SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

TheSawg Nov 21, 2013 5:11 AM

I was at the Melrose Gateway official lighting event tonight. Sounds like most of the push, and some funding came from the 7th Ave Merchants Association. So, the local businesses probably had the biggest hand in getting it built. Not sure how much pull a neighborhood alone would have. Though there looked to be well over 100 to 150 people there tonight, so maybe it will send a sign to the city about community building.

Hysonk Nov 21, 2013 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSawg (Post 6347434)
I was at the Melrose Gateway official lighting event tonight. Sounds like most of the push, and some funding came from the 7th Ave Merchants Association. So, the local businesses probably had the biggest hand in getting it built. Not sure how much pull a neighborhood alone would have. Though there looked to be well over 100 to 150 people there tonight, so maybe it will send a sign to the city about community building.

I hope it's the start of a push for neighborhood identity structures.

Sean1187 Nov 22, 2013 6:14 PM

deleted

Jjs5056 Nov 23, 2013 9:54 AM

If only the powers that be beyond the district signage could somehow find a way to encourage more local businesses, improve the pedestrian experience, and beautify the area to make it an area capable of attracting development, particuarly residential.

Hard to 'sell' a district that is so extremely unwalkable and lacking identity, street life, and attractive streetscapes.

Great step for Phoenix neighborhoods, and hope this is just one of first.

nickw252 Nov 23, 2013 6:26 PM

The last Phoenix Business Journal article said that the Professional Building/Hotel Monroe sale was scheduled to close on November 22 (yesterday). I wonder when we'll hear anything. I hope a deal goes through this time.

rocksteady Nov 24, 2013 7:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysonk (Post 6347720)
I hope it's the start of a push for neighborhood identity structures.

Here is a great article on the Melrose sign. Looks like it cost $500k and they are planning for two more. One on Campbell and another on Camelback. I'm glad they addressed Phoenix neighborhoods identity crisis and seem to be pushing for more of these around town. Lets hope it doesn't take 10 years like planning for the Melrose sign did.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...ch_phoenix.php

Jjs5056 Nov 24, 2013 11:25 AM

*UPDATE: Just saw this post which shows I'm not alone in being concerned about the vision for this community. Apparently, "4" community members voiced concerns, so additional time has been given more community input.* Sounds likema formality, however, at this point.

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/11/14/...oosevelt-ecca/

As usual, all good news comes with a catch in this great town.

A developer has been selected to renovate the historic Knipe House and several surrounding lots at 2nd St./Portland. The House is to be converted into a brewery (the specific tenant, Portland-based, is listed in the link below), with construction to begin in 2014 and finish by 2015.

The bad news you ask? 3 other developers submitted proposals. While the "winner" had the best idea and a viable tenant for the Knipe House, the rest were proposing condos, residential, grocery, and other unique uses on the remaining lots, with completion set for 2015. RCA, the selected project team, will be developing 3-5 story senior or low-income housing, to be completed in 2016.

They'll be working with the team behind the Encore on Farmer and the senior residential project in Mesa - quality work, but when will the madness end?

When was the last time Downtown Phoenix landed a market rate apartment project? Alta Lofts in 2007? Native American Concepts x2, (the renovation nearby that was for low income residents), Mckinley Lofts, Roosevelt Pointe… it really is detrimental to the community. Vibrant cities need a mix of students, seniors and lower-income residents… but, for god's sake, they also need working professionals!

I also don't understand why the city wouldn't want the residential to be completed prior to the Knipe renovation. I asolutely understand the desire to get that home restored, but downtown is reaching a point of over saturation of restaurant and entertainment venues, whereas residential vacancies continent to drop.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ces/105209.pdf

Jjs5056 Nov 24, 2013 11:34 AM

On a positive note, I am not sure how far we got into the discussion regarding the Adams Street transformation, but I'm really excited to see that the city will be taking action to:

1) Improve the Hyatt's street presence and encourage additional retail usage with patios and other street interaction
2) ^ Ditto the Renaissance, along with recommending its entrance be relocated to 1st
3) Sending out an RFP to fill out the Regency Garage retail space
4) Sending out an RFP to develop the Adams/Central lot for a mixed-use mid- or hi-rise (hotel or residential); I still think an Aloft would be a great addition, even moreso if they could incorporate apartments above a la Palomar

All of these changes will do wonders for the city, regardless of whether Adams becomes a mecca of cultural events and entertainment. That street is too important with its proximity to the PCC to be such a deadzone as a result of poor design.

Jjs5056 Nov 24, 2013 11:39 AM

Last post for the early morning: a summary of the Hance Park findings. I tried to get through all ~180 pages, but I was mad, confused, and underwhelmed. I have no idea if the final plan is included somewhere in this presentation, or if it is simply a compilation of their research.

Wonderful that a brewery seemed to be one of their top "must haves." All those seniors living in the new apartments on 2nd/Portland will have plenty of watering holes to choose from soon, won't they? :hell:

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/105767.pdf

Some groups "get it," and others just shouldn't have had their opinion be heard. More parking is TOTALLY the solution to making Hance work, as are cannibalizing the organically successful, truly urban, experiences Phoenix has right now like First Fridays and the Market.

