SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX31 Mar 5, 2010 4:53 PM

/\ I totally agree. It would be nice if the dirt lots of Phoenix were much smaller. It would allow for smaller developments and much better infill (row houses, 3-4 story apartment or condo buildings with retail, etc.) all which are unique from each other. As it is now, will the superblocks of downtown ever get developed? And if so, will it be anything more than monolith after monolith with half of the block likely a parking lot creating no type of cohesion? Or, will it be any better than the huge Artisan Villiage - which would be cool if it was about 1/8 the size, surrounded by simililarly-sized, but unique developments?

Leo the Dog Mar 5, 2010 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4731628)
/\ I totally agree. It would be nice if the dirt lots of Phoenix were much smaller. It would allow for smaller developments and much better infill (row houses, 3-4 story apartment or condo buildings with retail, etc.) all which are unique from each other. As it is now, will the superblocks of downtown ever get developed? And if so, will it be anything more than monolith after monolith with half of the block likely a parking lot creating no type of cohesion? Or, will it be any better than the huge Artisan Villiage - which would be cool if it was about 1/8 the size, surrounded by simililarly-sized, but unique developments?

Very good points. Speaking of super-blocks, when i was looking at the updated google maps, it is very evident that the entire east side of DT consists of these super blocks, not really pedestrian oriented even in the heart of our DT.

I also noticed that Garfield neighborhood continues to open up. Just take a look at how many vacant dirt lots are there, it has gone from bad to worse. This is a great opportunity for the city of phx to re-develop this area into dense urban living, one small project at a time. How about tax incentives for developers in Garfield?? We don't need massive Alta style projects right now, but we could still continue to add residents in Central Phx.

PHX31 Mar 5, 2010 5:19 PM

I think the city has shot itself in the foot twice. First, by allowing the destruction of many of these older homes and apartments and neighborhoods through the years... that's a given. Second, they they spent years buying up and tying together lots into huge superblocks which will never amount to anything.

But oh well, at least we have pockets left here and there and imaginations.

mwadswor Mar 5, 2010 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 4731346)
Personally I prefer negative griping to negative gripping, but I digress. :D

Actually, I'd post positive economic news for Phoenix, but there isn't much of that lately, now is there? This is what happens to a one-horse economy built around sprawl and construction of single family homes as your dominant industry, and Talton warned of these things years ago when the party was still roaring hard. This is why Phoenix is facing $200+ million deficits and the state is selling off their office buildings for a lease back scheme. Face it, especially when it comes to state funding, Arizona is the poster child for running a Banana Republic within the United States. Mississippi of the west comes to mind...

Let's see:

313,000 jobs lost since 2006 (second highest percentage lost of all major U.S. cities)
Unemployment rising to nearly 10% from 3%
A dozen high-rise buildings abandoned or in foreclosure, perhaps more
23% of the single-family homes in Phoenix have been foreclosed, are in foreclosure, or are behind as of this writing
Whole suburban neighborhoods ravaged
New construction reduced 90% from 70,000 homes per year to 7,000
A median real estate price of $125,000, down from $266,000 in 2006 and now lower than cities like Salt Lake City, Kansas City, etc. (fourth worst in the U.S.)
17,000 businesses lost in Phoenix since 2006
A 17% drop in retail sales since 2006

Just calling a spade a spade. Sorry I don't run around with my fairy wings on with fruity tights trying to bring oodles of joy to people's lives as you seem to think that's the only thing I should do.

:)

--don

I was browsing SSC the other day and came across this post. I know it's probably not fair to dredge up old posts, but I just find the night and day differences in tone and attitide shocking.

Three guesses who wrote this in July 2006 in a thread predicting what Phoenix would look like in 2009.

Quote:

July 25th, 2006, 10:20 PM

^ This fear is massively overrated of a market crash affecting much of anything. The fact is that people keep moving to Arizona by the thousands every year. They all need a place to live. School enrollments are skyrocketing, driver's license applications increase by 100,000 per year, demand for utilities, etc. Every single standard you can think of that might show that people are moving here is soaring.

