SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Jan 16, 2018 11:54 PM

Just when you think nothing else will be getting announced. :yes:

I'm taking it they will be tearing down that house that sits at that block? Is there any histroy to that home? It looks like old Victorian. On a side note, there are a lot of feral cats on that property and someone sneaks inside the fence and puts buckets of dry cat food for them. Must be about 20 cats. Anyone need a kitty?? :grumpycat:

Awesome to see more on the way. Burton Barr is going to be effin' packed....whenever they reopen.

ASUSunDevil Jan 16, 2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8048982)
Some guys are going to make a lot of money on this cycle, Derby won't be one of them.

Thanks for KO'ing Biggus and his negative assumptions, Fawd.

Don't forget that The Derby will be micro-apartments offered at a substantially lower price point than the "luxury apartments of Roosevelt." Is real estate development ending in 2020? Who cares if it isn't completed until then.

If Biggus finally gets his wish and the market has a downturn, this would be the ideal project to have under construction. I don't see a lot of risk in getting these leased, even in a speculative market downturn.

biggus diggus Jan 17, 2018 1:31 AM

It's not a "KO". it's not a negative assumption, and it's certainly not my "wish" to see a down turn.

I am not stupid or making things up, you don't have to believe me. No one is claiming Matt is in charge of anything. All I'm saying is the lawsuit knocked this thing back and the chances of it being built is next to nil. If I'm wrong I'll own up to it, we have all been wrong at some point.

exit2lef Jan 17, 2018 12:50 PM

Central & Highland

So, I just read that Hula's Modern Tiki is relocating to a new location on 7th Street:

https://phoenixbites.com/2018/01/16/...hula-location/

I've read elsewhere that the move may be related to a plan to demolish the building that Hula's now occupies:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-central.html

Can anyone confirm? The Business Journal article is pretty vague about plans for the site, and I haven't heard of other nearby tenants like the Fame Caffe making similar announcements. I'm wondering if Hula is moving pre-emptively to avoid a forced relocation at some time in the future?

biggus diggus Jan 17, 2018 2:20 PM

I've always enjoyed hula. Hope they are able to avoid closing altogether which often happens in this kind of situation.

Obadno Jan 17, 2018 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8049607)
So, I just read that Hula's Modern Tiki is relocating to a new location on 7th Street:

https://phoenixbites.com/2018/01/16/...hula-location/

I've read elsewhere that the move may be related to a plan to demolish the building that Hula's now occupies:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-central.html

Can anyone confirm? The Business Journal article is pretty vague about plans for the site, and I haven't heard of other nearby tenants like the Fame Caffe making similar announcements. I'm wondering if Hula is moving pre-emptively to avoid a forced relocation at some time in the future?

I remember from quite a way back an article saying the owner wanted to develop apartments instead of a strip mall but that's all I remember. I don't think there were any solid plans.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 17, 2018 2:43 PM

Hula's won't close permanently. They get too much business and they have another location that will keep them going. I think it sucks they are relocating over to 7th though. I'd much prefer they find another spot along Central.

I'm not fond of this particular building getting demolished. It's a very unique building. Isn't it mid-century? Can someone fill me in on the building history?

AnthonyPHX Jan 17, 2018 2:44 PM

Morning gents,

Been following Phoenix development and this thread for a while and finally decided to join the fray.

I noticed there is activity this morning on the NW corner of Central/Pierson on that land that was cleared recently. Looks like the very early stages of construction.

Obadno Jan 17, 2018 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX (Post 8049673)
Morning gents,

Been following Phoenix development and this thread for a while and finally decided to join the fray.

I noticed there is activity this morning on the NW corner of Central/Pierson on that land that was cleared recently. Looks like the very early stages of construction.

That would be an apartment project that I had given up on ever seeing, It is supposed to go up on both sides of the street, hopefully it is under construction that would be great.

exit2lef Jan 17, 2018 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8049650)
I've always enjoyed hula. Hope they are able to avoid closing altogether which often happens in this kind of situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8049672)
Hula's won't close permanently. They get too much business and they have another location that will keep them going. I think it sucks they are relocating over to 7th though. I'd much prefer they find another spot along Central.