Phxguy Nov 26, 2013 11:34 AM

Here's the plan put together for the park. Note changes will be made.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/106214.pdf

PHX31 Nov 26, 2013 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6350514)
The last Phoenix Business Journal article said that the Professional Building/Hotel Monroe sale was scheduled to close on November 22 (yesterday). I wonder when we'll hear anything. I hope a deal goes through this time.

Any word?

exit2lef Nov 26, 2013 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 6351140)

Some groups "get it," and others just shouldn't have had their opinion be heard. More parking is TOTALLY the solution to making Hance work, as are cannibalizing the organically successful, truly urban, experiences Phoenix has right now like First Fridays and the Market.

While there were some disappointing and perplexing calls for more parking in the comments, these voices were a small minority during the workshops held a few weeks earlier. When opinions are captured on paper, sometimes the views of a few look equivalent to those of the many. Nevertheless, even people misguided enough to think that what Hance really needs is more parking deserve free speech. Let the community sort out what makes sense and what doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 6353386)
Here's the plan put together for the park. Note changes will be made.

http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/106214.pdf

I saw this presented and the crowd, which included many skeptical and cynical urbanists, was impressed. I think there's some momentum behind this plan and we can only hope that will help obtain funding for what needs to be done. I didn't hear exact numbers, but it looks like this plan would result in a reduction in land wasted on surface parking. The lot used by library employees would be removed and new underground parking would be placed under the park's northeastern corner.

nickw252 Nov 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6353463)
Any word?

Nothing yet. Maybe after the holiday weekend?

I emailed the reporter to see if there was any news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ic-buyers.html

Phxguy Nov 26, 2013 6:06 PM

[/QUOTE] I saw this presented and the crowd, which included many skeptical and cynical urbanists, was impressed. I think there's some momentum behind this plan and we can only hope that will help obtain funding for what needs to be done. I didn't hear exact numbers, but it looks like this plan would result in a reduction in land wasted on surface parking. The lot used by library employees would be removed and new underground parking would be placed under the park's northeastern corner.[/QUOTE]

I'm neutral with the plan for the park. While it's an extraordinary improvement compared to what exists now, I think the surface parking on Culver should be taken out and a sort of "Grand entrance" with a fountain can be put in. In reality, as much as I want to do without parking, realistically in Phoenix--that's near impossible, but I'm happier that they chose for underground. I do like how they include the Library with the design and add restaurant spaces around the park and slots for food trucks. I also hope they can extend the Japanese Garden's seasonal open period.
If/when the whole plan for the park comes to functioning, I can see myself plopping into a patio chair with a good lunch and people watching.

nickw252 Nov 26, 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 6353639)
Nothing yet. Maybe after the holiday weekend?

I emailed the reporter to see if there was any news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ic-buyers.html

Delayed again:

Quote:

The sale of the long-vacant Hotel Monroe building in downtown Phoenix has hit another delay.

A redevelopment group wanting to buy the 82-year-old, 13-story historic building has extended its closing date for a second time.

The group — which wants to develop the art deco building into a 150-room hotel — had first extended its closing date to Nov. 22.

“The closing is now scheduled for Dec 20th. I think it is likely to close on that date, but let’s wait and see,” said Mark Winkleman COO of ML Manager LLC.

ML Manager is the current owner of the building located at Central Avenue and Monroe Street. It is a receivership company that has been selling off assets held by Mortgages Ltd. The Phoenix-based commercial lender filed for bankruptcy protection after its CEO Scott Coles committed suicide in 2008.

ML Manager has owned and has been trying to sell Hotel Monroe since foreclosing on Grace Communities in 2010.

Grace Communities bought the downtown building in 2007 via a $27 million loan from Mortgages Ltd. with plans to develop a hotel.

The current bidder — a real estate entity called Grasshopper One LLC — wants to buy Hotel Monroe for $8 million and has now paid additional money for the two extensions.

The Grasshopper group includes developers from San Diego and Ed Gorman, principal with Modus Development in Phoenix. Modus specializes in in-fill developments. He could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The Monroe building was long named the Professional Building and was home to Valley Bank & Trust. The bank eventually moved into what is now the Chase Tower across the street.

The building — which also housed a McDonald’s restaurant — has sat empty for years exposed to the elements.

Several other bids in recent years to buy the building from ML Manager have not come to fruition.

The Hotel Monroe/Professional Building also shows up in the opening scene of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 P”sycho” movie along with Luhrs and Westward Ho buildings.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

PHX31 Nov 27, 2013 12:04 AM

At least it is delayed rather than fell through. I would hope if the city has any hand in this they'd do anything they can to help. Maybe the prospective buyers need future incentives for redevelopment or something like that. I say give them whatever they want. Better than letting it sit, or worse.

PHXFlyer11 Nov 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Why not put The Pin in Hance Park? That's the type of iconic attraction they are looking for, is it not?

