SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Jjs5056 Aug 19, 2014 8:54 PM

Also, remember that part of the parking lot remains with 2 different owners - so a tower could still rise eventually, and makes much more sense on the east/south, closest to the arena.

This would've worked perfectly as a Warehouse transition if the Madison and St James remained, and Jacksons on 3rd was still available/not in use as a dentist. :(

PHXFlyer11 Aug 19, 2014 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6697531)
PHYXFlyer - I would be skeptical on Union due to the fact that its been 7 years of waiting, but someone on the board (exit2leaf, was it?) assured us that it was moving forward as the GC has been assembling a team of trades for the project. The City only just recently signed the agreement for Central Station, so that one is a while off, but remember, both that and the Barrister project are on City property: they'll due whatever they can to ensure they happen, as the objective of both was to generate income off properties that were essentially just sitting idle.

Don't get me wrong, I am very hopeful, I just don't see a ton of actual movement in downtown Phoenix right now. A number of good projects in the plans, but we've seen that before.

I love that these projects are spaced around downtown and can hopefully accelerate development, much like what we've seen in Tempe.

The Union helps Roosevelt district, as does Portland II.

Barrister helps an area that has seen success since CityScape justify it's level or bars/retail during non-game days. When the Marriotts go up as well this will really be a tipping point for this area, in my opinion.

Central Station can help accelerate growth around ASU and hopefully activate more ground level retail which remains vacant.

exit2lef Aug 19, 2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

PHYXFlyer - I would be skeptical on Union due to the fact that its been 7 years of waiting, but someone on the board (exit2leaf, was it?) assured us that it was moving forward as the GC has been assembling a team of trades for the project. The City only just recently signed the agreement for Central Station, so that one is a while off, but remember, both that and the Barrister project are on City property: they'll due whatever they can to ensure they happen, as the objective of both was to generate income off properties that were essentially just sitting idle.

No, not me nor my evil twin "exit2leaf" (He must be into Nissan electric cars; I got my screen name from light rail.) I don't have any inside knowledge about Union.

Jjs5056 Aug 21, 2014 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6697580)
Don't get me wrong, I am very hopeful, I just don't see a ton of actual movement in downtown Phoenix right now. A number of good projects in the plans, but we've seen that before.

I love that these projects are spaced around downtown and can hopefully accelerate development, much like what we've seen in Tempe.

The Union helps Roosevelt district, as does Portland II.

Barrister helps an area that has seen success since CityScape justify it's level or bars/retail during non-game days. When the Marriotts go up as well this will really be a tipping point for this area, in my opinion.

Central Station can help accelerate growth around ASU and hopefully activate more ground level retail which remains vacant.

Union will definitely help. Along with DeSoto Market, they'll serve to connect the historic and much more aesthetic portion of Roosevelt with the grungier, more arts-focused section to the east. It'll also bring in residents that aren't necessarily artists or students, and retail that is more traditional, which is necessary in the long run regardless of gentrification fears.

Central Station will bring more non-student residents to the Center of downtown, which may help retail turnover, but there aren't many vacancies in the immediate area. The Security Building and 44M are huge holes, but aren't leasing out their ground levels, so really, it's just the ground floor of the VB/Central Garage that is open along with maybe 1-2 spots on Monroe (US Bank next to the new restaurant and 1 spot next to Subway once Cornish Pasty finally opens).

The Barrister redevelopment is the biggest game-changer. I spoke of Jefferson in my rant in the General PHX thread and said it is definitely turning out to be the main street of downtown and a solid retail mix with the influx of residents this project will bring will solidify that. The heights are perfect as research shows that midrise residents have the best connection to the street; we need the density of towers, but since we are getting 3 buildings, this will work out great without any superblock or inner courtyard in sight! Very excited and hopeful.

But, overall, I here ya. There are a ton of proposals in Phoenix and not a shovel has been lifted, aside from continued demolitions for Union. Our list doesn't include even half the total list of projects; it's really shocking when you look at 10+ approved projects and realize how few have broken ground when compared to Tempe, for example.