I'm not fond of this particular building getting demolished. It's a very unique building. Isn't it mid-century? Can someone fill me in on the building history?

Although Hula's is relocating to 7th Street, there seems to be a restaurant glut there now, and some recent arrivals have closed within a year or two of opening. I wish they had been able to stay on Central, which is not as saturated.

I also like the building and entire plaza it's in. Yes, this is a somewhat suburban shopping center, but it has unique design and wraps the parking lot around the central Hula's building rather than putting it all in front.

biggus diggus Jan 17, 2018 4:33 PM

This isn't a good sign for restaurants but I always enjoy places on 7th Street because they're never too busy...

muertecaza Jan 17, 2018 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8049160)
Just when you think nothing else will be getting announced. :yes:

I'm taking it they will be tearing down that house that sits at that block? Is there any histroy to that home? It looks like old Victorian. On a side note, there are a lot of feral cats on that property and someone sneaks inside the fence and puts buckets of dry cat food for them. Must be about 20 cats. Anyone need a kitty?? :grumpycat:

Awesome to see more on the way. Burton Barr is going to be effin' packed....whenever they reopen.

I was curious and well and tried looking into this. This article says the house was built in 1921. Also per the article, the house is more notable for who designed it than for what it is. It was designed by Lescher & Maroney, who did many of the early Phoenix buildings, including the Orpheum theater, Old City Hall, the Brophy chapel, Title & Trust building aka Orpheum lofts, the Coliseum, etc. The Owner sought a demo permit last year, but apparently there was some push to give historical protection to the building, and the owner amended the application to move the structure to 925 E. Roosevelt. Obviously that didn't happen at the time.

Moving the structure does not appear to still be the plan. Owner applied for a new demo permit last week. In doing so, owner triggered the new 30 day waiting period, which is running now and expires February 11, 2018.

biggus diggus Jan 17, 2018 5:08 PM

I used to get my hair cut in that building years ago when I was much cooler. Way Cool, if you will.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 17, 2018 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8049827)
This isn't a good sign for restaurants but I always enjoy places on 7th Street because they're never too busy...

Where are you going that's not busy, lol? My girlfriend lives next door to Cold Beer and Cheesburgers and all the restaraunts in that area are packed. Some places we don't bother to go in because It's to busy (Yard, Camp Social, etc.). Are we talking about a different section of 7th?

biggus diggus Jan 17, 2018 5:57 PM

I went to Camp Social Monday and it was deserted. Great for me, bad for them. Central Kitchen has been empty the last few times I've been as well. I don't go out on weekends.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 17, 2018 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8049975)
I went to Camp Social Monday and it was deserted. Great for me, bad for them. Central Kitchen has been empty the last few times I've been as well. I don't go out on weekends.

Might be just the time of day I suppose. I don't really frequent those places until at least Thursday. They get slammed on Friday and Saturdays. It's like being in Oldtown.

Classical in Phoenix Jan 17, 2018 6:13 PM

I have been to Otro Cafe during the week and never had to wait.

Phxguy Jan 17, 2018 6:58 PM

Went to Camp Social last Thursday, was fairly busy to where the only space to accommodate a group of about 12 people was on the patio. Service was ridiculously slow though, talk about 20 mins waiting to get a non-alcoholic drink.

pbenjamin Jan 17, 2018 7:38 PM

Hula's is going into the space that Ticoz was in. A permit was approved in November to allow outdoor dining and alcohol.

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...Case/ZA-505-17

Ticoz shut down due to competition from nearby restaurants.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 17, 2018 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8050116)
Hula's is going into the space that Ticoz was in. A permit was approved in November to allow outdoor dining and alcohol.

https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/...Case/ZA-505-17

Ticoz shut down due to competition from nearby restaurants.

That's why I am curious Hula's is choosing to move in that area. Hula's is good, but the competition on restaraunt row is tough.