SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wrigley Field Redevelopment News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146817)

ardecila Aug 22, 2016 9:57 PM

^ Yeah, North/Clybourn is very much part of "neighborhood" Chicago and not "downtown" Chicago. It commands high retail rents because rich people live nearby, not because it is unique, prestigious, or has a attractive character.

Think about it this way: would you take your out-of-town friends to anywhere in the North/Clybourn area? (let's excuse Alinea and Steppenwolf, which are more historic Lincoln Park). The only thing I can think of is IO, and even they are only by North/Clybourn because they wanted lots of space. Beyond that, there's nothing at North/Clybourn that you won't find at Oak Brook or Old Orchard or countless other wealthy shopping areas around the country.

Wrigleyville is a major tourist attraction because it is fun and crazy, but also because it's walkable, fine-grained, transit and cab accessible, and anchored by one of America's most historic ballparks. It has a unique character and cachet because of this that North/Clybourn will never have. I rarely go to North/Clybourn even as a local, but I will happily take my visiting friends to Wrigleyville.

It will be interesting to see if the Wrigleyville je ne sais quoi translates into strong demand for retailers, and what kind of hard goods/soft goods retailers, if any, choose to open in the new complex.

marothisu Aug 23, 2016 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7538971)
^ Yeah, North/Clybourn is very much part of "neighborhood" Chicago and not "downtown" Chicago. It commands high retail rents because rich people live nearby, not because it is unique, prestigious, or has a attractive character.

Think about it this way: would you take your out-of-town friends to anywhere in the North/Clybourn area? (let's excuse Alinea and Steppenwolf, which are more historic Lincoln Park). The only thing I can think of is IO, and even they are only by North/Clybourn because they wanted lots of space.

I take my visitor friends to other neighborhoods when they've been downtown enough whether it's Chinatown, Wicker Park, Pilsen, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Hyde Park etc. I can say that I've never once considered taking them to North and Clybourn. There's a club that re-opened where Crobar was and that's probably literally the only time, if one of my visitors wanted to go to a club, that I'd consider taking anybody from out of town there. Otherwise, there's nothing about that area worth visiting for a visitor that downtown doesn't have.

J_M_Tungsten Aug 23, 2016 2:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7538163)
Surely you must be joking, it's not ugly, but the expense of that would have been silly for something so banal. It's literally low grade facebrick with decent detailing.



The Goose Island building was nothing special. It wasn't when it was built and it isn't now. I would rather have it than a vacant lot or strip mall, but I'd rather have ye olde jumbo brick 6 flate than this building. Even the most bland of ye olde jumbo brick 6 flates have equal or better detailing than this and the brick quality is comparable for each buildings respective time. I would certainly rather have this mega development than the old building.

Cool opinion. Thanks for sharing :tup:

prelude91 Aug 23, 2016 2:55 AM

Guys, I'm not saying North/Clybourn area is a top tier neighborhood because of it's unique cultural draws. It's near several great neighborhoods (Old Town, Lincoln Park) and very easily accessible to Wicker Park and the greater North/Clybourn area (if that is a thing) has some of the last developable major lots on the Adjacent to downtown on the North Side. It's also a major major shopping destination.

Is the area a complete embarrassment? Yes.
Do I completely hate and avoid that area? Of course.
Is the "neighborhood" a lost cause? Probably.

However, There are a lot of eyes on that area, and the New City was probably the final nail in the coffin for any "rise from the ashes like a phoenix" for the immediate area, and that is quite disappointing and embarrassing as a Chicagoan. At least to me.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 23, 2016 9:47 PM

^^^ I disagree, New City might be ugly and less than perfect from a planning perspective, but it is light years ahead of the uses that first colonized this area. I can see New City being an ugly corner in an otherwise nice, urban, area. I can't see the strip mall complexes north of North being anything but totally hostile to basic urban planning principals and anything but humans sheathed in metal eggs.

Also, did anyone notice the nice bit of sprucing up that Yandorf's Hall at the NE corner of North and Halsted got? It was already in fantastic condition, but is now near mint. The corner of North and Halsted, if viewed totally out of context, gives me hope for what the area can become if development pressures gradually wipe out the underutilized parcels. Yeah the area sucks now, but it's gradually improving. New City sucks relative to what we could have gotten, but it is also way better than what we would have gotten there 10 years ago.

