seriously screwed. Screwed in the short-term? No doubt. But in the long-term? absolutely not.

Life as we know it will go back to normal, therefore gas usage will go back to normal. Not only that, I think there will be a huge surge in gas usage right after all this is over as people rebook trips etc. Also, people like me who never owned O&G stocks now do because I see some medium-term profit from them.

The thinking goes that by the time the short term supply excess resolves itself (which most people agree it eventually will as firms which can't make money at these prices stop pumping and everybody stops drilling new wells), we will be in a serious demand downslope because of the ramp up in renewable power, electric vehicles and so on.

iheartthed Mar 23, 2020 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8871256)
From what I've read online from Time Magazine and other sources, those Asian countries were better prepared because they already went through SARS, and had things in place ready for the next pandemic. Same with some African nations and Ebola.

Yes, exactly. But the bottom line is that this did not need to happen. What is happening in the United States today was absolutely avoidable.

Pedestrian Mar 23, 2020 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8871227)
I guess if you define average as on track to having the most infections in the world, then yeah, I'd agree. We will have as many confirmed cases as China in about two weeks, and we'll probably still be growing substantially.

I not only think you may be wrong about that but I disagree that we can be compared to China since we are a very different society. In China, if you disobey the government, they can and might shoot you. When they say stay home, they mean it. People have gotten out reports of fences being erected around their apartment buildings. Nothing like that can happen here. It's not about being prepared. China was NOT except to the degree that an authoritarian society is always better prepared to do what the government demands than a democratic one.

SIGSEGV Mar 23, 2020 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8871226)
Wow, really sorry to hear that! This is a scary time.

My company is forcing us to come into the office, albeit on different day shifts, despite being non-essential (marketing) and having the ability to work from home (we all have work laptops, access to network, etc). A little frustrating, at this point I think it's incredibly irresponsible to not do everything we can to end this as quickly as possible.

Here's the guidance from Illinois:

Quote:

What if I am unsure whether my business should be open or closed?
Essential businesses will remain open during the Stay at Home order to provide services that are vital to the lives of Illinoisans. Those businesses include, but are not limited to, pharmacies, certain government offices, day care centers that provide care for the children of essential employees, and restaurants providing take-out meals. If you work for an essential business, you should continue to practice social distancing and should stay at home outside of work hours. If you believe your business is nonessential but are still being asked to show up to work, you may discuss with your employer. Businesses and employees with questions can call the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity COVID-19 hotline at 1-800-252-2923 or email CEO.support@illinois.gov.

sopas ej Mar 23, 2020 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8871265)
Yes, exactly. But the bottom line is that this did not need to happen. What is happening in the United States today was absolutely avoidable.

I totally agree with you. The US had months to prepare and take this pandemic very seriously from the beginning, instead of downplaying it like the current payasos in power were doing earlier on. They should have already been banning travel to/from Asia way in the beginning when this broke out. But the Prez is a businessman and most everyone in Congress are corporatists, so everything is looked at from the angle of "it'll be good/bad for business."

iheartthed Mar 23, 2020 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8871266)
I not only think you may be wrong about that but I disagree that we can be compared to China since we are a very different society. In China, if you disobey the government, they can and might shoot you. When they say stay home, they mean it. People have gotten out reports of fences being erected around their apartment buildings. Nothing like that can happen here. It's not about being prepared. China was NOT except to the degree that an authoritarian society is always better prepared to do what the government demands than a democratic one.

Cases double roughly every week. We're at 40,000 cases today. China is around 80,000 cases and has substantially slowed the spread to almost nothing. The math is simple.

SIGSEGV Mar 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Quote:

Just got laid off.

Sorry to hear that. Scary to think how many places are running with basically no reserves.

10023 Mar 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8871275)
Here's the guidance from Illinois:

How can they possibly not include grocery stores? Is everyone supposed to eat takeout?

Crawford Mar 23, 2020 6:07 PM

Grocery stores are open in CA and NY. I can't imagine any place would order groceries closed.

iheartthed Mar 23, 2020 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8871281)
I totally agree with you. The US had months to prepare and take this pandemic very seriously from the beginning, instead of downplaying it like the current payasos in power were doing earlier on. They should have already been banning travel to/from Asia way in the beginning when this broke out. But the Prez is a businessman and most everyone in Congress are corporatists, so everything is looked at from the angle of "it'll be good/bad for business."

They should have also been aggressively testing. They completely fumbled the early opportunities to contain the spread here in the U.S. because they didn't want to use the World Health Org's test for some asinine reason. Then they completely screwed up the CDC test, which cost more valuable time. That basically left the states to fend for themselves in figuring out how to diagnose this. The reason why New York is able to test so many people is that they are using their own tests, not the CDCs.

chris08876 Mar 23, 2020 6:09 PM

Quote:

Just got laid off.

:(

Sorry to hear Steely as well. I wish the best of luck to you and your family. My regards. :(

Pedestrian Mar 23, 2020 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8871296)
Grocery stores are open in CA and NY. I can't imagine any place would order groceries closed.

I can imagine it--they could require them to deliver only and close the stores to walk-ins--but they would almost have to then compensate customers for delivery charges and the stores for hiring more delivery people which they would have to do.

isaidso Mar 23, 2020 6:11 PM

Returned to Toronto from Australia so on Day 3 of self isolation. The wait for food using a delivery company was 4 days so I asked a friend. She dropped off 4 bags of groceries this morning.

Acajack Mar 23, 2020 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8871301)
I can imagine it--they could require them to deliver only and close the stores to walk-ins--but they would almost have to then compensate customers for delivery charges and the stores for hiring more delivery people which they would have to do.

In other countries (even Italy) grocery stores have remained open though with guards who only let people in a few at a time.

Outside the people waiting in line have to keep 2 m apart.