SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Acajack Oct 22, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 9082096)
Pretty similar to my situation. I consider myself one of the luckiest possible people around as far as covid goes. But it's still caused a bunch of problems, the most serious being difficulties with visiting family members. I think the elderly family members have been hit the hardest with loneliness. I don't know of anybody in my social circle who has gotten covid but I know a few people who lost their jobs.

I've also noticed I have a lot of friends I used to occasionally see when out doing things I no longer do, and it's hard to organize life now in a way that preserves those relationships. That was not a big deal for the first month or two but I wonder what will be left of these social ties across our society 6 months from now.

When all of this first started and we were locked down everyone was gung ho with virtual meetups. We had a large Zoom call at Easter with tons of aunts and uncles and cousins on it. We also had virtual "5 à 7" (after dinner dinner drinks) meetups with several of our friends and groups of friends. Then things opened up a bit and were allowed to go to restaurants with small groups. We went out with another couple a few times with a few couples. Had a few people over for lunch or dinner, and went over to a few people's places too. We had some online social activities at work as well.

But now everything seems to be slowly fizzling out both in-person (which has been tightened up again) and virtual. We only very sporadically share news with friends we'd normally see every couple of weeks.

I am not saying we will end up completely friendless, but I can see a significant number of my friendships not surviving this. I mean, you always lose touch with friends during the course of your life (temporarily or permanently) but this is going to accentuate that phenom exponentially istm.

I also have a "club" I am part of, if I can call it that, with very enthusiastic motivated members (or we were). Initially we congregated virtually a couple of times a week (more than usual), and then we resumed in person once a week when we were allowed to this summer. We had lost some members though already then. Now we're back in lockdown and we've been trying to start things up virtually again and no one really seems into it.

Steely Dan Oct 22, 2020 9:01 PM

I haven't done a big friends or family zoom thing in months. That shit got old.

Humans require actual social interaction. At least I do anyway.

The virtual zoom stuff tided over a lot of folks for a time, but the novelty eventually wore off and then the realization of its half-assed-ness set in and only made it that much more depressing.

Stay Stoked Brah Oct 22, 2020 9:08 PM

my brother flew to Mexico today. he said he bought the tickets back in April. he's the second person in my family to fly. an in-law of mine had to see his ailing dad in the hospital, not related to covid

Acajack Oct 22, 2020 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9082417)

The virtual zoom stuff tided over a lot of folks for a time, but the novelty eventually wore off and then the realization of its half-assed-ness set in and only made it that much more depressing.

I see we are not the only ones.

The "deconfinement" we went through in the summer, followed by a "reconfinement" this fall as the 2nd wave hit, has had a devastating impact. No one seems to want to bother themselves much any more.

We're down to work colleagues (virtually) and the immediate family circle in terms of our regular social interactions. The occasional message or text to friends but even that seems to be drying up.

mhays Oct 22, 2020 9:48 PM

We failed to get it down low enough in the summer, which is a big factor in the current spike, which now requires some things to close again. There's a good chance of no federal aid until January. This is going to be bad.

And then we'll get a period where a vaccine exists but is still ramping up, but people get "light at the end of the tunnel" syndrome and stop being vigilant.

LA21st Oct 22, 2020 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9082447)

The "deconfinement" we went through in the summer, followed by a "reconfinement" this fall as the 2nd wave hit, has had a devastating impact. No one seems to want to bother themselves much any more.

We're down to work colleagues (virtually) and the immediate family circle in terms of our regular social interactions. The occasional message or text to friends but even that seems to be drying up.

I still text alot. :shrug::haha:

the urban politician Oct 22, 2020 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9082417)

Yep

homebucket Oct 22, 2020 10:11 PM

Do people not hang out outdoors anymore? You can still see your friends at the park, or in your backyard, at the golf course or tennis club. You can still have plenty of social interaction 6 feet apart, and if you're outdoors you can probably get even closer if you wanted to. I see people playing soccer and basketball all the time now.

LA21st Oct 22, 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9082519)
Do people not hang out outdoors anymore? You can still see your friends at the park, or in your backyard, at the golf course or tennis club. You can still have plenty of social interaction 6 feet apart, and if you're outdoors you can probably get even closer if you wanted to. I see people playing soccer and basketball all the time now.

I have some friends who won't even hike. I tell them it's safe, but their girlfriends don't trust it.

