SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef May 4, 2018 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 8175775)
Just took light rail to Camelback and Central. They are fencing off the SWC of the intersection. Talked to a guy working on the fence. He said right now all they are doing is putting in a diagonal pathway from the train station to the corner on the Intersection and then holding to build. Seems like a lot of fencing for just that.

I noticed the fencing this morning. This time it's not only the triangular parcel at the corner, but also the transit center driveways and bus bays behind the triangle. If I remember correctly, the plan was for the triangle and the strip behind it to become one development site.

ASUSunDevil May 4, 2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177186)

That's perfect - Phoenix will be a 'real city' just before 2023.

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 11:13 PM

After reading this article, I have to ask...is AZ Central out of their damn mind?? Actually placing spots like Mesa-Gateway airport and I-17/Loop 303 as potential new stadium options for the D-Backs? What is the author of this article thinking?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...nix/577975002/

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 8177339)
That's perfect - Phoenix will be a 'real city' just before 2023.

Phoenix is already a real city. I just hate critics from other cities that think Phoenix is nothing but a desert 'burb with nothing to do.

Obadno May 4, 2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177347)
Phoenix is already a real city. I just hate critics from other cities that think Phoenix is nothing but a desert 'burb with nothing to do.

Go to city discussions “your city’s “Beverly hills”” and watch as many east coast chauvinists get confused by my post about paradise valley, bultmore and Arcadia.

CrestedSaguaro May 4, 2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8177351)
Go to city discussions “your city’s “Beverly hills”” and watch as many east coast chauvinists get confused by my post about paradise valley, bultmore and Arcadia.

A lot of people back East just don't understand anything about Phoenix (and what it has become over the last 20 years). The parents and grand-parents that visited here back in the 70's and 80's still think it is the same...retirement homes, desert, sprawl and golf courses. I lot of younger people haven't visited here and go by what there parents and grand-parents tell them.

I get their confusion. When I lived here as a kid (1981-1982), I thought it was still that way until I came here for vacation in 2005. I hadn't been paying attention to Phoenix growth and couldn't believe how massive and developed the Phoenix Metro had become since I lived here as a kid! I then made it my die-hard commitment to move out here and welp...here I am!

I just don't think people from the East comprehend how a metro can grow like this. Even though I am used to it now, there are days I still think to myself "Good lord, this place is big". Since moving here, I've had 2 friends from back East visit that have never been here before and they couldn't believe how big Phoenix is. They had no idea. My parents couldn't believe it either and didn't even recognize Tempe until I pointed it out. We lived in Tempe! LOL

Obadno May 5, 2018 12:06 AM

:notacrook:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177391)
A lot of people back East just don't understand anything about Phoenix (and what it has become over the last 20 years). The parents and grand-parents that visited here back in the 70's and 80's still think it is the same...retirement homes, desert, sprawl and golf courses. I lot of younger people haven't visited here and go by what there parents and grand-parents tell them.

I get their confusion. When I lived here as a kid (1981-1982), I thought it was still that way until I came here for vacation in 2005. I hadn't been paying attention to Phoenix growth and couldn't believe how massive and developed the Phoenix Metro had become since I lived here as a kid! I then made it my die-hard commitment to move out here and welp...here I am!

I just don't think people from the East comprehend how a metro can grow like this. Even though I am used to it now, there are days I still think to myself "Good lord, this place is big". Since moving here, I've had 2 friends from back East visit that have never been here before and they couldn't believe how big Phoenix is. They had no idea. My parents couldn't believe it either and didn't even recognize Tempe until I pointed it out. We lived in Tempe! LOL

Well when we are in that big beautiful top 10 metro list they'll notice.

somethingfast May 5, 2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177341)
After reading this article, I have to ask...is AZ Central out of their damn mind?? Actually placing spots like Mesa-Gateway airport and I-17/Loop 303 as potential new stadium options for the D-Backs? What is the author of this article thinking?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...nix/577975002/

AZCentral is very lite journalism. I seriously doubt that this article is anything more than pure idle speculation. I think the smart and obvious money is on a rehab of Chase Field. Why would they leave downtown just as it's starting to happen? They could completely demolish the seating layer and put in a very spacious (and comfortable) 30,000 seats and be the best value in MLB.

