SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Halsted Point | 5 Towers | 691 - 309 FT | 65 - 28 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246517)

the urban politician Sep 16, 2021 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9398057)
update from Chicago Yimby:



full article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/09/chi...se-island.html


i love that they're starting out big, with phase 1 being a 500-footer.

there's nothing that tall anywhere around the site; it's really gonna pull the skyline NW

I have a lot of confidence in Onni Group, they seem like a well oiled machine. Their multi-tower project at Wells/Division was pretty smooth sailing.

They seem to like multitower projects that are big enough to give them years of work, but just small enough to be able to pull off in one fell swoop; ie they aren't going to be left holding the bag on a half developed parcel due to bad planning, changes in market conditions, politics, unexpected financial issues, etc which can often occur with these really huge mega-projects like Lakeshore East, 'The 78', Lincoln Yards, etc.

I applaud Onni for their "Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am" approach, even if their designs aren't the best. They get towers built, and that matters.

left of center Sep 16, 2021 10:51 PM

Starting off with a 500 footer, damn. That will make a nice splash!

The river architectural boat tours will be going up a bit further on the north branch once this project gets a few towers up.

Zapatan Sep 17, 2021 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9398481)
Starting off with a 500 footer, damn. That will make a nice splash!

The river architectural boat tours will be going up a bit further on the north branch once this project gets a few towers up.

Agreed, the height is decent for the location but it's the sleek designs that really get me on this one. Beautiful...

BuildThemTaller Sep 17, 2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 9398123)
Is the 691 footer building in Phase 2?

The tall one in the southeast corner is labeled as Subarea C in the presentation, so I assume that would go up after the two on the north end go up first.

Barrelfish Sep 17, 2021 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9398137)
I have a lot of confidence in Onni Group, they seem like a well oiled machine. Their multi-tower project at Wells/Division was pretty smooth sailing.

They seem to like multitower projects that are big enough to give them years of work, but just small enough to be able to pull off in one fell swoop; ie they aren't going to be left holding the bag on a half developed parcel due to bad planning, changes in market conditions, politics, unexpected financial issues, etc which can often occur with these really huge mega-projects like Lakeshore East, 'The 78', Lincoln Yards, etc.

I applaud Onni for their "Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am" approach, even if their designs aren't the best. They get towers built, and that matters.

That speed will be really helpful here. This will be a very isolating place to live as one of the first move-ins. I think the closest restaurant will be the jerk chicken place at Chicago and Halsted, which will require a walk past a material handling yard and crossing two 6 lane roads to get to. The faster they get all the towers up, the faster this area gets critical mass to support retail tenants, the faster they get the park finished, etc.

ardecila Sep 17, 2021 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9398137)
I have a lot of confidence in Onni Group, they seem like a well oiled machine. Their multi-tower project at Wells/Division was pretty smooth sailing.

They seem to like multitower projects that are big enough to give them years of work, but just small enough to be able to pull off in one fell swoop; ie they aren't going to be left holding the bag on a half developed parcel due to bad planning, changes in market conditions, politics, unexpected financial issues, etc which can often occur with these really huge mega-projects like Lakeshore East, 'The 78', Lincoln Yards, etc.

I applaud Onni for their "Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am" approach, even if their designs aren't the best. They get towers built, and that matters.

We'll see. Old Town Park is at the doorstep of two long-standing entertainment areas and a Red Line stop. 3 supermarkets nearby plus a 4th in OTP itself. Walkable to the lakefront. Truly an excellent location once they figured out how to handle the existing Atrium Village affordable housing. The only reason it hadn't developed earlier was Cabrini stigma. If they couldn't keep the towers going up continuously it would be because they f'ed it up.

The Greyhound site is much more isolated. Hefty walk to the Blue Line, although it does have Halsted bus to West Loop and Chicago bus to Mag Mile. No real amenities within an easy walking distance. I think if they want to keep the towers going up they will need to do whatever it takes to bring some amenities in Phase I (grocery store) even if they need to subsidize it for a few years.