Finally, that little apartment building near SoNo is nearly done and has some sick red cladding going up on it. I didn't get close enough to spy exactly what the situation is, but it looks Optima esque from a few blocks away. Another development that gives one hope, several dozen apartments and no new parking. It's only a matter of time before someone realizes they can raze World Market or the Container Store and cram two or three floors of retail with apartments or offices on top in there. There are also several extremely dense developments going up East of the Brown Line on North which look likely to help tie this area into the much more urban districts further East.

Point is, all hope is not lost for North/Clyborn.

the urban politician Aug 24, 2016 3:32 AM

Isn't there another hotel proposed for that district?

Of course, as long as demolition contractors exist, there is hope for an area like North/Clybourn where earlier developments were so poorly conceived. But damn it, that's gonna be a lot of demolition. I'm giving it 30 years

Skyguy_7 Aug 25, 2016 12:23 PM

Is this the proper thread to post pics of Wrigley construction? ..Or is it strictly for discussing New City :shrug::haha:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8281/2...58684275_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8495/2...a811dc6d_b.jpg

pip Aug 25, 2016 2:18 PM

What angle/street is that pic looking down?

marothisu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 7541819)
What angle/street is that pic looking down?

2nd pic is looking north along Clark at Addison.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 25, 2016 4:49 PM

Man it's going to be so awful having 5-7 story buildings completely surrounding this intersection instead of vacant lots and shitty rundown single story bars and a McDonalds. /s

marothisu Sep 14, 2016 1:35 AM

The hotel has a name now - Hotel Zachary. Not sure if it will be operated by SPG anymore, but yeah.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...-wrigley-field

Quote:

Hotel Zachary is expected to open in early 2018 and will become host to restaurants from the groups behind some of the city's best-known restaurants, including One Off Hospitality (Big Star), 4 Star Restaurant Group (Crosby's Kitchen), Folkart Restaurant Management (Yusho) and West Town Bakery. Names of the specific restaurants that will be at the hotel haven't been announced.
Quote:

A new McDonald's will also be in the 238,000 square foot building, replacing the one torn down earlier this year.

The hotel is named after architect Zachary Taylor Davis, the designer of Wrigley Field.
https://assets.dnainfo.com/photo/201...extralarge.jpg

HowardL Sep 14, 2016 1:43 AM

The hotel design has gotten a lot better since the original Ye Olde Hotel & Inne that we saw a ways back.

I like this. It will activate that depressing block. I like the direction this is going.

marothisu Sep 14, 2016 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowardL (Post 7560477)
The hotel design has gotten a lot better since the original Ye Olde Hotel & Inne that we saw a ways back.

I like this. It will activate that depressing block. I like the direction this is going.

Agreed - it's come a ways since the first renderings. Let's hope it turns out well... Also really cool are the potential four eateries/restaurants. Should enhance the area, hopefully a little bit and elevate the level of food.

the urban politician Sep 14, 2016 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowardL (Post 7560477)
The hotel design has gotten a lot better since the original Ye Olde Hotel & Inne that we saw a ways back.

I like this. It will activate that depressing block. I like the direction this is going.

Exactly. Really happy with how it's evolved

KWILLSKYLINE Sep 14, 2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7560567)
Exactly. Really happy with how it's evolved

Definitely has improved. Looks much better, thats alot of glass. I used to live a couple blocks away. I hope they put up alot of cameras to catch the undeniable idiots who will mess with that frontage. I'm a lifer cubs fan but sadly those dumbasses are still out there that would take a leak on my front porch every other night after the games. I suppose the police force is strong enough at clark/addison to not have to worry about it.

Steely Dan Sep 14, 2016 1:37 PM

wow, what a DRASTIC improvement!!!

UPChicago Sep 14, 2016 1:56 PM

The city should require ROW dedications on all new development in the area because the sidewalks in Wrigleyville are far too narrow.

MayorOfChicago Sep 14, 2016 3:57 PM

I like it a lot better than the 1997 Schaumburg Hilton Garden they had rendered before.

I'm also impressed with the McDonalds and SIX full service restaurants.

aaron38 Sep 14, 2016 3:58 PM

Meant to post these already, taken on Friday Sept 2nd from the party deck.

Plaza Construction
http://i65.tinypic.com/9tiazc.jpg

Mostly the skyline, but can see the demo work south of Addison
http://i66.tinypic.com/vfz6n8.jpg

the urban politician Sep 14, 2016 4:13 PM

It's nice to have the restaurants, but I sort of would prefer to see a mix of other retail as well.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.