In terms of the market, some of the far-flung areas of the city are seeing minor drops in housing prices. However, that only affects investors. People that are actually living here are doing fine. Jobs are increasing, wages are increasing, etc. If you are in no hurry to sell, the market time is fine. My partner and I are still flipping some properties in Arizona and making money. It just takes time and quality work. It is harder than last year but there is still a market. To top that off, some zip codes are still increasing, especially in the core of the city and better neighborhoods.

We are seeing a minor correction in housing prices, but this is nothing compared to the crash of the late 1980s.

Several of the proposed skyscrapers not under construction will get built as there is still some demand. Obviously, not all proposals will come to fruition, but many will.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=44

Here's to hoping that some day we can all return to this kind of optimism :cheers:

Don B. Mar 5, 2010 6:28 PM

^ I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit that. Never again will I be suckered in...

--don

Vicelord John Mar 5, 2010 7:39 PM

The little engine that could turned into Chicken Little in four years.

HooverDam Mar 6, 2010 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4731646)
Very good points. Speaking of super-blocks, when i was looking at the updated google maps, it is very evident that the entire east side of DT consists of these super blocks, not really pedestrian oriented even in the heart of our DT.

The Urban Form project addresses this issue. They also noticed the blocks are too long North-South wise, and are looking to create a pedestrian paseo through there roughly lining up w/ Taylor St.

combusean Mar 6, 2010 4:17 AM

Quote:

Personally I prefer negative griping to negative gripping, but I digress. :D

Actually, I'd post positive economic news for Phoenix, but there isn't much of that lately, now is there? This is what happens to a one-horse economy built around sprawl and construction of single family homes as your dominant industry, and Talton warned of these things years ago when the party was still roaring hard. This is why Phoenix is facing $200+ million deficits and the state is selling off their office buildings for a lease back scheme. Face it, especially when it comes to state funding, Arizona is the poster child for running a Banana Republic within the United States. Mississippi of the west comes to mind...

Let's see:

313,000 jobs lost since 2006 (second highest percentage lost of all major U.S. cities)
Unemployment rising to nearly 10% from 3%
A dozen high-rise buildings abandoned or in foreclosure, perhaps more
23% of the single-family homes in Phoenix have been foreclosed, are in foreclosure, or are behind as of this writing
Whole suburban neighborhoods ravaged
New construction reduced 90% from 70,000 homes per year to 7,000
A median real estate price of $125,000, down from $266,000 in 2006 and now lower than cities like Salt Lake City, Kansas City, etc. (fourth worst in the U.S.)
17,000 businesses lost in Phoenix since 2006
A 17% drop in retail sales since 2006

Just calling a spade a spade. Sorry I don't run around with my fairy wings on with fruity tights trying to bring oodles of joy to people's lives as you seem to think that's the only thing I should do.

:)

--don

Please do this in another thread.

HooverDam Mar 6, 2010 8:30 AM

Quote:

= Sorry I don't run around with my fairy wings on with fruity tights trying to bring oodles of joy to people's lives as you seem to think that's the only thing I should do.

I never said or implied that. I bitch about stuff all the time, I hate on ABOR, I hate on our visionless leaders, I hate on people I meet in planning and parks departments, I hate on people who show up at public meetings, etc. Everyone I know in real life thinks Im fairly negative and complainy, so if you're out doing me on it, its probably a bit much is all. I don't mind bitching and now is certainly the time to, but lets sprinkle in some optimism too.

Phoenix is still a great place to live, its getting better all the time and has oodles of potential, lets not lose sight of that.

Leo the Dog Mar 6, 2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4732540)
The Urban Form project addresses this issue. They also noticed the blocks are too long North-South wise, and are looking to create a pedestrian paseo through there roughly lining up w/ Taylor St.

Would the paseo terminate at 3rd St, AMC/AZ Ctr? That would be great if it did.

HooverDam Mar 6, 2010 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 4733004)
Would the paseo terminate at 3rd St, AMC/AZ Ctr? That would be great if it did.