Under construction...
1) ASU; Center of Law and Blah Blah Blah at Taylor/1st St.
2) Unknown; Highland Apartments at Highland/Central

In the pipeline for quite a while...
1) MetroWest; 2nd Avenue Renovations: I believe the 2 renovated houses are complete; but, the 3rd lot on which they plan to build a single story home has not been touched last I saw/heard
2) MetroWest; Townhomes on 3rd: did we ever figure out the exact location? Last I remember, it was a vague "between Van Buren and Fillmore" or something. 3rd Ave could certainly use the infill and the proposal looked really nice, but if the pace is anything like Union...
3) MetroWest; Union: not much more needing to be said.
4) Habitat Metro; Portland on the Park
5) Habitat Metro; Lexington Hotel Conversion: permits finally pulled on interior renovations for this project - hopefully being done in tandem with the above.
6) Urban Development Partners; The Row: was supposed to have begun work by June and has continually renegotiated with the City
7) The Cooper: I totally forgot the details on this one, but believe it was to be near the YMCA area (2nd or 3rd avenue) and was a lowrise or townhome development - at least a year in the making.
8) Alliance Residential; Central/Osborn: crappy suburban development wrapped around existing tower with a parking lot fronting Central
9) Deco Communities; Edison Midtown
10) Hansji Urban; The Marriott: Courtyard and Residence Inn Dual-Brand: 2+ years in the making... would be a big loss if this falls through
11) Unknown; ArtHAUS on 1st: this has been very delayed, as well - any news?

Projects that are fairly new and so not worried yet...
1) Unknown; The Spaghetti Factory South Lot: development plans were shown for the lot south of the Spaghetti Factory where an Artisan project was once planned
2) Unknown; Phoenix Art Museum: a lowrise project planned near the CVS in midtown
3) Lennar Homes; McDowell/Central
4) Tilton Development; 4th and McKinley: hopefully, the art studios are not demolished too far in advance of construction
5) Boyer Company/Ryan/SmithGroupJR; Heinous Parking Garage at 5th/Fillmore
6) SmithGroupJR; Central Station
7) Davis/PB Bell; Barrister Redevelopment

Jjs5056 Aug 21, 2014 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 6697728)
No, not me nor my evil twin "exit2leaf" (He must be into Nissan electric cars; I got my screen name from light rail.) I don't have any inside knowledge about Union.

:haha: Sorry!

dtnphx Aug 21, 2014 3:56 PM

Saw this while looking through City of Phoenix Zoning Requests. Looks like Desoto is applying for some cool permits for outdoor dining music, and seating. That will be a cool project when done and hopefully (with Union) will bridge East and West Roosevelt together.

14. Application #: ZA-334-14-7
Existing Zoning: DTC Gateway HP
Quarter Section: 11-28(F8)
Proposal: 1) Use permit to allow outdoor liquor service
accessory to a restaurant. Use permit required.
2) Use permit to allow outdoor cooking
accessory to a restaurant. Use permit required.
3) Use permit to allow amplified music or
loudspeakers outside after 8:00 p.m. on
Sundays and after 10:00 p.m. on Friday and
Saturdays.
Use permit required. 4) Use permit
to allow the outdoor dining area to exceed
more than 25 percent with a maximum of 50
percent of the primary building’s ground level
gross floor area. A use permit is required.
Ordinance Sections: 1204.D 1204.D 1204.C.9 1207.W.4.b(1)(c)
Applicant: Shawn Connelly, Desoto Central Market
Representative: Shawn Connelly, Desoto Central Market
Owner: Ken Cook, Select Credit & Leasing, LLC

PHX31 Aug 21, 2014 4:45 PM

/\ That is an excellent idea!

I was worried just having a market wouldn't be enough to keep it afloat.

It'll be more of a destination, and yeah, come on Union! That's going to be huge.

I wish the stupid parking lot for that radio station building wasn't there, not to mention I wish it didn't have it's horrid 80s stucco remodel. That's an eyesore between DeSoto and the future Union.