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6354436)
Why not put The Pin in Hance Park? That's the type of iconic attraction they are looking for, is it not?

I think that's been suggested before and has generally been considered to be a good place for the Pin (if it ever happens). It would help bridge the midtown/downtown skyline and would give you a good view of the skylines.

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 1:53 AM

I noticed a zoning adjustment sign at the southeast corner of Roosevelt and 7th St. Is that for the proposed mega-Circle-K?

nickw252 Nov 27, 2013 2:12 AM

Quote:

A new 266-unit apartment complex, Elevation Central, is set to begin construction in December. It will be built on the southwest corner of Central and Highland avenues. Photo courtesy of Verdura Residential
Construction on a four story, 266-unit apartment complex in midtown Phoenix called Elevation Central is slated to begin this December on the southwest corner of Central and Highland avenues.

Verdura Residential is the residential development company in charge of the complex, which will be located near two light rail stations – Campbell and Central, and Central and Camelback.

“This is a true transit oriented development project,” Vedura Residential Managing Director Bruce Hart said. “We have designed the project so that it interacts with the light rail.”

Hart said that the team believes Elevation Central will serve “a pent up demand for residents that would not have a lot of options in the Central and Camelback area.”

Elevation Central is one of the many transit-oriented developments planned along the light rail corridor. It is located a short distance from the light rail, and offers 50 bike parking spaces in the six-story parking garage. It will feature studios, one-and-two-bedroom apartments, a two-story fitness center and a swimming pool.

“Transit oriented development is a term used in urban planning that refers to larger buildings, or what we call higher density development, that we try to promote around major transit corridors like the light rail,” said the project manager at the City of Phoenix Planning and Development Department, Curt Upton.

Upton said the basic purpose of transit-oriented development is to have a real estate development pattern that makes it easier, safer and more convenient for people to walk, bicycle and use public transit. He described transit-oriented developments as typically multistory buildings set close to the street, and often without a large-surface parking area. Upton also said that these kinds of developments create a “more lively street scape.”

However, some community members question whether Elevation Central will offer the “fine urban grain design” that many residents desire and are concerned with the design and long-term planning behind the project.

“One thing that people in Phoenix are trying to do is to create more walkable areas,” said Lisa Parks, an organizer for Phoenix Spokes People. “When you have a huge complex like that, it doesn’t encourage any kind of walking because you’re just walking past this enormous building.”

“Fine urban grain developments” incorporate a smaller, more detailed cluster of businesses, restaurants and variety of facades, according to Upton.

Though the designs for the complex may depict a seemingly endless walking experience, the project’s PUD Submittal states that, “visual interest is provided through varying architectural rhythms, depths, heights and materials. Public spaces for leasing, mail, lobby and fitness have been located along the sidewalk facing Central Avenue where transparency is encouraged to activate the street scape.”

“That fine-grain block pattern makes it easier to walk around, and easier to get to different types of destinations,” Upton said. “There could be more small stores as opposed to one big box development.”

Parks explained the appeal of fine urban grain designs by comparing living in Phoenix to her experiences in other large cities like New York City, San Francisco and Boston.

“I loved walking because I was always passing different restaurants and shops, and the blocks were shorter,” she said. “It didn’t make it feel like you were walking very far; you could just walk forever and not feel like it.”

The building’s design depicts a stretch of apartments along the entire block. Citizens’ comments suggest that this design challenges the goal proposed in the Elevation Central PUD Submittal to “create a strong and attractive urban edge along Central Avenue that is inviting to the street, enlivening, energetic and positive.”

“We need to create shorter blocks,” Parks said. “If it’s not going to be on a block that can be shorter, then it would be better to have something on the lower level so at least you’re walking past shops and restaurants rather than a massive building with just apartments.”

Alex Turley, who lives on Sixth Avenue and Fillmore, believes that Elevation Central may not be maximizing space as efficiently as possible.

“It’s wonderful that there’s going to be something on that vacant lot,” Turley said. “My concern is that there are only four levels. If they build it and things continue to grow like they have been, there’s not going to be enough housing downtown.”

Upton said that Elevation Central’s multistory design meets the goals of creating “urban vitality.” Put simply, multiple stories house more people. This creates more opportunity for small businesses to thrive with a concentrated population of customers, Upton said.

“What we’ve heard from a lot of the residents in that part of the city is a need to revitalize the Camelback corridor, that is, the commercial properties west of Central,” Upton said. “This type of project and other projects like it are going to really help revitalize and bring in more business activity, and less commercial vacancy than there is now, which is a big priority for the community.

The complex is Vedura Residential’s second development project in the state, according to Business Real Estate Weekly. The complex is set to be located across the street from the Brophy College Preparatory campus and the St. Francis Xavier church.
http://downtowndevil.com/2013/11/26/...x-in-december/

I'd like to know what the author's source was. I haven't seen any permits pulled. I hope she didn't just go to the Vedura website and rely on their statement that construction is slated to start in December '13.

http://veduraresidential.com/home/elevation-central