More likely they will just front-load a ton of parking into Phase I so the first residents can just drive to get what they need. The renderings did show some weird glass skybridges that suggest some kind of shared parking garage. Overall the development has a 53% parking ratio but I think Phase I will be closer to 100%. As future phases go up they can re-allocate some of the existing parking to serve those phases.

the urban politician Sep 17, 2021 8:03 PM

^ I believe I read that phase one has 200 parking spots for 485 units, plus 20,000 sf retail.

Onni does tend to go with higher parking ratios than I prefer, though. I would hope that unused parking would become paid for public parking, which is a great way to make use of an unused asset and bring patrons of local businesses who don’t live in the immediate vicinity.

Randomguy34 Sep 17, 2021 8:15 PM

The self-storage site north of Halsted Point is the only remaining parcel of land that allows for residential. If Onni proves successful, I wouldn't be surprised if they consider taking over the site. It'll be fun watching Goose Island become our version of NYC's Roosevelt Island, hopefully less suburban and better integrated into the urban fabric.

marothisu Sep 17, 2021 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9399079)
We'll see. Old Town Park is at the doorstep of two long-standing entertainment areas and a Red Line stop. 3 supermarkets nearby plus a 4th in OTP itself. Walkable to the lakefront. Truly an excellent location once they figured out how to handle the existing Atrium Village affordable housing. The only reason it hadn't developed earlier was Cabrini stigma. If they couldn't keep the towers going up continuously it would be because they f'ed it up.

The Greyhound site is much more isolated. Hefty walk to the Blue Line, although it does have Halsted bus to West Loop and Chicago bus to Mag Mile. No real amenities within an easy walking distance. I think if they want to keep the towers going up they will need to do whatever it takes to bring some amenities in Phase I (grocery store) even if they need to subsidize it for a few years.

More likely they will just front-load a ton of parking into Phase I so the first residents can just drive to get what they need. The renderings did show some weird glass skybridges that suggest some kind of shared parking garage. Overall the development has a 53% parking ratio but I think Phase I will be closer to 100%. As future phases go up they can re-allocate some of the existing parking to serve those phases.

I think I did it before, but I'm going to draw parallels to where I've lived in NYC for nearly 3 years to this. It just happens to be right on the water too, and it just so happens to be a half mile walk to the nearest train stop. The same exact distance as 901 N Halsted is to the Chicago Blue Line stop. There are some buildings near me which are a little further distance to the train stop than we are too.

When I first moved here, I thought it would be such a pain and such a long walk. I was dreading it because in Manhattan, my train stop was 1 block away. For most of the year it's not that actually that bad. It's a 10 minute walk. What makes it even better is that my landlord, who owns multiple buildings here, has a free resident shuttle to and from the train stop which makes it easy. It runs every day too and most of the day, at least until something like 8pm.

This area I'm detailing has 7 high rises with 6418 official residents in 2020 (as of the official Census). Very very popular even though it's a half a mile from the train and most people take a train to work, or a ferry. What helps is that each building has some sort of food in it, or cafe...with one building having a little clothing store. One building also has a grocery store.

15 to 20 years ago, this area was completely full of warehouses and vacant lots. It's extremely popular now and something like 4 or 5 high rises are being built right now on the other end of a ~0.75 mile road where those high rises are still a half a mile or more from the nearest train stop. They have 2 or 3 more planned for there too which haven't even started yet. There are other buildings in between this too with many residents too, but it's still about 1/3 mile walk even for them.


I think that if this on Goose Island can do something similar - put in a grocery store, get a few restaurants, coffee shops, etc then honestly I don't see why it can't be successful just like my current neighborhood in NYC...which has some strong-ish parallels to be honest. I don't think anybody in their right mind 20 years ago would have ever foreseen what happened to our neighborhood in NYC but here we are. To be quite frank, it's probably the nicest neighborhood I've lived in either Chicago or NYC from an overall perspective because of what they've done here - but that's been a huge WIP over many years.