Yes, it already does. The paseo would just be an extension of the Taylor St mall on the West side of the Civic Space Park. Like Ive said before, I wish they'd reorient AMCs entrance to face Taylor street, that would be nice.

Here's a drawing from Urban Form:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1156/taylorst.png

Leo the Dog Mar 7, 2010 12:17 PM

^^^

Ok, I'm confused as to the wording of "paseo", I was thinking that they would turn it into a pedestrian corridor, eliminating vehicle traffic.

Whats the dark green lines and dotted red lines indicate on the map?

Don B. Mar 7, 2010 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4732740)
Please do this in another thread.

And what thread would that be? A number of the stats I posted pertain directly to Phoenix development. I could put it in my signature block...heh.

--don

CANUC Mar 8, 2010 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 4734245)
I could put it in my signature block...heh.

--don

You might as well, you repeat the same garbage enough.

Don B. Mar 8, 2010 7:15 PM

^ Quit yer kvetching...

Since this is supposed to be a thread about news (whether good or bad) and not about bashing people, a piece of positive news:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...sts-trend.html

Prices luring more visitors, reversing downward trend

Room deals and freebies are the spring-season staples at Phoenix-area hotels and resorts again this year. To lure Cactus League fans, sun seekers and golfers in a still-sluggish economy, value is a must, even in this peak month of the peak tourism season, hoteliers say.

The good news: The specials appear to be drawing guests in droves, a welcome sign after nearly a year and a half of double-digit declines in occupancy rates because of the recession, increased competition and other factors.
Hotel occupancy rates have been on the rise in greater Phoenix this year, up 1.7 percent in January and an estimated 5 percent in February, according to Smith Travel Research. Hotel-industry executives say early signs are for an even stronger March because of the gradual return of business meetings, an increase in vacation travel and continuing deals.

--don

Don B. Mar 8, 2010 7:18 PM

This is interesting:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...ng-zoning.html

Mariposa Street residents seek reversal of zoning for parking

Residents in east Phoenix are fighting to prevent a parking structure from being built in their neighborhood. They filed two lawsuits against the city to make certain city leaders won't permit a parking structure based on a zoning stipulation that expired more than 20 years ago. In this case, no one is proposing a new development or use for three properties on Mariposa Street, but neighbors say they are taking the necessary steps now to protect their home values.

In the 1980s, a developer rezoned three residential properties near 32nd Street and Camelback Road for structure parking as part of a proposed commercial office development. Development faltered and the project changed, but the owner-occupied residential properties kept the zoning for a parking structure.

In 2007, following a developer's attempt to use the expired zoning for parking to support a parking project on Mariposa Street, neighbors sued the city to strip the zoning classification....

--don

combusean Mar 8, 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 4734245)
And what thread would that be? A number of the stats I posted pertain directly to Phoenix development. I could put it in my signature block...heh.

--don

None of your stats point to a specific project proposed or under construction in the City of Phoenix or anything remotely related to development.

Seriously go create an Economy Thread next time you feel like posting bad news.

Don B. Mar 8, 2010 10:36 PM

Never mind, it's not worth it. I get it...

On another note, since I'm clearly too negative, I'm not going to maintain this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=74733

...any longer. If there is a Phoenix forumer who wants to take it over, knock yourself out. I'll give you my info but I am going to remove the photos and whatnot from my website.

--don

PHX31 Mar 8, 2010 11:40 PM

/\TSK TSK. Now it sounds like you're going to leave and then come back again. j/k. What was your original screen name? don85028?

If there's nothing going on, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it up.

HooverDam Mar 8, 2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 4736067)
Never mind, it's not worth it. I get it...

On another note, since I'm clearly too negative, I'm not going to maintain this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=74733

...any longer. If there is a Phoenix forumer who wants to take it over, knock yourself out. I'll give you my info but I am going to remove the photos and whatnot from my website.

--don

People are just asking nicely that you 1. post stuff in the proper forum and 2. don't post the same sort of stuff over and over. There's no reason to over react and leave. You're a terrific photographer and very knowledgeable poster, Im sure we'd all (though I cant speak for Vicelord) hate to lose you :D