CrestedSaguaro May 5, 2018 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8177410)
AZCentral is very lite journalism. I seriously doubt that this article is anything more than pure idle speculation. I think the smart and obvious money is on a rehab of Chase Field. Why would they leave downtown just as it's starting to happen? They could completely demolish the seating layer and put in a very spacious (and comfortable) 30,000 seats and be the best value in MLB.

I don't take anything in the article as more than gibberish. It's just hard to believe one of the largest Phoenix news outlets would posts such outlandish trash. I'm pretty sure some of these spots were not even looked at by Diamondbacks ownership let alone even be considered as a potential site. I agree that the Dbacks will pretty much stay in Downtown at this point. By 2023, Downtown will be fairly dense and built up.

combusean May 5, 2018 1:08 AM

It's yellow journalism: nonsense content is better than no content at all if you're a struggling newspaper looking to cash in on a manufactured controversy. This kinda garbage is possibly better about stories connected toreality yet not as enthralling for grass-chewing members of the public. Probably a slow news day and a deadline to fill.

Reagor has posted these vacant speculative pieces before, and there's nothing substantiative to the sort of pointlessness.

haux May 5, 2018 4:21 AM

Newspapers offer offbeat, speculative stories all the time. I don't think it's garbage to write about where a new stadium could go. It's a light piece.

Here's The Stewart from a different perspective.

https://i.imgur.com/7nollEv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TuBRsqU.jpg
And a tighter look.

PHXFlyer11 May 5, 2018 1:24 PM

Nice pics!

Just a massive gorgeous building. I hope we hear soon on plans for the Circles portion.

Obadno May 5, 2018 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8177727)
Just a massive gorgeous building. I hope we hear soon on plans for the Circles portion.

Absolutely thicc

somethingfast May 6, 2018 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8177425)
I don't take anything in the article as more than gibberish. It's just hard to believe one of the largest Phoenix news outlets would posts such outlandish trash. I'm pretty sure some of these spots were not even looked at by Diamondbacks ownership let alone even be considered as a potential site. I agree that the Dbacks will pretty much stay in Downtown at this point. By 2023, Downtown will be fairly dense and built up.

Exactly. Mainstream journalism is essentially. AZCentral is largely millenials trying to manufacture interest in very (if at all) limited research on any given topic when they aren't just paying to post an AP or Reteurs, etc. source. I wouldn't classify AZC as any more factual news than your nightly local TV news.

pbenjamin May 6, 2018 6:50 AM

It's a crappy article but Catherine Reagor is no millennial.

ASU Diablo May 6, 2018 7:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8178324)
It's a crappy article but Catherine Reagor is no millennial.

Not only that but the AZC won a Pulitzer this year soooo??:???:

Classical in Phoenix May 7, 2018 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8176274)
Plan Reviews filed today:
  • Plan Review for AC Hotel at Arizona Center. No additional information.
  • "Marlette 22," comprised of 22 townhomes at 719 E. Marlette. This is across the street from the Wood Partners apartment building approved last year. It looks like it would replace some more detached single family homes. It would be cool if a dense little pocket started to develop there.
  • Another plan review document for 201 W. Van Buren at the Golub Site. States it is for a "553 UNIT MIXED USE PROJECT." Can't remember if we've seen a proposed unit count before.

Does this mean that the AC Hotel and Golub are basically in the same stage of the development process? From reading the Golub agreements posted here, it sounded to me that they were much further out based on some of the timelines. I was anticipating AC Hotel or Central Park East Residential as being one of the next projects to break ground.

CrestedSaguaro May 7, 2018 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 8179169)
Does this mean that the AC Hotel and Golub are basically in the same stage of the development process? From reading the Golub agreements posted here, it sounded to me that they were much further out based on some of the timelines. I was anticipating AC Hotel or Central Park East Residential as being one of the next projects to break ground.

Not sure if you seen my post a couple weekends ago, but Central Park East should be starting soon according to the workers on-site I spoke with. I don't know what stage AC is at. Originally it was anticipated to start in March. Of course, all these projects seem to take much longer to start than they are announced to start. Still waiting on more info on Barrister too.

gymratmanaz May 7, 2018 3:05 PM

RONNIE - what is the CPE height again?

Phxguy May 7, 2018 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 8179169)

Tomorrow there is a DNA social hour meeting at Majerle's @ 5:30 discussing the 200 W Monroe (Golub) project, if anyone is interested. I'm thinking of showing my face.