I've done some backyard stuff 5-7 people. its doable, but it feels risky.

mrnyc Oct 22, 2020 10:28 PM

i mean who needs smell anyway its a useless sense:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...s/coronavirus/

suburbanite Oct 22, 2020 10:29 PM

I imagine you would have had to be a pretty big hypochondriac to begin with if you're a young person afraid to hike outside because of Covid. If you were a regular active person before and now you're actually harming yourself by avoiding perfectly safe exercise, than I think the media has done you a great disservice by highlighting every freak case of a young person dying. I wear a mask literally everywhere and social distance, and will continue to do so indefinitely to slow down spread and protect others, but I'm not going to lock myself away and physiologically damage myself like it's the zombie apocalypse.

the urban politician Oct 22, 2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

January

Upper Midwest

There is no such thing as “outdoors” unless you are either sledding, skiing, walking from your car to the store, or ice fishing

Acajack Oct 22, 2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Sports are one thing but typically my activities with my friends don't involve just standing around in a park with six feet separating all of the participants.

I guess it's better than nothing, and I've done it (in backyards) over the summer, but there is something that feels psychologically stifling about no longer having the natural, spontaneous human interactions we've lived with our entire lives.

Plus much of U.S. and all of Canada is now entering the part of the year where backyard and park socializing becomes way less common.

mrnyc Oct 22, 2020 10:50 PM

i wonder how the 'rona is going to take to all these restaurant streeteries now that the heat lamps are coming out and they are getting all enclosed? :shrug:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/5f...1ed42d703a.jpg

homebucket Oct 22, 2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9082545)
Sports are one thing but typically my activities with my friends don't involve just standing around in a park with six feet separating all of the participants.

I guess it's better than nothing, and I've done it (in backyards) over the summer, but there is something that feels psychologically stifling about no longer having the natural, spontaneous human interactions we've lived with our entire lives.

Plus much of U.S. and all of Canada is now entering the part of the year where backyard and park socializing becomes way less common.

I imagine outdoor fire pits should sell well this year then.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CXy5Cs1FG...26_preview.png

Acajack Oct 22, 2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9082581)
I imagine outdoor fire pits should sell well this year then.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CXy5Cs1FG...26_preview.png

Yeah, we'll have to give that a try!

JManc Oct 22, 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9082447)

And how can anyone beyond social recluses think this is healthy?

My mom was a therapist until retirement last year but recently went back to work because the fuck ton of job offers and the impact Covid has had on mental health.

Steely Dan Oct 22, 2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Do people not hang out outdoors anymore?

oh yeah, we still do some outdoor socializing, i was specifically talking about how lame all of the zoom shit eventually came to be for me.

but now that november is knocking on the door in chicago, outdoor socializing is going to get few and far between as people hole up for the winter.

we're supposed to go to a friend's small backyard gathering for a b-day party this saturday night, but temps are forecast to be in the low 40s.

my guess is that the gathering will be fairly short-lived. most people in chicago (everywhere) are absolute wimps when it comes to chilly weather.

Pedestrian Oct 22, 2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9082615)
oh yeah, we still do some outdoor socializing, i was specifically talking about how lame all of the zoom shit eventually came to be for me.

but now that november is knocking on the door in chicago, outdoor socializing is going to get few and far between as people hole up for the winter.

we're supposed to go to a friend's small backyard gathering for a b-day party this saturday night, but temps are forecast to be in the low 40s.

my guess is that the gathering will be fairly short-lived. most people in chicago (everywhere) are absolute wimps when it comes to chilly weather.

This is why I'll be interested in how the disease goes in Arizona. It would seem like the pattern in most of the country should be reversed since the weather in summer is hotter than H*ll and everybody hides indoors in their A/C but just about now it's getting really nice and will pretty much stay that way through next spring--great for outdoor dining and other activities. Time to get out and wave at the neighbors.

niwell Oct 23, 2020 1:31 PM

I'm still going to patios with a select group of friends in our bubble (7 of us total, no family at all in the city) - it can get quite cold but most have heat lamps now and bundling up helps. Wonder how long we can keep it up... We're comfortable hanging out inside but it's nice to be able to go to a bar instead of someone's living room.

Tried to get a heat lamp but they are sold out pretty much everywhere. Our backyard is more or less entirely a wooden deck so not sure how well one of the propane fire pits would work.