Jjs5056 Aug 21, 2014 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6700213)
/\ That is an excellent idea!

I was worried just having a market wouldn't be enough to keep it afloat.

It'll be more of a destination, and yeah, come on Union! That's going to be huge.

I wish the stupid parking lot for that radio station building wasn't there, not to mention I wish it didn't have it's horrid 80s stucco remodel. That's an eyesore between DeSoto and the future Union.

At least a portion of what looks to be part of the parking lot was supposed to be landscaped and 'beautified' (can't think of a better term) during the Roosevelt streetscape project. There's basically a piece between the sidewalk and parking lot... it's a sizeable piece of land, so hopefully it still is part of the plans?

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...evelt-central/

ASUSunDevil Aug 21, 2014 5:16 PM

Lux Commonwealth and County to Open in Downtown Phoenix Next Year

By Katie Johnson Thu., Aug. 21 2014 at 6:30 AM
Phoenix New Times

One of central Phoenix's most popular spots at which to eat, drink, and be seen is opening up a second location in downtown Phoenix. Although currently in the early stages of development (construction has yet to begin), the new location will be called Lux Commonwealth and County, named partly after the Virginia stomping grounds of owner Jeff Fischer.

Lux Commonwealth and County will be located in the lot next to Bud's Glass Joint at First and Portland streets. The future two-story will model itself off of the vintage-meets-urban stylings of the original coffee bar on Central Avenue, with the second story serving as a residential space for Fischer.

At Lux Commonwealth and County, patrons will still have access to the same casual coffee and bakery they've become accustomed to lining up out the door for as well as a bar and restaurant billed as slightly more of a sit-down style than the current one. Diners can expect a more set and expansive menu, or as Fischer put it, "a natural ascension of craft and nourishment."

As it stands, nothing's hard and fast date wise, but Lux Commonwealth and County is expected to open sometime next year.

"We're very excited about the opportunity to kind of refine and provide nourishment in a new way," Fischer says.

The original Lux will remain open leading up to and following the opening of the second location. "It's been essentially a joy to see community being developed through this space, says Fischer. "And we want to give space, to help build community, to help build this city."

PHX31 Aug 21, 2014 5:27 PM

That would be awesome if they built a new building on that small lot. Although I can't believe a 2-story building would pencil out, as I'd assume the land is priced way higher than it should be. But a new 2-story is great for that lot IMO.

HooverDam Aug 21, 2014 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6700213)

I hate that building/lot too. Though I don't remember what it looked like pre-stucco. Is there a nice brick building under there?

PHX31 Aug 21, 2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6700743)
I hate that building/lot too. Though I don't remember what it looked like pre-stucco. Is there a nice brick building under there?

It's from pre-1930 at least... but I don't have a clue as to what it looks like underneath, if anything is left.

Jjs5056 Aug 25, 2014 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6700291)
That would be awesome if they built a new building on that small lot. Although I can't believe a 2-story building would pencil out, as I'd assume the land is priced way higher than it should be. But a new 2-story is great for that lot IMO.

The building to the north (at the intersection of Portland and 1st St) was for sale, as well, so maybe the plan is to buy that and assemble the two lots?

I wouldn't worry too much about the price... I don't think that lot could've ever been zoned for hi rise given the surrounding area and small footprint. But, I don't know the exact details of how land banking works.

Prior to 2007, Portland-Hance Park was completely filled with buildings along 1st - sad that it's now completely empty. Hopefully this will spark some new infill in that area, especially if The Row actually happens.

In other news, just in chance you can't find parking in the new 6-story monster Boyer is developing, don't fret. Three parking lots will have been approved for 707 North 3rd Street, 702 and 706 North 4th Street.

On the positive side... ish... the city's documents all refer to the Boyer Garage as being on the southwest corner of Fillmore and 7th, not 5th. Small win if that's the case.