Just to give an idea, that many years ago would have looked like this over there (this one is close by - you can see high rises in the background):
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7493...7i16384!8i8192

Today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7485...7i16384!8i8192

thegoatman Jul 2, 2022 11:42 PM

Any updates on this? Am I tripping or was this suppose to start early this year with the demolition of the greyhound station?

galleyfox Jul 3, 2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9666081)
Any updates on this? Am I tripping or was this suppose to start early this year with the demolition of the greyhound station?

Quote:

Next steps for the development include the formal filing of the Planned Development application and the eventual hearing by the Chicago Plan Commission, zoning committee, and Chicago City Council. Greyhound is leasing the site through January 2022, with demolition beginning directly afterwards. Phase 1 will commence immediately and last between 24 and 30 months. Delivery schedule for the subsequent phases is contingent on market demands.
https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/04/onn...se-island.html

marothisu Jul 3, 2022 1:15 AM

It passed the plan commission last August (2021) and passed zoning a few weeks later in mid September.


IIRC they are supposed to start late summer or fall this year.

thegoatman Jul 3, 2022 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9666142)
It passed the plan commission last August (2021) and passed zoning a few weeks later in mid September.


IIRC they are supposed to start late summer or fall this year.

Okay good. They said they were starting with a 500 footer so i'm very excited to see this rise. Will make an immediate impact on the skyline. Also the riverwalk

Zapatan Aug 10, 2022 2:04 AM

That's exciting. Will the 500 footer rise solo or will the other towers join it rather than wait for completion?

Gotta love Onni, they get things done

rivernorthlurker Aug 10, 2022 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9698420)
That's exciting. Will the 500 footer rise solo or will the other towers join it rather than wait for completion?

Gotta love Onni, they get things done

I'm guessing each phase rises solo cus it says it's a 10 year plan. Obviously plans can change though. (like the fact a casino is now going to be down the street)

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/08/pla...se-island.html

Says the 500 footer is part of the first phase as well as a $5.9M low rise, but that was supposed to start Q1.

I didnt see that they purchased (I think?) another 7 acres close to that site

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2022...-first-casino/

Quote:

While Onni hasn’t revealed specific plans for the site, people familiar with the company’s plan said Onni will probably build a residential project. The site could accommodate one as large as 1.5 million square feet with as many as 1,000 apartments.
They have to be considering some plan changes given the purchase of that other property as well as the fact that the Tribune Site ended up being selected for the casino down the street.

Such an insane amount of development might be forthcoming along the North Branch connecting Fulton Market to the Salvation Army development, to the casino, to Halsted Point and Onni's other recent purchase, to Lincoln Yards.

Toasty Joe Aug 10, 2022 3:12 AM

would the tallest building be Onni's tallest worldwide?

Zapatan Aug 10, 2022 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9698466)
would the tallest building be Onni's tallest worldwide?

They’re building a 760 footer in LA which is U/C supposedly, aside from that, not sure.

Quote:

They have to be considering some plan changes given the purchase of that other property as well as the fact that the Tribune Site ended up being selected for the casino down the street.
Good plan changes I hope though the way things are going these days maybe not

Quote:

I'm guessing each phase rises solo cus it says it's a 10 year plan.
Good to know we’ll wait 10 years for a 691 footer :(

ardecila Aug 10, 2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9698436)
They have to be considering some plan changes given the purchase of that other property as well as the fact that the Tribune Site ended up being selected for the casino down the street.

Such an insane amount of development might be forthcoming along the North Branch connecting Fulton Market to the Salvation Army development, to the casino, to Halsted Point and Onni's other recent purchase, to Lincoln Yards.

The Chicago Ave bridge and the Chicago/Halsted intersection will also be under construction at the same time as Halsted Point and the casino. That area will be a huge cluster of activity. We don't usually see big infrastructure projects and big private development occurring at the same time...

thegoatman Aug 10, 2022 1:49 PM

Have a feeling this is gonna be downsized like every other project in the city

Zapatan Aug 10, 2022 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9698706)
Have a feeling this is gonna be downsized like every other project in the city

And Value Engineered ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.