ASU Diablo Aug 26, 2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

One thing I don't understand is the "site for small business" - hopefully, none of the ground level space will be dedicated to that; a mezzanine or 2nd level of business would be just fine, but I'm also scared they're thinking of making Barrister completely small business as it doesn't specify that it will be residential exactly... hmm.

A little bit more info about Barrister project.

http://downtowndevil.com/2014/08/26/...ster-building/

Quote:

The space will be made into a rental housing project with ground-level retail and a self-contained parking garage according to Mike Trueman, vice president of development at P.B. Bell Companies.

HooverDam Aug 27, 2014 10:15 PM

so far the Barrister project is sounding too good to be true!

Jjs5056 Aug 27, 2014 10:48 PM

Agreed. Glad to hear from a company(ies) who 'get it.' I hope this project comes to fruition and that it motivates PB Bell to make similar investments within downtown. This type of mixed use development is exactly what downtown needs in large numbers, and in continuous development, to truly activate the streetscape. Does self-contained parking just mean the buildings will wrap the garage?

I don't agree with the sentiment that "if we had _x_ number of properties like Barrister, they'd all be in development." It's clear from the struggles of the Professional Building, the lack of ground level activation at the Security Building and the stagnation of the Westard Ho and several historic properties throughout downtown and the warehouse district that this isn't the case.

Also, 114 sounds really low for total number of units, especially if they're mainly 1 bedroom and studio apartments. Hopefully that number is just the Barrister building itself, and not the grand total inclusive of the adjacent ~5 and ~6 story buildings.

Phxguy Aug 28, 2014 7:07 AM

Some good news for the Barrister and Monroe project. Now to see them blossom would be great.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...oost/14708881/

Jjs5056 Aug 28, 2014 8:55 AM

Yes, two projects that might be more important than any others given the high profile status of the respective historic buildings; successful reuse should hopefully trigger some similar investments, while showing there is a demand for hotel and housing in downtown for new construction projects. The former is probably reaching saturation, but the Marriotts are dragging their feet, and I can't imagine a small ALOFT, for instance, on Adams&Central impacing statistics too much since it attracts a younger, more leisure-oriented traveler.

And, hopefully both renew interest in development on the more established streets. Yes, the empty land in Evans Churchill sucks, but areas like Jefferson, Monroe and Adams have urban infrastructure in certain areas, so it would be nice to see the gaps filled: Central/Adams, as mentioned, along with 2nd Ave/Adams; Monroe could use some retail love - not sure if 44M will ever even market its ground floor, but there, and the Subway complex are obvious holes; and, of course, Jefferson has the Colliers hotel pad and the Colliers/RED block... I could see the second being brought back to life depending on the retail mix of both Colliers Center and Barrister.

I do wish the Monroe HGI included more ground floor uses; Monroe is going to be essentially a drop-off area, and the Central retail has been reduced from the Hotel Monroe days.

phoenixwillrise Aug 28, 2014 9:43 PM

Hope this works out better than last Barrister Hype

[QUOTE=Phxguy;6708767]Some good news for the Barrister and Monroe project. Now to see them blossom would be great.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...oost/14708881/[/QUOTE

This was the same building that some group from L.A. was suppose to retro for a medical records business that was also suppose to build a million square feet of industrial space near 16th and Buckeye. Dude talked a hell of a fight but where the hell is he?

Jjs5056 Aug 29, 2014 1:05 AM

[QUOTE=phoenixwillrise;6709844]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6708767)
Some good news for the Barrister and Monroe project. Now to see them blossom would be great.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...oost/14708881/[/QUOTE

This was the same building that some group from L.A. was suppose to retro for a medical records business that was also suppose to build a million square feet of industrial space near 16th and Buckeye. Dude talked a hell of a fight but where the hell is he?

Yea, several people have mentioned that the building was supposed to be put to use a few years back; I think we can all agree that the new proposal is much better for the immediate area/downtown as a whole.

Both companies have a solid reputation in the market, especially PB Bell with its multifamily portfolio. This is definitely the real deal, so long as the market can support it and its financing.